Author Topic: What do you do if you're Daryl Morey and the Rockets?  (Read 4667 times)

Re: What do you do if you're Daryl Morey and the Rockets?
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2015, 01:24:20 AM »

Offline Bucketgetter

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 11
Hold onto Harden and Howard, allow expiring guys to expire, attempt to trade away Trevor Ariza and Corey Brewer, try and retool the supporting cast.  You've got a basic blueprint for success.  You just need better shooters, younger legs, and better injury luck.

Hire a defensive coach.  Somebody who can get through to Harden.  Good luck finding one.
Tom Thibodeau
CB Mock Deadline - Minnesota Timberwolves
Kemba Walker / Tyus Jones / Aaron Brooks
Jimmy Butler / Jamal Crawford / Treveon Graham
Rodney Hood / Nic Batum / Marcus Georges Hunt
Taj Gibson / Nemanja Bjelica / Jonas Jerebko
KAT / Derrick Favors / Cole Aldrich
Picks - 2018 CHA 1st (Lotto protected), none out

« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2015, 03:01:28 AM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906
Hold onto Harden and Howard, allow expiring guys to expire, attempt to trade away Trevor Ariza and Corey Brewer, try and retool the supporting cast.  You've got a basic blueprint for success.  You just need better shooters, younger legs, and better injury luck.

Hire a defensive coach.  Somebody who can get through to Harden.  Good luck finding one.

Pop and Carlisle are the only two that come to mind that might be able to whip him into shape, because I don't think they'd have a problem benching him until he started playing the game the right way, both offensively and defensively.

EDIT: Thibs is a good one, too, though I'm not sure if he's as savvy at player relations as the other two.

« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2015, 05:49:59 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
Trade Harden to us for the #1 pick.

What are people's thoughts on this?
Would he fit here or is he too much of a Edited.  Profanity and masked profanity are against forum rules and may result in discipline.?
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2015, 06:35:45 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441

Tom Thibodeau
He seems as good as it would get for the Rockets.  His Bulls teams always played hard.  If he doesn't have an impact on the intensity of Howard/Harden, then see what can be gotten for Howard.

« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2015, 07:50:13 AM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
Keep mchale and trade harden :angel:

« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2015, 08:10:32 AM »

Offline viulo

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 11
Learn ur lesson. Stats ignore the human element. Start factoring both.

TP. HUGE character issues throughout that team. That's part of the reason our team is so much fun to watch and root for - all high character guys.

Root for? I agree. But fun to watch, I can't. Consider this:

Bobby Marks
@BobbyMarks42:

This UTH/GSW game is a credit to both teams scouting department. Shows that you don't need a top 3 pick to turn your franchise around. Game ended with picks #7, #10, #35, #30, #9, #27, #23 and #12 on the floor for UTH and GSW. Sprinkle in Favors (trade) and Iggy (trade).

The Cs could and should have better talent on this team through the draft.

Let's say we end with picks #6, #19, #13 and #21 on the floor (Smart, Bradley, KO, Sully). Sprinkle in Thomas (trade). And when did we have better picks than those?

« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2015, 08:20:24 AM »

Offline The One

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 203

Tom Thibodeau

This^^^

Or maybe Luke Walton...

« Reply #22 on: December 01, 2015, 08:39:08 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
Get rid of Howard .....

Who rarely plays ......can't play a whole game .....less than Lopez ......is a clown ,  locker room disrupter ......basically third grade IQ ......doesn't take his profession serious . He has changed Harden for the worse.

Howard is bad mojo.  Very bad .

But I hate the Lakers and Rockets .....so he can stay there 1000 years ...it would suit me.

« Reply #23 on: December 01, 2015, 08:40:01 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
Keep mchale and trade harden :angel:

This ^

« Reply #24 on: December 01, 2015, 09:05:48 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Howard hasn't been the problem with the team shockingly. You have to find a way to get Harden to be motivated to try for more than a single season.

« Reply #25 on: December 01, 2015, 09:18:03 AM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 617
Trade patrick beverly to the celtics for kelly olynyk.
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #26 on: December 01, 2015, 09:27:59 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Trade patrick beverly to the celtics for kelly olynyk.
Why not just trade him for Kevin Durant? OKC is as likely to say yes as the C's are.

« Reply #27 on: December 01, 2015, 09:34:34 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I agree that Thibs makes the most sense.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #28 on: December 01, 2015, 10:01:23 AM »

Offline heyvik

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 75
Kardashian curse!

« Reply #29 on: December 01, 2015, 10:51:49 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Bring back McHale.

Trade Dwight Howard. You won't get fair value back for Harden and if you have two ball dominant black holes on the team I keep the one who is more talented and is considered an MVP candidate. They need more veteran leadership and Howard has never been that type of player. He wants and demands everything but if he doesn't get his way he pouts and stops playing.

Change your supporting cast because the rest of the team really isn't that good.

Corey Brewer has always been a binkie of mine but this year has been atrocious.

Ty Lawson - Do we really need to spend time on him? We all know this was a miserable move for the Rockets, one that they might not be able to get out of.

Jason Terry and Marcus Thorton - Chuckers who can't play D. Terry is past his prime and can't make a positive impact anymore. Thorton is a journeyman who isn't going to move the needle.

Ariza benefit from having one or two above average seasons. He is an adequate small forward but I don't think he is NBA starter material.

Same goes for Patrick Beverly in my mind.

I've never been a big Terrance Jones fan and I don't think he really fits Houston.

Their youth in Capela, Dekker, Harrell, and KJ McDaniels could be the best thing they've got going for them.

D-Mo could prove to be a nice piece but his potential isn't realized yet and he might not get to see what he is worth with Howard in front of him.

This team in my eyes just doesn't fit together very well. I see a lot of selfish me first guys who can cause trouble in the locker room. On paper at least, this team doesn't look very appealing to me.