Author Topic: Evan Turner: PLEASE STOP SHOOTING THREES!!!  (Read 2886 times)

Evan Turner: PLEASE STOP SHOOTING THREES!!!
« on: December 01, 2015, 04:08:24 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
Why on earth is he getting the green light to throw these bricks up?
 He's shooting more per game than last year and his percentage is 13.8% !!!

It's not like he's shooting with less than 5 seconds on the clock like Sullinger's shots or Amir's long range attempts.

He's never been a 3 point shooter so why the hell is Stevens giving him so much leeway to shoot these bricks.

I'm really loving Turner's overall game this year, his defense is awesome and he's turned into one of the best 6tth men in the league, but he shouldn't be shooting from outside 12 feet.

What's everyone's thoughts on this?
When does Stevens start yanking the chain? I'd rather Sully or Amir shoot threes over Turner and he's just taking waaaayy too many.
Very frustrating.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2015, 04:39:12 AM by chambers »
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

Re: Evan Turner: PLEASE STOP SHOOTING THREES!!!
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2015, 05:53:42 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
95% of what Turner does is frustrating. I can't wait to see him pack his bags.

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2015, 06:32:19 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
Not that I disagree wih thw premise, but what's with the timing? Had a great game last night, only took 1 three pointer... nothing to lose my head over.

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2015, 06:54:01 AM »

Offline GreenWarrior

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 228

when he leaves we better have someone that has some ability to get his own shot. because he's the only guy right now that can.

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2015, 08:03:51 AM »

Offline celts55

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 570
Can we add Thomas to the stop chucking up 3's list?
Is it me, or does he miss a large amount of those pull up 3's, usually when the Celtics are on a run.
Mid range and taking it to the hoop, he's fine, but I cringe when he chucks up a 3.

While Turner doesn't shot them well, it seems at least he takes them when he's wide open. 

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2015, 08:15:10 AM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 391
because he's wide open. I guarantee he's working on that 3 in practice. CBS isn't yanking him out because that's the system. Move the ball. Take the shot when you're open.
- LilRip

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2015, 08:17:59 AM »

Offline The One

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 203
I'm ok, not thrilled, with it.

His overall game is a definite plus so he gets a little wiggle room.

If he goes, I hope there's a backup plan.

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2015, 08:40:15 AM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238
because he's wide open. I guarantee he's working on that 3 in practice. CBS isn't yanking him out because that's the system. Move the ball. Take the shot when you're open.

This exactly.

IF he develops that 3-ball, he will be one very valuable player. Hell, when he plays within himself ( which he does most of the time) he already is a valuable player.

He is not afraid of the big stage, not afraid of the big shot, not afraid to take free throws in crunch time and not afraid to take it to the rim.

Despite what a lot of folk think, Stevens trusts him and seems to depend on and truly like him. I hope he stays around after this year on a reasonable deal.

« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2015, 08:50:40 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

This is what we call confirmation bias.

« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2015, 08:51:00 AM »

Offline Ed Hollison

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 195
Most of us might not like to admit it, but Turner has been excellent this year. His defense last night was superb. Gets his hands in passing lanes, plays solid on the ball defense, clearly playing within the team concept. The other day Stevens touted him specifically, saying he's "always in the right position" or something along those lines.

We all love to hate Evan Turner, but the truth is that he's been a very valuable asset to this team since we signed him. He offers something we don't have much of -- ball handling and 1-on-1 offensive ability -- and is playing very good D this year. And he hasn't been a ball hog. And oh yeah, he makes $3.3m this year.
"A thought of hatred must be destroyed by a more powerful thought of love."

http://fruittreeblog.com

« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2015, 08:54:53 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885

This is what we call confirmation bias.

I prefer to call it general observation.

« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2015, 08:56:14 AM »

Offline Ed Hollison

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 195
On the subject of Turner's threes specifically... There's no getting around the fact that he's a poor 3-point shooter, about 30% for his career and 27% last year with the Celtics. My guess is that Stevens is telling him to keep shooting, in part because he believes he can make them, and in part because he knows it helps stretch the floor and provides opportunities for others. If Turner ever turned into a legit threat from 3, let's say 35%, I honestly believe he'd be a fringe all-star.
"A thought of hatred must be destroyed by a more powerful thought of love."

http://fruittreeblog.com

« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2015, 09:01:37 AM »

Offline apc

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 437
I will keep him for that 5%.
He is the best guy on our team to give the ball to when your play is broken.
He is clutch.
(and very funny on twitter)
I said in the past he should be gone to make room for other players, but i take it back.

« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2015, 09:16:15 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.

Obviously he's doing it because CBS let's him and he probably worked on it all summer.
Unfortunately Evan Turner is taking low percentage shots that are taking away better quality looks from guys like Bradley, Crowder and IT.

It was painful vs the Wizards and Magic.
The question is, when does enough become enough?
He's attempted 26 threes this season and hit 4.

I'm glad he's trying to work on the shot because if he could complete his game with a reliable 3 point shot he'd be worth $15 million a year....But at what point do you cut him off?

Side note: most would agree that Turner has been a much better player this year. His defense has been awesome and his finishing around the rim has been really solid- he seems to have taken a step forward which is awesome.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2015, 09:37:41 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I've found Evan Turner generally less annoying this year.  He's been especially valuable with Smart out.

Sometimes, watching Evan Turner is like seeing the answer to the question: "What if Paul Pierce played during a time when nobody took threes?"  That's fun.

When Smart is healthy, though, I still find him superfluous since he's just not very good off the ball.

I frequently enjoy his baseline fades, dribble pull-ups just outside the paint, and especially his late game drives to the basket.  It's just that in the context of the team offense, those things make a lot less sense, especially since ET can't play off the ball effectively and two of our best players are Isaiah Thomas and Marcus Smart -- guys who we want handling the ball.

Especially if you add the fact that we spent a first round pick on yet another ball-handler who needs to get some opportunities to run the offense.  Plus a swingman shooter who could use more time, too.

I think Evan Turner makes a lot more sense if you look at him as our second best point guard.  He's not better than IT, and we have two other combo guards whose development is more important to the team's future.  That tempers the enthusiasm for him even when he's doing well.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain