Author Topic: 1 step back 2 forward(next year)  (Read 2524 times)

1 step back 2 forward(next year)
« on: November 30, 2015, 03:10:32 PM »

Offline konkmv

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 104
Ok the celtics do not have a star... lets see they have a supporting cast.. smart bradley thomas crowder sully and olynyc
Ainge will evaluate rozier hunter young and mickey
Because a 50% team could not be enough for playoffs this year.. i think we must go a step back to make 2 forward next year... johnson lee turner zeller jerebko should be traded not for another mediocore player but for picks...
I know we have many... but they are assets to move up in drafts..
We could have 3 lottery picks  ours nets and mavs..
And danny must attract at least one very good free agent
Derozan conley noah horford should be targeted
I do not think that a team of conley smart simmons sully and horford is bad
Nor a team of smart bradley derozan labissiere noah is bad either
Aim for lottery.... get 2 good free agents

Re: 1 step back 2 forward(next year)
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2015, 03:12:44 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
No need for anymore picks.

I want to see volume reducing trades.   

Quantity traded for quality. 

Thin the bench by adding better players.   Refill the bench through the draft.

Clearly harder then it sounds.

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2015, 03:15:58 PM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
I say, play out this season, see where the Nets land (say not #1)

then package our own pick and Dallas' pick to see if that can net us another lotto pick

then package net's pick and that new lotto pick, and probably other players to get #1? possible?

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2015, 03:17:47 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Refill the bench through the draft.

The biggest thing for me is, if they are going to actually use these picks, then make room for those guys to actually play.

Otherwise, just trade the picks.  I'm not interested in watching a .500 team with five or more rookie contract players languishing on the bench while next year's iteration of the David Lee / Amir Johnson / Brandon Bass / Kris Humphries / Evan Turner / Gerald Wallace Brigade plays significant minutes.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2015, 03:28:54 PM »

Offline konkmv

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 104
Does anyone think that we can get a kevin garnett or a ray allen again? We have not found paul pierce of our era yet.. use the picks first

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2015, 04:10:01 PM »

Offline Hemingway

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 123
I do.

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2015, 05:22:18 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Does anyone think that we can get a kevin garnett or a ray allen again? We have not found paul pierce of our era yet.. use the picks first

I think building up a really good team is going to take a lot more time and patience than simply acquiring two major stars in one summer, especially since we don't already have a homegrown star in place.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2015, 12:53:37 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Refill the bench through the draft.

The biggest thing for me is, if they are going to actually use these picks, then make room for those guys to actually play.

Otherwise, just trade the picks.  I'm not interested in watching a .500 team with five or more rookie contract players languishing on the bench while next year's iteration of the David Lee / Amir Johnson / Brandon Bass / Kris Humphries / Evan Turner / Gerald Wallace Brigade plays significant minutes.

Of course.   That's why thinning the bench for quality is a good idea. 

« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2015, 01:11:57 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
We need a 3 for 1 trade I wanted IT, Sully and KO for Favors but doesn't look possible now. Favors is super efficient and Jazz are getting decent pg play right now. At start of the year it could have been possible.

« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2015, 01:19:18 PM »

Offline Granath

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 567
smh

I fail to understand the logic of those who continue to advocate tanking even though the Cs have one of the youngest starting groups in the NBA, made the playoffs last year, currently have a winning record and are assured of a top 10 pick coming from the Nets. Why would you want to lose in that situation?

Plus, the "plan" isn't much of a plan at all. The Cs already have 8 picks in the draft next year and most most of these guys have little value. So trading these guys for yet more 2nd round picks isn't going to help the team when they already have 4 or 5 (depending on Minny's pick) 2nd rounders next year. Let's take an honest look at their value:

- Amir is under our control next year but we don't have to pay him a dime. His play this year hasn't been stupendous and therefore he has some value but not a huge amount. Maybe a late first because he can play D off the bench and his contract is attractive. At the same time, you'd have to worry about your reputation in attracting future FAs if you're trading Amir after being on the team for 2 months of the season.
- Lee is an expiring salary and not worth anything on the trade market. Zero. Nothing. I'd rather keep him as a potential salary match in case Danny can swing a deadline deal for a better player.
- Turner is an expiring deal so his trade value is pretty low. Probably a 2nd rounder due to the lack of a contract.
- Zeller is in the same boat but his play this year hasn't been good. Probably a 2nd.
- Jerebko is a player Brad loves and therefore won't be traded.

Plus, I'd rather not strip the team of much of it's veteran leadership for 2nd round picks. With Amir, Turner, Zeller and Lee coming off the books anyway, moving these guys doesn't do a thing to our cap space next offseason. It would also be easier to attract FAs if the Cs post a winning record and get back to the playoffs.

To summarize, your whole idea is counterproductive.  Moving these guys now doesn't add much in the way of future assets, strips the team, sends the wrong message to potential FAs and doesn't help the cap picture next year. It's a step back all right - maybe two - but it doesn't help you move forward whatsoever. 
Jaylen Brown will be an All Star in the next 5 years.

« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2015, 05:55:33 AM »

Offline YoungOne87

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 65
I think batum is a player ainge will go after this season.
Given how well he plays in charlotte and how cheap he was, I'm a little disapointed we didnt go for him.

« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2015, 09:10:56 PM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
I agree with you, but right now the only veterans that are giving us great quality minutes are Thomas, Turner and Amir.
If we do take a step back, it will probably be next season when we can release all our non guaranteed contracts and expirings.

It's hard to say what direction Danny will take. Will he go after his beloved Barnes in Free Agency or will he stick it out with Crowder and just wait for a bonafied superstar to become available?

How is he going to tool up for the huge cap increase that's coming towards us?
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2015, 10:36:36 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
I agree with you, but right now the only veterans that are giving us great quality minutes are Thomas, Turner and Amir.
If we do take a step back, it will probably be next season when we can release all our non guaranteed contracts and expirings.

It's hard to say what direction Danny will take. Will he go after his beloved Barnes in Free Agency or will he stick it out with Crowder and just wait for a bonafied superstar to become available?

Who are you including in your veterans pool? For example, Bradley is one year younger than Thomas, but has more NBA experience. So who are you including in the "vets" department.

Also I think Lee's play has been quite overlooked here. He's giving us a nice boost off the bench. Not that starter minutes some he'd have, but he's been more passable than I anticipated defensively (though still dislike his defense, but just saying), and after a rough start he's actually been very productive offensively for us so far.

I wouldn't be surprised if he stuck around with us beyond this season, though I don't see Danny spending much on him unless it's on a short deal like Amir's.

Regardless, no matter what happens the Celtics will have flexibility next year and cap room to operate... not sure how much good that will do with all the league having cap room, but we'll see. Play well this season, and making a bit of a splash in the playoffs will help our case... or hoping for trader Danny to pull something worthwhile off.

« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2015, 11:58:05 PM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.

Who are you including in your veterans pool? For example, Bradley is one year younger than Thomas, but has more NBA experience. So who are you including in the "vets" department.

Also I think Lee's play has been quite overlooked here. He's giving us a nice boost off the bench. Not that starter minutes some he'd have, but he's been more passable than I anticipated defensively (though still dislike his defense, but just saying), and after a rough start he's actually been very productive offensively for us so far.

I wouldn't be surprised if he stuck around with us beyond this season, though I don't see Danny spending much on him unless it's on a short deal like Amir's.

Regardless, no matter what happens the Celtics will have flexibility next year and cap room to operate... not sure how much good that will do with all the league having cap room, but we'll see. Play well this season, and making a bit of a splash in the playoffs will help our case... or hoping for trader Danny to pull something worthwhile off.

I think the OP is saying dump everyone who's not 25 or under (with a few exceptions). IT and Bradley are cheap, and worth more than their contracts so yeah I can't see them being moved unless a significant upgrade comes back in return.
Lee gives us some good bench production but myself and the OP are saying we'd prefer to give those minutes to Mickey or one of our draft picks from this draft.

Less 27/28 year old vets and more opportunity for draft picks- especially since we have so many great picks this offseason- if he can't package all those picks then we could see Jerebko, Amir, Zeller, Lee all go and I wouldn't have any issue with that if it means young guys get a run.

I do like the presence that guys like Amir and Lee bring to the locker room for our big men as role models though which is a really underrated aspect of their value.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.