Author Topic: Kobe announces retirement  (Read 7402 times)

Re: Kobe announces retirement
« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2015, 07:27:44 PM »

Offline 86MaxwellSmart

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 379
the overwhelmingly negative reaction here is shocking. i get that we are celtics fans but, cmon now. this guy is one of the greatest to ever play the game of basketball. stop being disrespectful and show the man some respect.

when pierce retires, the reaction from lakers fans wont be as disrespecful as it was here, show some f-ing humility and respect [dang it].

nope...Laker fans HATE Pierce....I had respect for Magic Johnson though.....Kobe was too selfish and a huge Jerk....so NO WAY I'm gonna give him respect NOW....nope.
Larry Bird was Greater than you think.

« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2015, 07:29:04 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
I'll miss him as a player and competitor - among the best of all time.

If he sticks to this choice - which I'm sure he will - the NBA will be worse off, IMO.

One less Alpha Dog left. Next to follow will be Tim, Dirk, KG, and Paul. Once they are gone I'll miss them all.
The NBA was better for having him.  It will be better for him retiring too.  The Lakers will certainly be better off.

« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2015, 07:29:50 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
posted above and I repeat, there is no doubt Kobe is an NBA legend.

« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2015, 07:31:18 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
20 guys over Kobe

MJ
Larry
Russell
Shaq
Kareem
Hakeem
McHale
Duncan
Oscar Robertson
Iverson
KG
Pierce
Lebron
Durant
Wilt
Magic
Isaiah Thomas
Havlicek
Dr J
Dirk

Guys not to take
TMac
Yao
Cp3
D Howard

To be seen
B Griffin
S Curry
A Davis
KAT
Jahil O
I concede.   Overated, never the best player on any of his championships... and likely not a top 20 player of all-time.   Still, he had a pretty good career.  Gotta be top 50, right? When measuring the career of Dirk vs Kobe, do you give Dirk the nod?... or are you just saying Dirk was a better player in his prime?  Also, no-way Pierce was above Kobe.  I agree with the general premise of what you're sayin tho.

« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2015, 07:44:31 PM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 944
  • Intensity!!!
It's now just pathetic how bad Kobe wants to be Jordan.

Lol.

"Dear Basketball"

http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=63754

KG: "Dude.... What is up with yo shorts?!"

CBD_2016 Cavs Remaining Picks - 14.14

« Reply #20 on: November 29, 2015, 07:46:29 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
Even if he plans on pulling a favre or Barkley and extending another season, it's good business to announce his retirement now.  Helps ticket sales, gets him a pity selection to the all-star game, helps jolt his endorsements... And if for some reason his legs start working, he can just change his mind.

« Reply #21 on: November 29, 2015, 07:49:40 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
It's good ......he has looked like only a shadow of his former self .

Also ....he just doesn't understand how to play effective as an older and slower player ......he tries to force every shot over TWO defenders , and take kids of the dribble ......he can't do this stuff anymore.

He could help his team...just shooting open looks and mentoring .....

Always the alpha dog...LOL

« Reply #22 on: November 29, 2015, 07:50:16 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
20 guys over Kobe

MJ
Larry
Russell
Shaq
Kareem
Hakeem
McHale
Duncan
Oscar Robertson
Iverson
KG
Pierce
Lebron
Durant
Wilt
Magic
Isaiah Thomas
Havlicek
Dr J
Dirk

Guys not to take
TMac
Yao
Cp3
D Howard

To be seen
B Griffin
S Curry
A Davis
KAT
Jahil O

Iverson?
I woulda liked to see Kobe take a horridly untalented team to the finals. When he had his chance he took them to the 8 seed.

« Reply #23 on: November 29, 2015, 07:51:30 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
20 guys over Kobe

MJ
Larry
Russell
Shaq
Kareem
Hakeem
McHale
Duncan
Oscar Robertson
Iverson
KG
Pierce
Lebron
Durant
Wilt
Magic
Isaiah Thomas
Havlicek
Dr J
Dirk

Guys not to take
TMac
Yao
Cp3
D Howard

To be seen
B Griffin
S Curry
A Davis
KAT
Jahil O
I concede.   Overated, never the best player on any of his championships... and likely not a top 20 player of all-time.   Still, he had a pretty good career.  Gotta be top 50, right? When measuring the career of Dirk vs Kobe, do you give Dirk the nod?... or are you just saying Dirk was a better player in his prime?  Also, no-way Pierce was above Kobe.  I agree with the general premise of what you're sayin tho.
When they were both in their prime Pierce spanked Kobe.  Dirk beat a Bron team largely by himself.

I admit my list is running badly afoul of my "Rings are the only thing that matters" theory. So be it

« Reply #24 on: November 29, 2015, 08:02:36 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!
20 guys over Kobe

MJ
Larry
Russell
Shaq
Kareem
Hakeem
McHale
Duncan
Oscar Robertson
Iverson
KG
Pierce
Lebron
Durant
Wilt
Magic
Isaiah Thomas
Havlicek
Dr J
Dirk

Guys not to take
TMac
Yao
Cp3
D Howard

To be seen
B Griffin
S Curry
A Davis
KAT
Jahil O
When they were both in their prime Pierce spanked Kobe.  Dirk beat a Bron team largely by himself.

I admit my list is running badly afoul of my "Rings are the only thing that matters" theory. So be it

Pierce whipped Kobe? He's not my favorite player by any means, but that Kobe/Pau tandem got two rings during our new Big Three era. Just give the guy his due and let it go. I've taken my far shots at the guy but there's a few guys on that list because of Kobe Bryant. That deserves respect.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #25 on: November 29, 2015, 08:06:29 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
Yeah. Pierce whipped Lebron to get his ring too

« Reply #26 on: November 29, 2015, 08:42:24 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
20 guys over Kobe

MJ
Larry
Russell
Shaq
Kareem
Hakeem
McHale
Duncan
Oscar Robertson
Iverson
KG
Pierce
Lebron
Durant
Wilt
Magic
Isaiah Thomas
Havlicek
Dr J
Dirk

Guys not to take
TMac
Yao
Cp3
D Howard

To be seen
B Griffin
S Curry
A Davis
KAT
Jahil O

Yeah Pierce is my favorite player of the modern era and I've always hated Kobe, but it's a major stretch to rank Paul above Kobe.  Major stretch.   

« Reply #27 on: November 29, 2015, 08:43:12 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 742
I don't think there's any objective way to put Kobe outside for a top 15 all time. Ranking guys like Pierce, McHale, Iverson, Erving, and Hondo over him reaks of bias.

On the other hand, he's generally overrated as a lot of (most?) basketball people have him as a top ten guy but I don't think enough attention is paid to the fact that he robbed his own team or a championship in '04 because he wanted to be the star of the show. That knocks an otherwise top ten career back some notches. Still, he's a no-brainer, first-ballot HoF'er.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #28 on: November 29, 2015, 09:12:31 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Dudes a legend whether you love him, like him a little bit, or hate his guts. Respect is due where respect is deserved. Kobe definitely deserves that respect. He became a better pro later on in his career. He's a top 15 player of all time and the game is better today because of what he has done for it.

« Reply #29 on: November 29, 2015, 09:21:54 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
I don't think there's any objective way to put Kobe outside for a top 15 all time. Ranking guys like Pierce, McHale, Iverson, Erving, and Hondo over him reaks of bias.

On the other hand, he's generally overrated as a lot of (most?) basketball people have him as a top ten guy but I don't think enough attention is paid to the fact that he robbed his own team or a championship in '04 because he wanted to be the star of the show. That knocks an otherwise top ten career back some notches. Still, he's a no-brainer, first-ballot HoF'er.
Wait a second. Give Pierce Shaq for as many years as Kobe had and what would happen? Would he run him out of town due to severe selfishness? The first year Pierce had a guy like that he won a ring.
Hondo won 8 rings.
Trade Iverson for Kobe and what happens to both teams?
What would have happened if Kobe had to play against the Celtics and Bulls and Pistons and Lakers in the 80s and early 90s like DR J? Trade Dr J for Kobe with some Harry Potter magic and what happens?
McHale is essentially the best PF ever on one of the best teams ever. No apologies there.