Author Topic: Rozier  (Read 3402 times)

Rozier
« on: November 29, 2015, 10:42:14 PM »

Offline KeepRondo

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 215
Rozier should get another look tomorrow.

He played decent.

Re: Rozier
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2015, 10:47:49 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I'm in favor of giving Rozier as many minutes as possible.  He's an old rookie.  If he can play in this league, he should be able to make some kind of impact right now.  This isn't an Avery Bradley or James Young situation where he's a raw 19 year old.

You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2015, 10:52:25 PM »

Offline KeepRondo

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 215
I'm in favor of giving Rozier as many minutes as possible.  He's an old rookie.  If he can play in this league, he should be able to make some kind of impact right now.  This isn't an Avery Bradley or James Young situation where he's a raw 19 year old.
Oh wow. I didn't realize til now that he's gonna be 22 in March.

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2015, 10:55:13 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
i know. at 21 years old his joints can be heard in the upper decks. maybe they should fit him with a walker for the next game.  ;)
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2015, 11:25:49 PM »

Offline walker834

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 238
Ridiculous.

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2015, 11:51:22 PM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
Rozier can handle the ball, shoot, and defend.
He is a complete player. He just needs experience.

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2015, 11:57:49 PM »

Offline walker834

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 238
I agree. Every time Rozier gets minutes he plays well. He's a good player already just needs time.  The issue is there are too many guys ahead of him but with Smart out he should get a look for sure.

« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2015, 12:08:48 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
i know. at 21 years old his joints can be heard in the upper decks. maybe they should fit him with a walker for the next game.  ;)

He's not "old," but typically guys who come into the league at age 21 are more or less what they are.  Damian Lillard is a good example.

If Rozier can't produce with extended minutes as a 21 year old rookie, we should temper our expectations.  I'd like to find out one way or another.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2015, 12:19:13 AM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 617

He's not "old," but typically guys who come into the league at age 21 are more or less what they are.  Damian Lillard is a good example.

If Rozier can't produce with extended minutes as a 21 year old rookie, we should temper our expectations.  I'd like to find out one way or another.

Would be good to give all the rooks a decent litmus test soon (Turner getting injured would help facilitate that), maybe just a 'rooks play bigger minutes on the second night of a back to back' policy might work.
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2015, 12:25:34 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

Most rookies come into the league at 21+.  Most rookies also improve over their career.  The NBA is a major adjustment, just in terms of strength and endurance necessary, much less skill.  Not every player is capable of making that adjustment, but judging too much after a player's first season, much less first month, should really be done with caution.  Just one example, Draymond Green was a 22 year-old rookie.  Imagine if the Warriors wrote him off after his rookie year where he shot 36% from the field, with a PER of 7.1, in over 1000 minutes.

« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2015, 12:29:05 AM »

Offline oldtype

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 143
Rozier will of course improve but you expect a twenty-one year old rookie to display at least some basic competence in his first year in the league. Rozier hasn't so far. To be fair, his minutes have been extremely limited, but that's on us for deciding to draft in a position where we're already stocked (PG) when there were perfectly reasonable players on the board in a position where we have a severe lack of depth (wing).

The only valid reason to draft Rozier was if he was the BPA. So far he hasn't shown it and I don't know if he'll ever get the chance to show it this season.

Great words from a great man

« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2015, 12:29:38 AM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
Not as concerned about his age as I am his position in the NBA. Typically age seems to matter more from 18-20 because guys are still growing into their own bodies. Rozier is what he is, athletically, which is fine... but I wonder what he'll become at this level. Seems to have a good work ethic to where you can safely expect some improvement, but I'm not sure he's a PG... and question his feel for the game (at least at PG). He's all stop-and-go, esp in the halfcourt, and doesn't seem to know what he wants to do yet. Hopefully that's just part of the learning curve -- I'm sure it's steep -- and not reflective of his court sense.

He gave good minutes tonight, which is nice. Agree with all those above that would like for him (and the other rookies) to see more minutes sooner than later. Hard to tell where these guys are at from watching them in spot minutes, and doubt it'd make that significant of a difference (negatively) to start giving them some legitimate time. We shall see. Hunter looks good, too... but still spot minutes, rail-thin, and a bit hesitant on offense. Really liked what I saw from him against the Hawks, though. Seems like a safer bet to carve out an NBA career.
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2015, 12:53:10 AM »

Offline inverselock

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 44

Most rookies come into the league at 21+.  Most rookies also improve over their career.  The NBA is a major adjustment, just in terms of strength and endurance necessary, much less skill.  Not every player is capable of making that adjustment, but judging too much after a player's first season, much less first month, should really be done with caution.  Just one example, Draymond Green was a 22 year-old rookie.  Imagine if the Warriors wrote him off after his rookie year where he shot 36% from the field, with a PER of 7.1, in over 1000 minutes.

Jimmy Butler was also 22.  Didn't breakout until 25.   It takes 3/4 years @ 24/25yo for Nba players to develop most of their potential.

« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2015, 01:11:52 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
Not as concerned about his age as I am his position in the NBA. Typically age seems to matter more from 18-20 because guys are still growing into their own bodies. Rozier is what he is, athletically, which is fine... but I wonder what he'll become at this level. Seems to have a good work ethic to where you can safely expect some improvement, but I'm not sure he's a PG... and question his feel for the game (at least at PG). He's all stop-and-go, esp in the halfcourt, and doesn't seem to know what he wants to do yet. Hopefully that's just part of the learning curve -- I'm sure it's steep -- and not reflective of his court sense.

He gave good minutes tonight, which is nice. Agree with all those above that would like for him (and the other rookies) to see more minutes sooner than later. Hard to tell where these guys are at from watching them in spot minutes, and doubt it'd make that significant of a difference (negatively) to start giving them some legitimate time. We shall see. Hunter looks good, too... but still spot minutes, rail-thin, and a bit hesitant on offense. Really liked what I saw from him against the Hawks, though. Seems like a safer bet to carve out an NBA career.

I agree.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2015, 01:46:17 AM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469

What exactly do you mean by "legitimate time"?  When everybody's healthy, we have four guards who need to be legitimate parts of the rotation in Bradley, Smart, Turner, and Thomas. 

I don't see how Brad gets the rooks in to the regular rotation unless it's because injuries dictate that one of them gets called up, as it's been thus far. 
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson