Author Topic: What do you do if you're Daryl Morey and the Rockets?  (Read 4699 times)

What do you do if you're Daryl Morey and the Rockets?
« on: November 30, 2015, 10:10:55 PM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2930
The Rockets are getting ready to lose to the Pistons, which will make them 7-11 on the season.

Obviously, this isn't where anyone expected them to be, especially with as much talent as they have.

To me, though, it isn't as simple as a personnel issue, either. Rather, there seems to be some real character concerns with this team.

So, how do you fix the Rockets?

Re: What do you do if you're Daryl Morey and the Rockets?
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2015, 10:17:01 PM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 624
They're reaching the point where roster moves will be necessary. The problem is: who do you move? Dwight? Is he really the problem? Lawson? Who's going to take him? Harden? You'll never get even remotely close to fair value for him/are you willing to rebuild? Tough situation.
Isaiah, you were lightning in a bottle.

DKC Clippers

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2015, 10:18:49 PM »

Offline cons

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 103
Lose Dwight Howard. He's always been a clown who never really wanted to win and so never will. He's also a fish out of water in the new nba. He's bringing them down   

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2015, 10:25:31 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
Start preparing for the Jordan Mickey Era
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2015, 10:30:01 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403
Learn ur lesson. Stats ignore the human element. Start factoring both.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2015, 10:30:23 PM »

Offline Smitty77

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 269
Lose Dwight Howard. He's always been a clown who never really wanted to win and so never will. He's also a fish out of water in the new nba. He's bringing them down

Are your stinking kidding me?  Dwight has about a 20 PER this year and he averaged 16.4 points, 14 rebounds, 2.3 blocks, and 1.4 steals, and 1.2 assists and shot almost 58% from the floor in last year's playoffs.  BUT, he is the freaking problem, right???????????????????????

How about the new addition of the alcoholic Ty Lawson who has about HALF the average PER of an NBA starter at 7.6????????????????????????

You are killing me here!!!!!

Smitty77

P.S.  If they want to GIVE AWAY Dwight, I will take him in Boston in a heartbeat!!!

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2015, 10:37:06 PM »

Offline KeepRondo

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 215

Are your stinking kidding me?  Dwight has about a 20 PER this year and he averaged 16.4 points, 14 rebounds, 2.3 blocks, and 1.4 steals, and 1.2 assists and shot almost 58% from the floor in last year's playoffs.  BUT, he is the freaking problem, right???????????????????????

How about the new addition of the alcoholic Ty Lawson who has about HALF the average PER of an NBA starter at 7.6????????????????????????

You are killing me here!!!!!

Smitty77

P.S.  If they want to GIVE AWAY Dwight, I will take him in Boston in a heartbeat!!!
No thanks. That poster is right. Howard is a clown. Dude takes so many plays off and seems disinterested 50 percent of the time.

« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2015, 10:46:36 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
Kick yourself for firing Coach Kevin McHale.

« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2015, 11:02:06 PM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
They're reaching the point where roster moves will be necessary. The problem is: who do you move? Dwight? Is he really the problem? Lawson? Who's going to take him? Harden? You'll never get even remotely close to fair value for him/are you willing to rebuild? Tough situation.

Exactly. You can't trade Harden, because, like you said, you'll never get anything close to full value for him. However, I just don't think his playing style is conducive to winning, or at least he can't just And-1 his way to victories. I think you need a strong coach in there that will just force a change in the offense and not be scared of benching Harden when he doesn't comply and/or reverts to his old ways offensively and defensively.

« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2015, 11:02:44 PM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith

TP. HUGE character issues throughout that team. That's part of the reason our team is so much fun to watch and root for - all high character guys.

« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2015, 11:03:01 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
Have they hired a new coach yet?

« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2015, 12:00:50 AM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas

TP. HUGE character issues throughout that team. That's part of the reason our team is so much fun to watch and root for - all high character guys.

Root for? I agree. But fun to watch, I can't. Consider this:

Bobby Marks
@BobbyMarks42:

This UTH/GSW game is a credit to both teams scouting department. Shows that you don't need a top 3 pick to turn your franchise around. Game ended with picks #7, #10, #35, #30, #9, #27, #23 and #12 on the floor for UTH and GSW. Sprinkle in Favors (trade) and Iggy (trade).

The Cs could and should have better talent on this team through the draft.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2015, 12:18:59 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
Howard doesn't seem very competitive anymore and Harden only competes for himself.  Lawson has been a nothing of a player this year.  They definitely need some kind of shakeup which is a shame because Harden and Howard seems like a perfect pair on paper (or on Morey's computer).  I suppose I would look at what I can get for Howard.  I really don't see a coach being able to light a fire under those two.

« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2015, 12:21:01 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Hold onto Harden and Howard, allow expiring guys to expire, attempt to trade away Trevor Ariza and Corey Brewer, try and retool the supporting cast.  You've got a basic blueprint for success.  You just need better shooters, younger legs, and better injury luck.

Hire a defensive coach.  Somebody who can get through to Harden.  Good luck finding one.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2015, 12:31:14 AM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
I considered proposing a deal for either Ariza or Brewer here a few days ago, but decided neither guy is worth trading for.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)