Author Topic: My prediction: Sullinger's not going anywhere  (Read 3659 times)

Re: My prediction: Sullinger's not going anywhere
« Reply #30 on: November 30, 2015, 06:46:46 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
What are we, Laker fans, accustomed to trading a single Olynyk or Terry Rozier for a legit superstar and then evading karma on our way to multiple championships? If we want a player like Cousins, we'll have to pony up. I think we'll only have to give up one of our two golden assets.

I think the feeling is that trading our major assets for Cousins will only serve to put us in a similar position as Sacramento is now -- with Cousins as the only really notable player, and no obvious way of securing additional great players to place alongside him.

That feeling is entirely ignorant of the managerial differences between Sacramento and Boston.

Meh.  I love Cousins, but I don't think the Celts as currently constructed would go very far if you simply slotted him into the starting center spot.

I would agree if you said that the Celts are a much better managed team with a superior coach and a deeper cast of role players.  I'd disagree if you think that'd be enough to get the team very far.  Perhaps Boston could attract some significant free agents with Cousins on the roster.   I'm not sure.

I really believe Cousins needs to be on a team with at least one other established star.  Installing Cousins as the unquestioned main guy, answerable to no one, is not a recipe for success, even with competent management and stable coaching.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #31 on: November 30, 2015, 06:49:05 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
http://espn.go.com/nba/player/_/id/6624/jared-sullinger

and you think he is untouchable?

He is doing better on D, and not as big as a liability as he once was, but this is a contract year and he is not even one of our top bigs on D.

Sullinger's 31.4% would be break even for a team shooting 47.1% for 2-Point shots and is not far off of where he would need to be for a team that hits 48.3% of 2-Point shots.

I think the key for him with 3-Point shots (or any shot really) is to make sure he is taking good shots at good times.

His shooting % is still not great.   He does best when he does not take the threes.   The long two is not a bad shot for him.

He has had three great games, WSH x 2 and Dallas.  1 Stinker game ORL, 12 average games where he scored 8-12 pts, of these he had 7 where he got double digit rebounds. 

He is a rotational big, who plays well occasionally, rebounds solid most nights, but let's not start the borderline all star crap again.   Our bigs our mediocre, he may be the best of that mediocre lot.   That does not mean you build around the guy.  We should keep him if the price is right but acknowledge that it takes Amir, to help him on D.

« Reply #32 on: November 30, 2015, 06:56:13 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 551
31.4% is below the break-even point, which I think is fair to call poor.  Sully has streaks where he shoots well from three, but it never sustains. 

The numbers you posted seem to back up my first post.

I actually don't think it is quite that simple (I am not picking a fight with PhoSita, just usinig his post as an example).  33% for 3-Point shots is the "break even point" if the team is shooting exactly 50% for all 2-Point shots but most teams shoot below that.  The league average ranges from a low of 43.6% (CHI) to a high of 52.5% (LAC) based on only 2-Point shots taken.  Boston comes in at 48.3%

Sullinger's 31.4% would be break even for a team shooting 47.1% for 2-Point shots and is not far off of where he would need to be for a team that hits 48.3% of 2-Point shots.

I think the key for him with 3-Point shots (or any shot really) is to make sure he is taking good shots at good times.  For example, he should not be taking 3s early in the shot clock unless he is fully set a uncontested.  In that case (set and uncontested), I think it is a good shot that he might hit 35% to 40% of the time.  A contested shot late in the shot clock might be OK too.  It just all depends.

I think he shoots it well enough that it is a weapon he should use in the right circumstances.  As he gains experience, he should get better at picking those moments.  He should take the 3 just often enough that the defender needs to be thinking about it and it will help open up other things for him and the team.
Not that easy of a comparison.  Drives to the lane and post plays are much more likely to draw fouls than jump shots.  So you'll get additional points via free three throws and increase the possibility of putting opposing players in foul trouble.