Poll

Would you trade Smart for Jabari Parker

Yes. Praise the Lord We would have an NBA SF.
26 (47.3%)
Heck No. I'll take Smart.
24 (43.6%)
I'd trade him straight up. No picks involved.
5 (9.1%)

Total Members Voted: 55

Author Topic: Poll: Would you trade Smart for Jabari Parker.  (Read 6012 times)

Re: Poll: Would you trade Smart for Jabari Parker.
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2015, 09:32:37 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

He's still a good prospect, but for all the hype I'm not sure how much better than Smart he is. Offensively he doesn't seem to be good enough yet, though he could explode over the next calender year.

I'm pretty confident that at worst he's gonna be a rich man's version of Thad Young.

Let's wait until 6 months after his return from ACL surgery to worry about his long term potential.  He didn't even really get a rookie season, after all.  That he's been fairly productive so far in his return speaks well for him.
You値l have to excuse my lengthiness葉he reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2015, 09:34:59 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
I don't think Parker is a SF in the league anymore.

Probably, but that's not a huge knock on him.  Aren't we getting to the point where any player who is on the border between 3 and 4 is just a 4, and any player on the border of 4 and 5 is just a 5?

I'd like to see Jabari Parker play more at the 3.

I have been disappointed with his play at the PF position. He doesn't know / understand his strengths / advantages at that position. Does not attack his defender intelligently or often enough. Becomes passive. Peripheral.

I think Jabari may play better (scoring wise) if he is switched back to the SF position where he has a size advantage (good size, heft) and can bully smaller defenders. Maybe he is just more comfortable attacking those type of defenders vs bigger slower defenders.

Jabari also does not seem to understand where his scoring opportunities come from in that Milwaukee offense. I think they should be trying to call more plays for him to get him more engaged in games. Stop him becoming passive. Those isolation plays + post ups which Jabari showed much potential in in college are much easier at SF position for Jabari than vs PFs.

I think the coaching staff have done a very bad job with Jabari in Milwaukee. I don't think Kidd likes him much. That is why I think Milwaukee trade Jabari.

« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2015, 09:43:00 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish

I think the coaching staff have done a very bad job with Jabari in Milwaukee. I don't think Kidd likes him much. That is why I think Milwaukee trade Jabari.

If you're Milwaukee, why trade your #2 pick prospect, who was considered to have perennial All-Star potential when drafted, just because your coach doesn't like him?  That seems like a reason to fire your coach.

Especially when you consider that, again, Jabari is only 37 games into his career and is coming back from an ACL injury he suffered 25 games into his rookie season.
You値l have to excuse my lengthiness葉he reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2015, 09:46:41 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith

If you're Milwaukee, why trade your #2 pick prospect, who was considered to have perennial All-Star potential when drafted, just because your coach doesn't like him?  That seems like a reason to fire your coach.

Especially when you consider that, again, Jabari is only 37 games into his career and is coming back from an ACL injury he suffered 25 games into his rookie season.

They have given their coach a lot of backing so far. They seem to value him highly. Give him a lot of freedom in picking players / type of squad he wants. Rare to see a coach given as much importance within an organization so early in his career / stay with team.

Meanwhile, Jabari continues to underwhelm.

I do not see it as strange that they would choose coach over player.

Kidd seemed to play a pretty big role in the decision to trade Brandon Knight because Kidd (correctly) was concerned about Knight's limited PG skills. They backed coach over player then. I think they will do so again. Especially since they already have Giannis (more talented prospect, future max player) and Middleton (max contract) at the same position as Jabari. I think Jabari will be expendable.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2015, 09:52:14 AM by Who »

« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2015, 10:28:18 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
need another option -- Need to see Parker play more than a handful of games before making that decision. 

if forced to decide based on how little Parker has played so far, I'd probably do it.  Parker has the talent to be that go-to scorer we need.  I like Smart's D but his O hasn't progressed as much as I had hoped this season. 

« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2015, 10:39:45 AM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
I take Parker.

I love Marcus, but Jabari is too talented to pass up.

The 2014 draft had a huge drop from tier 1 to tier 2. I think Marcus is the best from tier 2 but Jabari has the potential to be an elite scorer.

Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2015, 11:38:33 AM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403
Kidd seemed to play a pretty big role in the decision to trade Brandon Knight because Kidd (correctly) was concerned about Knight's limited PG skills. They backed coach over player then.

Correctly?

But maybe you're right. If they were dumb enough to do it then, maybe they're dumb enough to do it again. They love making bad trades in MIL.

Then again, maybe Kidd has doubts about Marcus' PG skills....
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #22 on: December 01, 2015, 11:44:12 AM »

Offline TheFlex

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 367
Kinda off topic... Who's scared the Bucks offer Monroe + Jabari for Cousins and roll with:

MCW/Ennis
??/Vaughn
Middleton/Dudley
Giannis/Henson
Cousins/[Henson]

using their 2016 1st to select another wing?

Draft: 8 first rounders in next 5 years.

Cap space: $24 mil.

https://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague/

« Reply #23 on: December 01, 2015, 11:57:12 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
Kidd seemed to play a pretty big role in the decision to trade Brandon Knight because Kidd (correctly) was concerned about Knight's limited PG skills. They backed coach over player then.

Correctly?

But maybe you're right. If they were dumb enough to do it then, maybe they're dumb enough to do it again. They love making bad trades in MIL.

Then again, maybe Kidd has doubts about Marcus' PG skills....

Correctly = yes, Brandon Knight is a very good scorer and defender but he is a limited floor general and playmaker. Milwaukee needed a PG who could run the offense and create more for his teammates. Rather than just himself. So that assessment was spot on.

The trade itself you can debate and say whether it was right or wrong.

But the initial assessment of B.Knight's skill-set and that he did not deliver what Milwaukee needed from it's PG was correct. That Milwaukee did not have enough playmaking outside the PG position to balance out a limited playmaking PG ... and thus needed a PG who was more of a playmaker than B.Knight was.

« Reply #24 on: December 01, 2015, 12:28:19 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish

That decision has worked out SO well for them!
- Mark Twain

« Reply #25 on: December 01, 2015, 04:57:47 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136
Never been that high on J.Parker. Figured him to be closer to empty stats type like Glenn Robinson. Well, not empty stats but less impact than you'd expect from a guy who puts up big raw numbers like that. Never saw him as having Pierce / Melo potential. I thought Glenn Robinson to Jamal Mashburn depending on how much he works on his all-around game.

Always liked Smart because I figured he'd be the opposite. Impact beyond that stats. Tremendous defender and leadership capabilities. I had Smart above Jabari on my draft board back then.

Now, I have been disappointed with Smart's scoring. I thought he'd do better than he has done so far (more of a 16-17ppg scorer). But then again, I could say the same with Jabari (who I thought would go for 18-20ppg early in his career). So that doesn't really change things. Both guys struggling in same area.

So I will stick with Smart.

That's pretty ballsy Who, if you mean it you had Smart over Parker predraft, I can't say that I did.

I Like Smart over Parker Right now. I'm just frustrated with out roster and no Prine time scorer over 6 feet.

« Reply #26 on: December 01, 2015, 05:05:27 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson

Why do they trade him, for the reasons Who stated.

Middleton got the Max.
 Greek Freak will get the Max and plays the same position.

Monroe got near Max Dollars.

Why would they pay Jabari unless he has some massive turnaround he's been a huge disappointment.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2015, 05:29:17 PM by KG Living Legend »

« Reply #27 on: December 01, 2015, 06:23:40 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549

Why do they trade him, for the reasons Who stated.

Middleton got the Max.
 Greek Freak will get the Max and plays the same position.

Monroe got near Max Dollars.

Why would they pay Jabari unless he has some massive turnaround he's been a huge disappointment.
Middleton's contract is 5yr/70mil which was not his Max.    Jabari is just in his 2nd year after missing most of his 1st year so its hard to call him a huge disappointment.   They won't need to decide on paying him for another couple years.   

« Reply #28 on: December 03, 2015, 04:57:46 AM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
Nitpicking a bit here. Point is Middleton, Monroe, Gianni's, all massive contracts, Henson got paid, Gianni's will get all of the Max, and MCW, gonna have to pay him if they want to retain him,

Jabari is the most likely player to get delt on their team IMO.

« Reply #29 on: December 03, 2015, 05:18:41 AM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549
Nitpicking a bit here. Point is Middleton, Monroe, Gianni's, all massive contracts, Henson got paid, Gianni's will get all of the Max, and MCW, gonna have to pay him if they want to retain him,

Jabari is the most likely player to get delt on their team IMO.
They don't have massive contracts.  Next season their three biggest contracts are Monroe (17.1mil), Middleton (15mil) and Henson (9.5mil).  Giannis doesn't become an RFA until a year later and Parker will be an RFA a year later.  MCW hasn't done anything to justify a big contract.  They'd be better off getting rid of him.  So they really aren't under a financial crunch with the cap space going up so much.