Author Topic: Tommy was kind of right  (Read 6723 times)

Re: Tommy was kind of right
« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2015, 09:31:18 PM »

Offline flybono

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 48
Who gives a rats @ss!
 Basketball purgatory is what the Celtics are in unless Ainge starts to make some moves..

« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2015, 09:35:29 PM »

Offline KeepRondo

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 215
Who gives a rats @ss!
 Basketball purgatory is what the Celtics are in unless Ainge starts to make some moves..
I wouldn't be against trading away players. With so many teams hovering around 500, it would be pretty easy to fall back to the 7th pick or so. Problem is, we have so many players that you'd have to get rid of about 3-5 of them.

« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2015, 09:38:45 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Who gives a rats @ss!
I wouldn't be against trading away players. With so many teams hovering around 500, it would be pretty easy to fall back to the 7th pick or so. Problem is, we have so many players that you'd have to get rid of about 3-5 of them.

Right.  It's hard to see what would be gained by trading off some of our mediocre guys just to pick up some minor picks.  We already have too many draft picks.  Dropping back in the standings might improve our draft position by a few slots, but that's it.

We're stuck hoping on that Nets pick.
You値l have to excuse my lengthiness葉he reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2015, 09:39:03 PM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
Aaron Gordon is going to be 5 times the player Jerebko is.
I'd give up anyone other than Smart for Gordon.

Tommy Heinsohn is a legend, but he doesn't have much of a clue about current players other than the eye test when he commentates.
He said the other day that Okafor was the clear rookie of the year candidate, but he hasn't seen Towns play yet...(Edited.  Profanity and masked profanity are against forum rules and may result in discipline.?) lol.
Aaron Gordon was out all of last year (basically) and has All Star potential. Jerebko is a stop gap filler that belongs on the end of most benches as an 8th, 9th man. We just don't have anyone other than Crowder that can play the 3 and the small ball 4.
Aaron Gordon projects to be Jae Crowder with Blake Griffin athleticism- he's already improved his handle a tonne. I didn't think he should have gone as high as he did in the draft at the time, perhaps 4 or 5 spots back is where I thought he would go, but he's looking like a very good pick for them right now and makes me understand why Ainge was rumored to be gunning hard to get him that draft night.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2015, 09:44:07 PM »

Offline KeepRondo

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
Who gives a rats @ss!

Right.  It's hard to see what would be gained by trading off some of our mediocre guys just to pick up some minor picks.  We already have too many draft picks.  Dropping back in the standings might improve our draft position by a few slots, but that's it.

If we got rid of Sully and Lee. Then traded IT4 to the Pelicans for their draft pick. Maybe that might make sense. We tank and get the Pelicans pick.

« Reply #20 on: November 29, 2015, 09:45:20 PM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277
Who gives a rats @ss!

I'd much rather do that.

« Reply #21 on: November 29, 2015, 09:47:29 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
I'd take Aaron Gordon over any of our young guys right now.

It's been very discouraging seeing a lot of these other 2014 guys blossoming (Gordon -- even in limited minutes, Lavine, Randle, Clarkson, etc) while Smart has mostly struggled and now is injured.

I've defended Smart a lot, but I'm beginning to worry about that pick.
Yup.   This is a classic CelticsBlog thread right here. 

"I'd rather have Jonas Jerebko than Aaron Gordon"...  It's right up there with "Kendrick Perkins is a better fit for this team than Hakeem in his prime"...  I officially nominate this for most Celticsbloggy thread of 2015... Great timing, too... like Oscar season, nobody remembers the threads from January.  Good to close out the year strong with this gem as we head into awards season.

Jerebko is 28 years old and averaging 3.1 points, 2.9 rebounds, 0.9 assists, 0.3 blocks and 0.3 steals with 34%/20%/87% shooting in 14mpg... he had 7 points, 3 rebounds and 3 assists tonight in 18 minutes and this thread gets created...

Gordon just turned 20 years old and is averaging 7.7 points, 5.1 rebounds, 1.4 assists, 1.2 blocks and 0.6 steals with 44%/23%/67% shooting in 19.8mpg... He put up 12 points, 5 rebounds, 2 assists and a steal tonight in 22 minutes. 

I still have Aaron Gordon ranked above Smart in trade value.  I have Smart above Randle for now, but Randle seems to be closing that gap.  He was dared to shoot jumpers last night and seemed to handle his business:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JD5-NSA9QAg

Randle has looked nice, but he reminds me of nobody so much as a young David Lee.  Nice, but not exactly a budding superstar.
You値l have to excuse my lengthiness葉he reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #22 on: November 29, 2015, 09:56:00 PM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo

It's been very discouraging seeing a lot of these other 2014 guys blossoming (Gordon -- even in limited minutes, Lavine, Randle, Clarkson, etc) while Smart has mostly struggled and now is injured.

"I'd rather have Jonas Jerebko than Aaron Gordon"...  It's right up there with "Kendrick Perkins is a better fit for this team than Hakeem in his prime"...  I officially nominate this for most Celticsbloggy thread of 2015... Great timing, too... like Oscar season, nobody remembers the threads from January.  Good to close out the year strong with this gem as we head into awards season.

Jerebko is 28 years old and averaging 3.1 points, 2.9 rebounds, 0.9 assists, 0.3 blocks and 0.3 steals with 34%/20%/87% shooting in 14mpg... he had 7 points, 3 rebounds and 3 assists tonight in 18 minutes and this thread gets created...

Gordon just turned 20 years old and is averaging 7.7 points, 5.1 rebounds, 1.4 assists, 1.2 blocks and 0.6 steals with 44%/23%/67% shooting in 19.8mpg... He put up 12 points, 5 rebounds, 2 assists and a steal tonight in 22 minutes. 

I still have Aaron Gordon ranked above Smart in trade value.  I have Smart above Randle for now, but Randle seems to be closing that gap.  He was dared to shoot jumpers last night and seemed to handle his business:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JD5-NSA9QAg

Randle has looked nice, but he reminds me of nobody so much as a young David Lee.  Nice, but not exactly a budding superstar.

He's closer to what you said before: Carl Landry I believe.

« Reply #23 on: November 29, 2015, 09:59:19 PM »

Offline KeepRondo

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo

He's quicker and has a better handle than Landry.

« Reply #24 on: November 29, 2015, 10:11:31 PM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo

With horrible defense to boot.

« Reply #25 on: November 29, 2015, 10:12:29 PM »

Offline KeepRondo

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo

Not sure Defense is part of the game plan for the Lakers.

« Reply #26 on: November 29, 2015, 10:17:13 PM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo

Probably, but Randle in particular stands out considering that their defense is actually better when he sits/

« Reply #27 on: November 29, 2015, 10:24:23 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish

So .... David Lee.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #28 on: November 29, 2015, 10:24:55 PM »

Offline KeepRondo

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo

Probably, but Randle in particular stands out considering that their defense is actually better when he sits/
You going by stats cause defensive stats are very over rated considering there are so many variables involved.

And I haven't seen any of their games so I can't say myself. Would prefer to wait for the eye test on this.

« Reply #29 on: November 29, 2015, 10:41:53 PM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo

You going by stats cause defensive stats are very over rated considering there are so many variables involved.

And I haven't seen any of their games so I can't say myself. Would prefer to wait for the eye test on this.

Even by the eye test he doesn't pass, he gets lost on defense and he always late to contest the defender.