Author Topic: What do you do if you're Daryl Morey and the Rockets?  (Read 4664 times)

Re: What do you do if you're Daryl Morey and the Rockets?
« Reply #30 on: December 01, 2015, 11:07:04 AM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
It's hard because the problem is their stair player doesn't always try on defense. Teammates are less likely to give their all on defense if their best player is taking all of the shots and not playing defense.

The problem is, trading Harden is the opposite type of move Houston is trying to make, they want to attract stars not trade them away.

Really the only the Rockets can do is to keep playing and wait for things to turn around after Harden gets in better shape/tries hard on defense. If Howard indicates that he's going to opt out you deal him at the deadline.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #31 on: December 01, 2015, 11:35:40 AM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403
Learn ur lesson. Stats ignore the human element. Start factoring both.

TP. HUGE character issues throughout that team. That's part of the reason our team is so much fun to watch and root for - all high character guys.

Root for? I agree. But fun to watch, I can't. Consider this:

Bobby Marks
@BobbyMarks42:

This UTH/GSW game is a credit to both teams scouting department. Shows that you don't need a top 3 pick to turn your franchise around. Game ended with picks #7, #10, #35, #30, #9, #27, #23 and #12 on the floor for UTH and GSW. Sprinkle in Favors (trade) and Iggy (trade).

The Cs could and should have better talent on this team through the draft.

Let's say we end with picks #6, #19, #13 and #21 on the floor (Smart, Bradley, KO, Sully). Sprinkle in Thomas (trade). And when did we have better picks than those?

That's the point. Both of those teams have superior talent with comparable picks because they're scouting depts got it right.

In a couple of cases, the players we should have taken instead of guys you mention above are the actual players Marks is referring to in those picks.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #32 on: December 01, 2015, 11:51:42 AM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2697
Howard hasn't been the problem with the team shockingly. You have to find a way to get Harden to be motivated to try for more than a single season.

Howard is at least part of the problem. He was the centerpiece of the team they were trying to build, they went hard after him for a long time, sacrificed a lot to get him, and so far he is a shell of the player he used to be in Orlando. Whether it is injuries or overall decline or both, he isn't the player they thought they were signing. On top of that, with the greatest low post player of all time as his head coach, he still failed to add a single low post move to his limited skill set.

The problem is, if they dump him now, they will not get good value, and on top of it they might never be able to attract another top tier free agent again. They could do well without him though when Demo returns. Demo was killin it last season , and would be a very effective front court duo with Capella. I would see what I can get for Howard, Jones, and Lawson, and rebuild the team around Harden and the young guys like Capella, Demo, Dekker, and McDaniels. Harden is still young enough to go with that strategy.

« Reply #33 on: December 01, 2015, 11:56:59 AM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699

TP. HUGE character issues throughout that team. That's part of the reason our team is so much fun to watch and root for - all high character guys.

Bobby Marks
@BobbyMarks42:

This UTH/GSW game is a credit to both teams scouting department. Shows that you don't need a top 3 pick to turn your franchise around. Game ended with picks #7, #10, #35, #30, #9, #27, #23 and #12 on the floor for UTH and GSW. Sprinkle in Favors (trade) and Iggy (trade).

Let's say we end with picks #6, #19, #13 and #21 on the floor (Smart, Bradley, KO, Sully). Sprinkle in Thomas (trade). And when did we have better picks than those?

That's the point. Both of those teams have superior talent with comparable picks because they're scouting depts got it right.

In a couple of cases, the players we should have taken instead of guys you mention above are the actual players Marks is referring to in those picks.

lol basing it on draft position without taking into account draft depth? afaik sullinger, bradley, smart and even KO would be rated higher in a redraft.

« Reply #34 on: December 01, 2015, 12:02:43 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2237
Hold onto Harden and Howard, allow expiring guys to expire, attempt to trade away Trevor Ariza and Corey Brewer, try and retool the supporting cast.  You've got a basic blueprint for success.  You just need better shooters, younger legs, and better injury luck.

Hire a defensive coach.  Somebody who can get through to Harden.  Good luck finding one.

In a vacuum, Thibs would be perfect.IF Howard bought in to a Thibs defense, that would be scary. Too big an "IF", though. Howard and Harden would clash with Thibs' autocratic nature.

Their loss.

« Reply #35 on: December 01, 2015, 12:30:17 PM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
The Rockets should rebuild right now.  Use Harden to get rid of Lawson.  Get some character guys in.  They won't ever catch Golden State and Ok. City in the Harden era (not with Harden anyway).

I doubt the Rockets could get Phoenix to do this trade: 
http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=pjae8ts

Rockets get a Suns first and a Wizards first giving them 3 first round picks to go with:

Bledsoe, Beverly, J. Terry
Brewer, Thornton, K. McDaniels
Porter Jr., Dekker, Oubre Jr.
Mark. Morris, Terrence Jones
Gortat, Capela, Nene (expiring)

The Rockets own pick would be lottery most likely.  Houston is a place that easily grab a stud SG in free agency to replace Harden.  Basically, the Rockets have nothing to lose.  There will be no Harden field of dreams scenario.

The Wizards are messed up and eagerly make this deal.  The Suns don't agree imo, due to Lawson.

Brandon Knight, Lawson
Harden, Booker
Warren, Harden
Teletovic, Harrell, D. Mot
Chandler, Len

« Reply #36 on: December 01, 2015, 03:20:23 PM »

Offline viulo

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 11

Bobby Marks
@BobbyMarks42:

I disagree. First of all, our only top ten pick was last year, so it's normal its impact would be lower than Hayward (taken in 2010) or Curry (in 2009).
With Utah, you have Gobert, a great find, but the other two are Rodney Hood and Alec Burks, for me worst than Smart, Bradley and Sully and on par with KO.
Now, GSW are another story, but two of their 3 main players were lottery picks. Green and Ezeli were both taken in 2012, in a very deep draft. GSW nailed it, Danny missed Melo but got Sully at #21, not bad.
But everyone misses. In 2010 GSW picked Ekpe Udoh at 6. And Anthony Randolph at 14 in 2008.
Utah wasted its best pick in the last ten years with Enes Kanter (number 3 in 2011). What if they had selected Klay Thompson or Kawhi Leonard?
I agree they have very good scouting, I dispute that, considering the positions the players were taken and the strenght of the draft, the Cs are so far behind. After all, ALL (2) players taken in the top20 between 2007 and 2013 are still with the team...

« Reply #37 on: December 01, 2015, 03:41:24 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
They're not trading Harden anytime soon, unless he's raising holy hell behind the scenes.  And they're only slightly more likely to move Howard. 

Morey will likely keep trying to get that third star piece to put around H+H and his role players.  Lawson is probably available very cheaply right now; too bad we've got no use for him, but maybe we could facilitate a 3-teamer or something.

« Reply #38 on: December 01, 2015, 04:25:56 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2951
Look for another job

The trade off of Asik and Parsens , spending a fortune for Howard ,  the ruining on Harden by the whole organization of suck -ups ,  locker room clowns ,  the whole thing went south ......basically when they got Howard .....lost Parens

That woman should FIRE Morey .....not McHale and traded Howard

A lot of POOR judgement