Author Topic: Our attempted draft night trade  (Read 2280 times)

Our attempted draft night trade
« on: December 01, 2015, 11:37:22 AM »

Offline alldaboston

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 324
http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/240007/Celtics-Tried-To-Use-Hornets-No-9-Pick-To-Trade-Up-With-Knicks-To-No-4

Apparently we were trying to trade to #4. Not to take Porzingis, as many here say, but rather, Winslow. What do you guys think about this?
I could very well see the Hawks... starting Taurean Prince at the 3, who is already better than Crowder, imo.

you vs. the guy she tells you not to worry about

Re: Our attempted draft night trade
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2015, 11:45:47 AM »

Offline TheFlex

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 367
I still can't get over how stubbornly mismanaged the Hornets are.

"We were never close." Really? After everyone now knows what a bunch of idiots they are because of the proposal's leaked details, they want to double down and make it seem like they never even considered it?

Draft: 8 first rounders in next 5 years.

Cap space: $24 mil.

https://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague/

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2015, 11:50:12 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Winslow at 9 would've been great, but giving up whatever it would take to get him at 4 feels like an overpay now.  It's still early but he's looked a lot like an MKG type when I've seen him play: really good defender with excellent athleticism but not a lot of offensive skill. 

Haven't seen much admittedly, and he did shoot 42% from the college 3 line, so there's at least some hope of developing good range over time.  But 4 seems like a reach in hindsight.

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2015, 11:53:08 AM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
"We were never close," is what the Knicks GM said.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2015, 11:53:23 AM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238
I still can't get over how stubbornly mismanaged the Hornets are.

"We were never close." Really? After everyone now knows what a bunch of idiots they are because of the proposal's leaked details, they want to double down and make it seem like they never even considered it?

Mismanaged is being too classy and kind.

The Hornets didn't do this because they panicked and hadn't scouted prospects to be able to make the 15th and 16th picks. They and Jordan suck and their suckitude cost us Porzingis/Hezonja, whoever.

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2015, 11:55:34 AM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 540
If that had gone down, Danny would be getting hammered now for taking Winslow over Porzingis.
That said Winslow strikes me as a guy with 'upside' but whether that upside is being an All Star certainly remains to be seen.  The fact that Danny thought that much of him means I'll always keep an eye on Winslow.

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2015, 11:56:32 AM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
I was p---ed when we didn't trade up to get Winslow this year.

But at this point and time I'd rather have the Nets pick (not to mention Rozier, Hunter and another first) than Winslow
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2015, 12:32:53 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
getting to 9 to get Winslow I could understand and support.  getting to 4 to get Winslow seems like overkill and overpay

« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2015, 12:40:06 PM »

Offline TheFlex

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 367
"We were never close," is what the Knicks GM said.

This makes more sense. Still have the same feelings about CHA's FO.

Draft: 8 first rounders in next 5 years.

Cap space: $24 mil.

https://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague/

« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2015, 12:42:58 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be
Has Danny ever discussed what he thought of Porzingis?  Curious.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2015, 01:01:48 PM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4593
I feel like I only ever hear about the Charlotte trade, but if Danny really was targeting Winslow this hard, how come we never hear about the other trades?

The way I understand it, Danny was trying to pull off a 3-way with the Knicks and Charlotte to draft Winslow at #4, but the Knicks turned it down.  Danny pushed hard again when Winslow was still available at #9.  But wouldn't there be the same or similar trades available for the Heat Orlando, Sacramento, Denver, Detroit, and Miami when Winslow kept dropping?  How come we only rip on Charlotte here?  Or has Mario Hezonja been so good that Orlando gets a pass?

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2015, 01:07:30 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
I feel like I only ever hear about the Charlotte trade, but if Danny really was targeting Winslow this hard, how come we never hear about the other trades?

The way I understand it, Danny was trying to pull off a 3-way with the Knicks and Charlotte to draft Winslow at #4, but the Knicks turned it down.  Danny pushed hard again when Winslow was still available at #9.  But wouldn't there be the same or similar trades available for the Heat Orlando, Sacramento, Denver, Detroit, and Miami when Winslow kept dropping?  How come we only rip on Charlotte here?  Or has Mario Hezonja been so good that Orlando gets a pass?

Fair point. Presumably, it's because those other teams never gave the impression their 1st rounder was available. IIRC, SAC was supposedly locked onto WCS, and Detroit was definitely going to take either Stanley or Winslow. I don't recall any buzz about ORL or DEN being pick sellers heading into the draft, but I could be misremembering.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2015, 01:19:03 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I really think that Winslow will be a good player, but can you imagine what the reaction would be if we had moved up to #4 and hadn't taken Porzingis?  Ouch.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2015, 01:46:20 PM »

Offline The One

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 203
Winslow at 9 =  ;D

Winslow at 4 =  ???

« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2015, 10:54:29 PM »

Offline Future Celtics Owner

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 191
  • Celtic's only raise championship Banners
If Ainge did his job and was not negligent last season then we could have had our cake and eat it too:
1:We should have at the minimum been selecting from the 10th or 11th pick
       - Ainge did not give Stevens the proper respect and kept Bass, Gigi, Jonas when he should have waived them after the trade deadline. We ended up waiving Gigi anyways and Bass was def not in our future plans. Had Ainge done his job and protected this team the Gigi, Bass, and Jonas crew would have at minimum added 3 more losses to our record, maybe more.

Ainge did a fantastic job getting IT but after that he should have talked to CBS and told him:"Hey I got you a possible All-Star that is on an unbelievable team friendly contract, so he will be around for awhile; but I can not keep a few of the bench players on the team because they are not in our long term future and as a team we need to start playing without them so we can prepare and so that they do not put us in a position that hurts us for the future. So Brad keep up the great coaching and enjoy the new guy(IT) but I am waiving Bass, Jonas, and Gigi so they do not inflate our record before they leave for dif teams."

2. We keep all our picks and draft Winslow with our own pick....maybe we also trade players for the 11th pick and draft Myles turner as well(I like him better IMO) but they trade value of Winslow was higher than Turner at that time, still it might be, but I like Turner and think he has a better future and would help our team much more....but it does not matter because in the end we get either 1 of them and still draft RJ and Mickie.

3. Having Justise or Myles would give us a legit asset if we wanted to trade for a disgruntled star. Plus we would still have all our picks in tote.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2015, 11:03:41 PM by Future Celtics Owner »