Author Topic: Bradley had a great month  (Read 3309 times)

Re: Bradley had a great month
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2015, 10:36:17 AM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
Remember all the people complaining about his contract and him in general? Looks pretty good now

He still doesn't bring a lot to the table if his shot isn't falling, but so long as he's shooting flames it doesn't matter.

Agree completely.

I still am holding out hopes that Bradley's greatest value to the Celtics is whoever comes back to us in the trade he is involved in.
His d has been really good this year imo.

Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2015, 10:38:11 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1604
  • What a Pub Should Be
His contract certainly doesn't look like crap right now.  Remember the outrage when the Celtics signed him to it? 

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2015, 10:58:38 AM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
Remember all the people complaining about his contract and him in general? Looks pretty good now

He still doesn't bring a lot to the table if his shot isn't falling, but so long as he's shooting flames it doesn't matter.

Not a special defender anymore??

Based purely on eye test, his defense looks like Circa 2012 Honey Badger to me these days.

It's been fun to watch. 
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2015, 12:30:14 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

I think he has his moments (he loves blocking Wade), but he's always been overrated as a defender against anybody much bigger than him. 
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2015, 12:31:06 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
His contract certainly doesn't look like crap right now.  Remember the outrage when the Celtics signed him to it?

It happens with every player Danny signs these days.  Brandon Bass, Jeff Green, and now Avery.  Danny usually has a pretty good sense of the market.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2015, 01:45:23 PM »

Offline CelticPride2016

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 247

I think he has his moments (he loves blocking Wade), but he's always been overrated as a defender against anybody much bigger than him.

I think people tend to develop opinions and stick with them despite years passing and the player improving. The consensus may doom predict such and such as garbage, but of course a career is ongoing until the fat lady sings or Danny trades them.

This is happening with Olynyk. He is definitely a bit disappointing, but he is a long-term project. He is not the soft player we signed. He has bulked up. He is clearly much better on defense now than last year.

But for many who early and often attacked him (in general, I'm not attacking PhoSita), people seem committed to his failing in order to look good. It will never matter what such doghouse players produce on the court. They are trapped within old data and eye tests.

I was wrong about Bradley. Who else? I have in the past come out against Sully and Evan Turner. It's usually great to be wrong! I don't want to be wrong with Olynyk who I am a big supporter of.

I hope to be wrong about James Young. He is currently the only player on the roster I have given up on.

« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2015, 04:06:27 PM »

Offline The One

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 203
I think he's playing great...so do his teammates.

http://www.nba.com/celtics/news/sidebar/post-113015-bradleys-shooting-and-d-lead-cs-to-w-over-wade-heat

"But it wasn’t just his offense that silenced the Heat crowd and led Boston to a win. Bradley’s defense was just as sensational.

Miami, and in particular Wade, hung around and attempted to push for a win during crunch time.

Wade scored eight straight points for Miami over a stretch of just two minutes and 30 seconds midway through the fourth quarter. He had the hot hand and someone needed to stop him. Bradley was that man, and he understood exactly what his teammates needed him to do.

'It’s just always going to come down to getting stops on D-Wade,' he said point-blank.

Bradley got those stops down the stretch. Wade went scoreless over the final 3:23 of the game while Bradley was draped all over him. Bradley ripped Wade for a steal, blocked one of his shots and helped to force him into three straight misses to close the game.

As Turner said, 'He stepped up and played some great defense.'"

« Reply #22 on: December 01, 2015, 04:16:10 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2951
D Wade

Giv me dat block

By Bradley is my favorite Celtics play so this year . .....caused a fist pump,......yeah that felt good !

« Reply #23 on: December 01, 2015, 04:46:12 PM »

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804
BOOO these threads!!!! The other one didn't jinx him, but this one surely will, no way is an LB thread giving props to AB going to be good. LOL

In case anyone (other thread) thinks I'm serious about these jinxing comments, I am not. If AB returns to last season's form, I won't think it's from these threads, it is what it is and that AB wasn't a bad player either.
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)

« Reply #24 on: December 01, 2015, 05:00:03 PM »

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 419

We all loved him when we had those Rondo/Bradley/Pierce/KG/
line ups.  We just couldn't keep those teams healthy all at once and by the time he got a little better, he was now "boring."

« Reply #25 on: December 01, 2015, 08:40:41 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 736
He's playing great. When he's knocking down 3's and making smart cuts off the ball, he helps a ton. I do wish he could be trusted to handle the ball more and create for others or rebound better than he does.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #26 on: December 01, 2015, 09:02:21 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
But for many who early and often attacked him (in general, I'm not attacking PhoSita), people seem committed to his failing in order to look good. It will never matter what such doghouse players produce on the court. They are trapped within old data and eye tests.

With Bradley, my feelings haven't really changed since a couple seasons ago, that's true.  But Bradley is still not very productive in areas other than shooting, and he still doesn't get to the line much even when his outside shot is falling.  He's still not a great driver or playmaker.  This year he's getting a fair number of steals, which is nice.  He had fallen off in that area in years past.

Avery has improved as a three point shooter, both in terms of percentage and in terms of shot selection.  I think overall I'd say that Avery has just gradually refined his game within the bounds of the niche he's figured out for himself.  He's worked very hard to do it, and I admire him for that. 

In general, I don't think we recognize players often enough for simply knowing what they do well and continously working to improve within that.  I want to recognize Avery for doing that.

AB is a better overall player this year than a couple years ago.  I didn't expect that he'd improve much at all after we signed him to that 4 year contract.  I'm hopeful this means I was wrong and this new flamethrowing Bradley is just what we can expect moving forward. 

But "this year" has only been about a month worth of games, so far.  Seems like there's a good chance he's just having a really nice month shooting the ball.  He's done that before.

I think you're right about the tendency to develop an opinion about a player and stick to it.  I try my best not to be anchored to previous impressions, but it can be difficult.  It's also important not to get overly excited about a player putting together a few weeks of improved play.  Most NBA players have ups and downs.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2015, 09:07:22 PM by PhoSita »
- Mark Twain

« Reply #27 on: December 01, 2015, 10:06:45 PM »

Offline CelticPride2016

• Jayson Tatum

With Bradley, my feelings haven't really changed since a couple seasons ago, that's true.  But Bradley is still not very productive in areas other than shooting, and he still doesn't get to the line much even when his outside shot is falling.  He's still not a great driver or playmaker.  This year he's getting a fair number of steals, which is nice.  He had fallen off in that area in years past.

I agree Bradley's defense has been much better so far this season. I personally believe he has become a top notch player. You are correct he still has trouble against some tall sg's. So you just have to find someone else to cover those assignments.

I disagree with you that he is unproductive in areas other than shooting for offense. I admit it's only been a month, but the new and improved eye test tells me he can dribble and pass as good as Ray Allen. It's only been a month, but I think he figured out how to drive to the hoop and finish. I think he is a million times better on offense than he has ever been. He had a breakthrough summer of training.

I will go a step further and say he is now a premier shooter. Ray was never considered a good defender. He was taller than Avery, but that was it. I think Avery Bradley's new ceiling is a player better than Ray Allen.  Bradley turned himself into a pure shooter. I am going all in with Avery Bradley. He is the anti-headache for Brad Stevens.

Crowder is the guy I worry about, if I had to pick a rotation player. I never trust his shot. He is cringe-worthy going to the hoop, though sometimes it works out. I want to believe but currently have no faith in him. I say a prayer for Marcus Smart whenever he shoots. With Avery, I now expect them all to go in. I don't know how he advanced so much in one to two years, but it seems to have happened.

« Reply #28 on: December 01, 2015, 10:20:22 PM »

Offline CelticPride2016

• Jayson Tatum
BOOO these threads!!!! The other one didn't jinx him, but this one surely will, no way is an LB thread giving props to AB going to be good. LOL

In case anyone (other thread) thinks I'm serious about these jinxing comments, I am not. If AB returns to last season's form, I won't think it's from these threads, it is what it is and that AB wasn't a bad player either.

Avery Bradley is the anti-Sullinger and seems to be an Olympic level athlete. All of my critiques of him are gone. He is feisty on defense. He is now a great shooter. They don't even hit the rim, swish.

He reminds me of Larry Bird, the real one. You always thought they were going in.

Maybe it's just been a month and I have jinxed him.

He doesn't seem to be making as many turnovers. It feels different this year. And the team is over .500 and developing, so Bradley deserves a lot of credit for the decent start to the year. Last year looked doomed. We were 14 games under .500.

If Avery stays healthy, I'd pencil him as borderline all-star with Sully too if he gets in shape. We could sneak into the Finals, get swept by GS, then make our high Brooklyn draft pick selection. Because of Avery's fine development, I am chopping one year off of the rebuild on the road to true contention. If it doesn't work out, I will take full responsibility.

« Reply #29 on: December 01, 2015, 10:27:38 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja

in terms of assists and rebounds this is correct. but for me his defense is always there and it is something important that he brings to the table. case in point is the miami game.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva