Would it be the best

Yes
4 (36.4%)
No
4 (36.4%)
Probably
3 (27.3%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Author Topic: Would our defense be the best in the NBA with Whiteside  (Read 687 times)

Would our defense be the best in the NBA with Whiteside
« on: November 30, 2015, 09:47:56 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136

Almost 5 blocks per game? More blocks than 14 NBA team's? And he can score. Where do I sign the dotted line. I'm all in.

Re: Would our defense be the best in the NBA with Whiteside
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2015, 09:52:20 PM »

Offline MJohnnyboy

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 269
Problem is he can't play in crunchtime. It's the same reason why I'd be hesitant to get Dwight Howard/Deandre Jordan.

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2015, 10:02:09 PM »

Offline esel1000

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 587
Problem is he can't play in crunchtime. It's the same reason why I'd be hesitant to get Dwight Howard/Deandre Jordan.

The ft shooting is definitely a knock against him... still would be a great big to anchor our defense though

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2015, 10:07:06 PM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448
I always am wear of FT poor players too but our current roster at least is very well equipped to handle the issue.

I am never sure how much I like Whiteside.  He is my style of player.  Not sure about his attitude sometimes.  He seems pretty here to stay though as a defensive force.
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2015, 10:43:16 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2666
  • bammokja
another point to take into account is that he is a black hole on offense. in 15 games he has a total of FOUR assists. 4, four, fore, for, phor.

in 48 games last season he had 6 assists total for the season.

those blocks are great, but he does have drawbacks.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2015, 10:57:51 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
No.

As much as I like Whiteside, there is more to defense than just blocking shots.

Is he Marc Gasol, Joakim Noah or Tyson (Prime) like? Those guys (and KG, of course), can alter a game so many ways defensively.

I don't think Hassan does that yet.

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2015, 11:02:49 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136
another point to take into account is that he is a black hole on offense. in 15 games he has a total of FOUR assists. 4, four, fore, for, phor.

in 48 games last season he had 6 assists total for the season.

those blocks are great, but he does have drawbacks.

Hwang, I figured out the solution! Don't throw it inside to him, unless yoy want him to score lol.

It could be an inside joke on the team.

« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2015, 11:27:34 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975

The main problem is that he chases stats, which could actually hurt our defense. For example, he won't rotate to open shooters because he wants to be down low to rebound the basketball. He also doesn't like to defend his man on the perimeter, for the exact same reason, and will routinely give up an uncontested shot. He'll also try to block shots, even those when he doesn't have the proper angle, which allows his player to have great position for an offense rebound. Spoelstra is a defensive minded coach and look no further as to Whiteside's playing time (29.4 MPG with only 2.1 fouls per game) as a good indicator of how frustrating Whiteside can be on that end of the floor.

« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2015, 12:27:28 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I'd be excited by the possibility of Whiteside on this team, but he always seems like he has real Mark Blount potential.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain