Author Topic: Crowder says team needs identity, set rotations  (Read 6392 times)

Crowder says team needs identity, set rotations
« on: November 30, 2015, 08:53:42 AM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2930
http://www.masslive.com/celtics/index.ssf/2015/11/jae_crowder_wants_boston_celti.html

I found this article interesting, because it echoes what many of us on here have been saying ever since last year.

Re: Crowder says team needs identity, set rotations
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2015, 09:01:05 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
http://www.masslive.com/celtics/index.ssf/2015/11/jae_crowder_wants_boston_celti.html

I found this article interesting, because it echoes what many of us on here have been saying ever since last year.
I thought they were actually pretty good in establishing defensive identity, but what they're doing offensively these days is still anyone's guess.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2015, 09:18:07 AM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2930

I thought they were actually pretty good in establishing defensive identity, but what they're doing offensively these days is still anyone's guess.

Yeah, seems like they like to fall in the trap of watching IT iso and do everything himself.

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2015, 09:55:36 AM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471
Part of it may simply be that in addition to the read-and-react offense taking quite a while to pick up, it doesn't provide the structure needed by some players.  Stevens isn't exactly the taskmaster that Pop is, so players basically have to police themselves and that doesn't always work.

Mike

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2015, 10:05:32 AM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
This is not something Crowder should have said to the media. You bring it up to your coach and talk it out with him, not complain to the media.

DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2015, 10:17:34 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Crowder's not wrong.
You値l have to excuse my lengthiness葉he reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2015, 10:29:54 AM »

Online SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
Pretty much a "clash of needs  "of DA wanting to hang on to assets to get the most value waiting for the right moment ....vs. trying to do what Crowder is say n.

Balancing act , trying to build up,trade value , winning ,  keeping players content ,  fan support...etc

Nothing new .   Most teams involved in it every year to some degree or another.

Then ....There is the other route tanking where everything is forsaken to acquire the next MJ.   Where NOBODY gets anything they want but the GM .  Players , fans , everybody is demoralized until it stops .....the most frustrating thing is WHEN ?  When is losing to win a some unknown point suppose to stop ?
1 year or 10 of nothingness.

« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2015, 10:36:13 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
The only events happening on an NBA court this season that really matter for the future of this Celtics franchise are those that occur while the Brooklyn Nets are playing.

This iteration of the Celts might win our hearts again like last year's team, or they might just flounder and remain very up and down, on the way to another 7th or 8th seed playoff appearance and first round exit. 

It's just a pageant to keep us entertained and focused on something other than the fact the team has no clear direction forward until the value of all those future picks becomes clearer.
You値l have to excuse my lengthiness葉he reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2015, 10:45:01 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
Agreed -- too much chopping and changing.

Coach is hurting team more than helping team with all these rotation changes.

« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2015, 10:48:16 AM »

Offline Endless Paradise

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 182
Crowder's not wrong.

Yes, and I know many of us predicted that this would be a problem during the offseason. By design, NBA teams aren't constructed like this year's Celtics. Getting a bunch of decent NBA players, all of whom can play in the league, isn't some radical new revelation in the value of depth. You're inevitably going to have problems when the 12th player on the depth chart is deserving of as many minutes as the fifth, but isn't playing nearly as often.

« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2015, 10:50:32 AM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
Crowder's not wrong.

He's not right either. 
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2015, 11:00:05 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
- Mark Twain

« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2015, 11:09:06 AM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
Crowder's not wrong.

He's not right either.

Fascinating post!

Thanks.  Your's was mind-blowing as well.

I guess I should clarify, though, since I've been called out.  I just mean that I don't particularly like it when players start taking this kind of thing to the media.  It strikes me as obnoxious.

I trust this team enough and I trust Brad Stevens and his staff enough for this not to become a big deal.  Still, I don't like it. 
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2015, 11:13:52 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Crowder needs to stop complaining.  Score 30 and carry the team on your back then

« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2015, 11:14:17 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
Crowder's not wrong.

He's not right either.

Fascinating post!

Thanks.  Your's was mind-blowing as well.

I guess I should clarify, though, since I've been called out.  I just mean that I don't particularly like it when players start taking this kind of thing to the media.  It strikes me as obnoxious.

I trust this team enough and I trust Brad Stevens and his staff enough for this not to become a big deal.  Still, I don't like it.

See how easy that was?

Players speaking up doesn't bother me, if they're not throwing anybody in particular under the bus.  Crowder wasn't doing that.

I think he has a valid point.  In theory, taking full advantage of depth and having the guys on the floor give you 100% all the time sounds good.  In practice, you've got a group of human beings who are going to struggle to execute that plan, especially when they don't go into any particular game knowing for sure what kind of minutes they are going to play, how many shots they're going to get, or even what position they'll spend most of their time at.

Most likely, that's just the team the Celts are right now.  Brad is making the most of the one really notable strength his team has.  Sometimes it will work, sometimes it won't.  Some nights it's a lot of fun, some nights it's a mess.  When it's a mess, it's a frustrating reminder of how far this team really is from having a blueprint for the future.
- Mark Twain