Author Topic: Bradley had a great month  (Read 3310 times)

Re: Bradley had a great month
« Reply #30 on: December 01, 2015, 11:43:02 PM »

Offline chilidawg

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 261
"Reminds me of Larry Bird"?  "Better than Ray Allen"?  I like AB, but he needs 10 years of his last month's production before we start comparing him to Ray.  And don't even start with Bird.

« Reply #31 on: December 01, 2015, 11:51:41 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
17.2 points, 2.4 rebounds, 2.1 assists, 1.7 steals with 48%/42%/72% shooting in 30.1mpg.

I'd like to see what happens if we start giving him consistent 35+ minutes like tonight.  Those numbers are excellent.  I hope he keeps trending up.

a) you're trolling us all
b) another symptom of your mid-late 20s (?) bipolar II onset
c) he's on your fantasy team
d) you are avery bradley
e) you have been kidnapped by avery bradley

I'm going (d). Trolling is too easy, and something has changed recently... but I don't think it's (b) because you're not hypomanic (yet?). Doubtful of (c) because LarBrd wouldn't deal with a Celtic on his fantasy team unless it was _____ :) , and (e) doesn't make sense because if avery bradley kidnapped you, your feedback on his game would drive him to immediately give you back to CsBlog. It's (d). LarBrd is Avery Bradley. Case closed.

And CsBlog is D. Wade :)
« Last Edit: December 02, 2015, 12:20:42 AM by tarheelsxxiii »
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #32 on: December 02, 2015, 12:15:53 AM »

Offline CelticPride2016

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 247
"Reminds me of Larry Bird"?  "Better than Ray Allen"?  I like AB, but he needs 10 years of his last month's production before we start comparing him to Ray.  And don't even start with Bird.

Avery Bradley shooting reminds me of how I feel whenever a great shooter lets one go. I think it is going in. I only mentioned Larry Bird because the person who started the thread uses that name.

Avery Bradley this last month is as good a player as Ray Allen ever was. That's his new ceiling to be better than him. That's my opinion. Ray wasn't that great. He was good. It was mostly Pierce and KG why we won the title.

He never won anything before then. He put up a lot of points on bad teams while being a sieve on defense?

Avery is nailing his shots. At what point does one admit he is good at it and not just getting lucky?

Avery was better one of those years they were both on the roster. Doc was stupid and/or too stubborn to bench the diva Ray Allen. Ray started pouting.

« Reply #33 on: December 02, 2015, 12:37:23 AM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
Avery has improved as a three point shooter, both in terms of percentage and in terms of shot selection.  I think overall I'd say that Avery has just gradually refined his game within the bounds of the niche he's figured out for himself.  He's worked very hard to do it, and I admire him for that. 

In general, I don't think we recognize players often enough for simply knowing what they do well and continously working to improve within that.  I want to recognize Avery for doing that.

I'm glad to see people are recognising Bradley.

I have always felt that guys who put in work deserve respect and recognition, and Bradley has always been one of those guys.  Don't think I have ever seen him take a game off, as far as effort goes.

Same reason I respect Smart and Crowder - no matter how limited their games may seem at times, I always respect the effort.

I feel it's something that's greatly under-appreciated in the NBA, because I really believe that guys who have the work ethic will become solid NBA players.  Guys with decent talent and incredible work ethic often beat guys with outstanding talent and mediocre work ethic. 

As long as AB continues to be the hardest working guy on the team (or at least equal hardest) then I think it's almost a given that he will continue to improve as a player.

« Reply #34 on: December 02, 2015, 12:37:34 AM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
He still doesn't bring a lot to the table if his shot isn't falling, but so long as he's shooting flames it doesn't matter.

I get what you are saying, but I also feel that sometimes people get too caught up on the whole box score thing.

Every Bradley has been, for years on end, a solid offensive player and a very good defensive player.  Those two things don't often go hand in hand.

This year he has lifted his offense from "solid" to "very good" and his defense from "very good" to "outstanding". 

It's easy to get caught up on a player's ability to stuff stat sheets, but then look at Rajon Rondo in his last season with the Celtics.  He was averaging a near triple double Per-36 (9.4 points, 12.2 assists, 8.5 rebounds, 1.9 steals) before the trade and yet the Celtics were clearly a significantly better team after he got traded away (his real plus minus of -3.21, one of the worst among NBA PG's, tells us this is no surprise).

While it's nice to have guys who can surprise you every night with a triple double, it's not always necessary for a player to help you win.  At the end of the day basketball is about scoring, and stopping your opponent from scoring.  If you are an individual who can score and defend at a high level, then you're doing a lot to help your team win.

Avery is now the team's best three point shooter...better than Isaiah.

Bradley - 2.4 made per game
Thomas - 2.2 made per game

Bradley - 41.8% on threes
Thomas - 32% on threes

I have to admit...I didn't see that coming.

This doesn't really surprise me to be honest.

Last year Bradley averaged 4.6 3PA per game and shot them at pretty respectable 35.2%.  In 2013/14 he averaged 3.3 3PM per game and shot them at 39.5%. 

If you follow the trend over his career, Bradley has increased his 3PA Per Game by at least 25% every single season since he's been in the league (0.0, 0.8, 2.5, 3.3, 4.6, 5.7) and has shot 36.6% for his career. 

If he continues at this rate, it will be the third time (in 6 seasons) that he has averaged around 40% from three. 

He's only had two seasons in which he's shot under 35% from three - on was his rookie year, the other was 2012/13 (after returning from double-shoulder surgery).   When he's been

Last year Bradley shot 35.2% on 4.6 attempts, and Thomas (as a Celtic) shot 34.5% on 7 attempts.  If you factor in attempts Thomas looks like the better shooter that year, but if you just look at percentages Bradley was actually more accurate.

Kid has been a quality shooter for a long time now, he just hasn't ever really received the recognition because he has been pretty inconsistent from one game to the next. 

That seems to have changed this year, though.  In the 14 games he has started he's shot > 45% from the field in 9 of them, and has scored 15 or more in 10 of them.  That means this year he has had far more good games than bad ones. 

I've seen AB go on runs before, but I don't think I've seen him go on one this long/strong.

I still am holding out hopes that Bradley's greatest value to the Celtics is whoever comes back to us in the trade he is involved in.

You do realise that (aside from Thomas) Bradley is looking like about the only consistent bright spot on the team this year, right?

He and Thomas are probably the only two guys on this team who have contributed with any kind of consistency.  Everybody else has been up and down like a yo-yo.

Yet Bradley isn't the type of household name that's likely to bring back a great piece in a trade.  I'd suggest he's probably much more valuable for us on the court, then he is as an asset.

D Wade

Giv me dat block

By Bradley is my favorite Celtics play so this year . .....caused a fist pump,......yeah that felt good !

I have to say that so far...he has been the Celtics best player. 

It's a close call between Bradley and Thomas, but Bradley's better shooting percentages and defensive ability ice it for me.

« Reply #35 on: December 02, 2015, 12:45:41 AM »

Offline Greyman

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 211
Not ready to jump on the AB is better than Ray Allen band wagon. I am a big AB fan though, he came into the team just at a time where he got to play with PP and KG. I think a lot about his attitude reflects that. He has been our most consistent player since that time, which on occasions has been bleak. His form has dropped at stages and stats haven't always reflected his contribution.

I hope AB has come of age now as a player. I think playing through a year or two where he has been team leader without much support, and still very young, didn't help his progress. Also his injuries. It is like he has broke free now and can really show what he can do. Has he hit his ceiling now? I am not sure but if he keeps playing like he is and scoring points I am very happy with that.

I don't see AB as a trade piece. I think he is the sort of player who helps you attract other players, even all stars. And don't forget, for a season or two he was doing his defence and Rondo's.

« Reply #36 on: December 02, 2015, 12:47:16 AM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
Avery Bradley this last month is as good a player as Ray Allen ever was. That's his new ceiling to be better than him. That's my opinion. Ray wasn't that great. He was good. It was mostly Pierce and KG why we won the title.

I completely agree with you about Bradley deserving recognition - I've always been one of the biggest supporters of what the does.

The above is a bit unrealistic though, and arguably even a bit disrespectful to Ray Allen. 

People on here often seem to only look at Ray based on the player he was when he came to Boston, at the age of 32, and as the third option in our big three.

Over 5 seasons In Seattle (right before coming to Boston) Ray Allen averaged 24.6 points, 4.7 rebounds, 4.2 assists and 1.3 steals - at his best he was a legitimate superstar (of James Harden proportions) and one of the greatest players in the NBA, period.

So to say Bradley this past month has been as good as Ray ever was...well, no.

But he's been great, and I love seeing him get recognition :)

« Reply #37 on: December 02, 2015, 02:51:24 PM »

Offline CelticPride2016

• Jayson Tatum

I completely agree with you about Bradley deserving recognition - I've always been one of the biggest supporters of what the does.

The above is a bit unrealistic though, and arguably even a bit disrespectful to Ray Allen. 

People on here often seem to only look at Ray based on the player he was when he came to Boston, at the age of 32, and as the third option in our big three.

Over 5 seasons In Seattle (right before coming to Boston) Ray Allen averaged 24.6 points, 4.7 rebounds, 4.2 assists and 1.3 steals - at his best he was a legitimate superstar (of James Harden proportions) and one of the greatest players in the NBA, period.

So to say Bradley this past month has been as good as Ray ever was...well, no.

But he's been great, and I love seeing him get recognition :)

I used some hyperbole. I can't seem to find Bradley stats for the last ten games or whichever will make him look better. Stats are for losers, sure, but I do notice Ray in 36 minute stats did not score as much as it seems. Ray was also the better rebounder and got more assists. Bradley has him on defense, though, with double the steals.

Ray looks rather weak if one considers it's a team game and those teams he racked up points on never won much.

Also, I have a foggy memory of Tommy Heinsohn or someone saying Ray might torch you with shooting, but you can easily get it back on the other side.

I'm just saying why can't Bradley become an all-star? Why can't he become a better all-around player than Ray Allen based on the small sample size?

A lot of other people like to make trade conjecture. At least I am visualizing an actual Celtic and what his trajectory might be.

« Reply #38 on: December 02, 2015, 02:53:26 PM »

Offline CelticPride2016

• Jayson Tatum
I thought Ray Allen was disowned by Celtics Nation for being a turncoat.

« Reply #39 on: December 02, 2015, 03:15:46 PM »

Offline chilidawg

• Bailey Howell
I thought Ray Allen was disowned by Celtics Nation for being a turncoat.

Not by me.

« Reply #40 on: December 02, 2015, 03:24:13 PM »

Offline chilidawg

• Bailey Howell
He still doesn't bring a lot to the table if his shot isn't falling, but so long as he's shooting flames it doesn't matter.

I get what you are saying, but I also feel that sometimes people get too caught up on the whole box score thing.

Every Bradley has been, for years on end, a solid offensive player and a very good defensive player.  Those two things don't often go hand in hand.

This year he has lifted his offense from "solid" to "very good" and his defense from "very good" to "outstanding". 

It's easy to get caught up on a player's ability to stuff stat sheets, but then look at Rajon Rondo in his last season with the Celtics.  He was averaging a near triple double Per-36 (9.4 points, 12.2 assists, 8.5 rebounds, 1.9 steals) before the trade and yet the Celtics were clearly a significantly better team after he got traded away (his real plus minus of -3.21, one of the worst among NBA PG's, tells us this is no surprise).

While it's nice to have guys who can surprise you every night with a triple double, it's not always necessary for a player to help you win.  At the end of the day basketball is about scoring, and stopping your opponent from scoring.  If you are an individual who can score and defend at a high level, then you're doing a lot to help your team win.

Avery is now the team's best three point shooter...better than Isaiah.

Bradley - 2.4 made per game
Thomas - 2.2 made per game

Bradley - 41.8% on threes
Thomas - 32% on threes

I have to admit...I didn't see that coming.

This doesn't really surprise me to be honest.

Last year Bradley averaged 4.6 3PA per game and shot them at pretty respectable 35.2%.  In 2013/14 he averaged 3.3 3PM per game and shot them at 39.5%. 

If you follow the trend over his career, Bradley has increased his 3PA Per Game by at least 25% every single season since he's been in the league (0.0, 0.8, 2.5, 3.3, 4.6, 5.7) and has shot 36.6% for his career. 

If he continues at this rate, it will be the third time (in 6 seasons) that he has averaged around 40% from three. 

He's only had two seasons in which he's shot under 35% from three - on was his rookie year, the other was 2012/13 (after returning from double-shoulder surgery).   When he's been

Last year Bradley shot 35.2% on 4.6 attempts, and Thomas (as a Celtic) shot 34.5% on 7 attempts.  If you factor in attempts Thomas looks like the better shooter that year, but if you just look at percentages Bradley was actually more accurate.

Kid has been a quality shooter for a long time now, he just hasn't ever really received the recognition because he has been pretty inconsistent from one game to the next. 

That seems to have changed this year, though.  In the 14 games he has started he's shot > 45% from the field in 9 of them, and has scored 15 or more in 10 of them.  That means this year he has had far more good games than bad ones. 

I've seen AB go on runs before, but I don't think I've seen him go on one this long/strong.

I still am holding out hopes that Bradley's greatest value to the Celtics is whoever comes back to us in the trade he is involved in.

You do realise that (aside from Thomas) Bradley is looking like about the only consistent bright spot on the team this year, right?

He and Thomas are probably the only two guys on this team who have contributed with any kind of consistency.  Everybody else has been up and down like a yo-yo.

Yet Bradley isn't the type of household name that's likely to bring back a great piece in a trade.  I'd suggest he's probably much more valuable for us on the court, then he is as an asset.

D Wade

Giv me dat block

By Bradley is my favorite Celtics play so this year . .....caused a fist pump,......yeah that felt good !

I have to say that so far...he has been the Celtics best player. 

It's a close call between Bradley and Thomas, but Bradley's better shooting percentages and defensive ability ice it for me.

Refering to the bolded above, Sullinger and Crowder have been very good as well, I'd put them in our top 3 with Bradley.  IT is shooting inconsistently and is a liablility defensively.  RPM has them at:

Sullinger 3.22 (25th in the league!)
Crowder 3.05 (27th)
Thomas 1.88 (44th)
Bradley 1.23 (71st)

Not bad to get 4 ranked that high.  Bradley has played better than his numbers over the last 10, which is why I'd put him ahead of Thomas right now.

« Reply #41 on: December 02, 2015, 03:49:02 PM »

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804
Think AB is about to come back down from this streak, I did a quick skim but I think this is our first 2 consecutive off days since he returned. If he does I blame the nba scheduling! ;D  :o
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)