Author Topic: brooklyn playing well  (Read 1058 times)

brooklyn playing well
« on: November 30, 2015, 08:58:17 AM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1233
even in recent their losses they have been close,brook lopez has to get some niggling injury-
remember what they did last half of season-

Re: brooklyn playing well
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2015, 09:39:42 AM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501
even in recent their losses they have been close,brook lopez has to get some niggling injury-

They won 17 games in the first half and 21 games in the second half. Better, but nothing spectacular for a team that had zero incentive to tank unlike some of its opponents late in the year. The first half also saw them lose BL for 10 games.

The problem this year is that Joe Johnson has hit the slippery slope of decline (Shooting %s have dropped dramatically as has his advanced stats) and the fall-off between the departed D Williams and Jack is significant. The Nets will be better than the Lakers and Sixers, but they're not going to compete for the playoffs. They played much better than their numbers as a team would indicate last year, They're playing close to what their stats would indicate this year and they have lesser players.

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2015, 10:09:26 AM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1233
i stand corrected,TP for that

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2015, 10:16:40 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Brooklyn has a quality starting unit in terms of point differential.  If that team had any kind of bench they probably would challenge for the playoffs.

As it is, they can probably get to the low 30s in wins unless Lopez gets injured.  The Celts should get a top 10 pick from the Nets this year, but it'll require a great deal of lotto luck to get that elusive top 5 pick.
You値l have to excuse my lengthiness葉he reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2015, 10:28:08 AM »

Offline konkmv

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 104
30 wins max for them

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2015, 10:31:44 AM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549

They won 17 games in the first half and 21 games in the second half. Better, but nothing spectacular for a team that had zero incentive to tank unlike some of its opponents late in the year. The first half also saw them lose BL for 10 games.

The problem this year is that Joe Johnson has hit the slippery slope of decline (Shooting %s have dropped dramatically as has his advanced stats) and the fall-off between the departed D Williams and Jack is significant. The Nets will be better than the Lakers and Sixers, but they're not going to compete for the playoffs. They played much better than their numbers as a team would indicate last year, They're playing close to what their stats would indicate this year and they have lesser players.
Brooklyn has zero incentive to tank this year too.  So there is a good chance that they'll pass a few teams that do tank at the end of the year.   

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2015, 10:36:49 AM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196
Brooklyn has a quality starting unit in terms of point differential.  If that team had any kind of bench they probably would challenge for the playoffs.

As it is, they can probably get to the low 30s in wins unless Lopez gets injured.  The Celts should get a top 10 pick from the Nets this year, but it'll require a great deal of lotto luck to get that elusive top 5 pick.

There is no chance Brooklyn reaches 30 wins, they haven't even had any injuries yet .

25 wins tops

« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2015, 10:42:01 AM »

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 907
It's been a subject of debate in the Brooklyn 2015-16 forum, but I'm noticing that I'm not getting shot down quite as quickly when I say that they look, if not good, then at least better than advertised.

I have the pick at 4-8 right now (absent injuries). My theory is two-fold:

1) The Nets are better than Philly and LA. No way they finish below those teams. There are also a bunch of teams on the border of desperation. Portland, Phoenix and Denver all strike me as potential problem children. I think New Orleans will play out of it, while Milwaukee remains a dark horse candidate to play into the bottom. I have to think that at least one team surprises to the downside.

2) We may get some benefit from the "parity" in the west. There are a bunch of teams that are slightly better than the Nets that are equal to each other. Hopefully, they'll all play about .500 ball against each other.

If there are any injuries on the Nets, all bets are off, particularly at the top of the ticket. They can survive without RHJ. They cannot survive without Lopez and will be seriously crippled if one of the other starters goes down. They have a bench of about one quality player.

TP to PhoSita, who has been consistent with his placement of the Nets. He had them listed as "mediocre but better than an 18-win team" before it was popular. Good call.

Mike

« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2015, 11:02:12 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Looks like Brooklyn will hit that middle ground - not as awful as the most optimistic C's fans hoped, not as good as the "they'll contend for the playoffs" crowd.  Probably 25-28 win team at this point. 

Injuries and trades are the major wild-cards though; Lopez's feet are always a question mark in particular, and would turn them awful in a hurry.  And they'll happily trade Johnson if anyone will save them money in the deal - no one's been interested but teams, especially a contender trying to get over the hump, might be more willing to consider that when they're picking up the tab for less and less of the season. 

« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2015, 11:05:17 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
Looks like Brooklyn will hit that middle ground - not as awful as the most optimistic C's fans hoped, not as good as the "they'll contend for the playoffs" crowd.  Probably 25-28 win team at this point. 

That's a problem for the "The Brooklyn Nets pick is gonna be the answer to all of our rebuild question marks" crowd.

For now, at least, it's fun watching Ben Simmons clips and imagining we could have a shot at getting a player like that.
You値l have to excuse my lengthiness葉he reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2015, 11:17:55 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.

That's a problem for the "The Brooklyn Nets pick is gonna be the answer to all of our rebuild question marks" crowd.

For now, at least, it's fun watching Ben Simmons clips and imagining we could have a shot at getting a player like that.

Well, we definitely would have a shot at a top 3 pick, just not the best shot.  25-28 wins would have the 5th or 6th best odds last season, 5th-8th the season before.  We've seen stranger things happen in recent lottery history - Cleveland of course won it after a 33 win year.  And again any major injury or trade could drop them off very quickly from that ceiling.

For me the bigger thing is that we get 3 consecutive cracks at Brooklyn's picks; while it's possible they improve sharply over that period, the foundation is not exactly strong over there, and ownership is in flux.  Hard to see them doing any better than the Knicks did in last season's free agency, and their improvement is mostly due to Carmelo's health and drafting Porzingis.

« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2015, 11:21:48 AM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549

I agree.  If we didn't have a chance at a top pick, I wouldn't be watching college basketball so much or so early. 

« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2015, 11:37:03 AM »

Offline Granath

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 567
I can't consider any 4-13 team "playing well". Heck, even at their recently improved play pace (4-7 after starting 0-6) that only translates to a 30 win team over the course of a season. This isn't going to be a good team. 

I never considered the pick to be a lock for the top 3 but I have said repeatedly that it may very well be a #5 or #6 pick. And that's fine by me. Every Celtics fan wants a top 3 pick, no doubt. We all want Ben Simmons. But I'm not going to complain if it's top 5 or even #8...well, unless we get screwed in the lottery AGAIN (at this point it's starting to look like an anti-Celtics conspiracy). Look who was picked between 5 and 10 over the last few years:

2009 - Curry, DeRozan, Rubio, Jennings
2010 - Cousins, Heyward, Monroe, Paul George
2011 - Valanciunas, Walker (really bad draft)
2012 - Barnes, Lillard, Drummond
2013 - Noel (another really bad draft year)
2014 - Smart, Randle, Payton

Some of those years were rather lean but then again they were relatively weak draft classes. But in other years there are some genuine studs in that list, including a number of All-Stars and the reigning league MVP. I like those type of odds. Those picks aren't garbage. So I'm not getting all mopey and depressed because the Nets may not own the #1 pick.

Even if the pick is, say, #6, that's a really valuable pick and remember the Cs have two more of theirs (the right to swap in 2017 and the 2018 pick). The Nets are going to have a very difficult time getting better because of their lack of draft picks and the fact that many teams will have plenty of cash for free agency - and many of those teams are far more attractive destinations.

Thus it could very well play out that we own top 10 picks from them in 2016, 2017 and 2018. If Danny can't spin gold out of those then he doesn't deserve to be the GM.
Jaylen Brown will be an All Star in the next 5 years.

« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2015, 12:41:09 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish

Well, we definitely would have a shot at a top 3 pick, just not the best shot.  25-28 wins would have the 5th or 6th best odds last season, 5th-8th the season before.  We've seen stranger things happen in recent lottery history - Cleveland of course won it after a 33 win year.  And again any major injury or trade could drop them off very quickly from that ceiling.

For me the bigger thing is that we get 3 consecutive cracks at Brooklyn's picks; while it's possible they improve sharply over that period, the foundation is not exactly strong over there, and ownership is in flux.  Hard to see them doing any better than the Knicks did in last season's free agency, and their improvement is mostly due to Carmelo's health and drafting Porzingis.

I agree -- the strength in those Nets picks seems to be that the Celts may very well get three straight top 10 selections without having to experience a losing season themselves.  There's nothing bad you can say about that.  It's awesome.  It gives the Celts a decent chance of finding a special player over the next three seasons, while still exploring other avenues for building up the team we already have.

It just doesn't provide the quick-fix solution many of us are eager to get.  The idea that the rebuild might still be almost as murky a year from now as it is right now ... that eats away at my excitement about the Nets picks.  A top 3 pick in the draft that turns into a player like Wiggins or Towns or Lillard or whoever ... that would make things so much simpler.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2015, 12:58:35 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
Lopez stays healthy .

I thin k we are looking at 5-8 pick

Like I said at beginning season .....it's pretty much all about Lopez.

With Lopez they play at a playoff level team offense with their starting five on the floor.....they are flat out hard to beat .  But they have no backup or bench , so very tire and loose a lot. Without him they are rated the third worst offense in regular games .

Lopez controls our draft pick