Author Topic: Tommy was kind of right  (Read 6701 times)

Tommy was kind of right
« on: November 29, 2015, 06:37:15 PM »

Offline walker834

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 238
When he said jerebko would be better than any of these rookies.  Watching Aaron Gordon, I'd take jerebko over him right now.  Not a rookie but Heinsohn was basically just still smoldering from all the hype of last  years draft class.

Re: Tommy was kind of right
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2015, 07:11:36 PM »

Offline 86MaxwellSmart

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 378
When he said jerebko would be better than any of these rookies.  Watching Aaron Gordon, I'd take jerebko over him right now.  Not a rookie but Heinsohn was basically just still smoldering from all the hype of last  years draft class.

Tommy is still smoldering from that 2007 Draft Lottery---the look on his face was unbelievable...him and Jerry West---both knew some tomfoolery was happening.
Larry Bird was Greater than you think.

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2015, 07:13:28 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
no

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2015, 07:58:04 PM »

Offline TheFlex

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 367
No. Gordon is already better than Jerebko.

Draft: 8 first rounders in next 5 years.

Cap space: $24 mil.

https://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague/

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2015, 08:01:17 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I'd take Aaron Gordon over any of our young guys right now.

It's been very discouraging seeing a lot of these other 2014 guys blossoming (Gordon -- even in limited minutes, Lavine, Randle, Clarkson, etc) while Smart has mostly struggled and now is injured.

I've defended Smart a lot, but I'm beginning to worry about that pick.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2015, 08:03:16 PM »

Offline apc

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 437
Can't take Tommy too seriously , I'm sure he had good things to say about Jajuan Johnson.

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2015, 08:03:44 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Can't take Tommy too seriously , I'm sure he had good things to say about Jajuan Johnson.

He did.  I remember him saying JJ would be a good player.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2015, 08:34:30 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish

It's been very discouraging seeing a lot of these other 2014 guys blossoming (Gordon -- even in limited minutes, Lavine, Randle, Clarkson, etc) while Smart has mostly struggled and now is injured.

Yup.   This is a classic CelticsBlog thread right here. 

"I'd rather have Jonas Jerebko than Aaron Gordon"...  It's right up there with "Kendrick Perkins is a better fit for this team than Hakeem in his prime"...  I officially nominate this for most Celticsbloggy thread of 2015... Great timing, too... like Oscar season, nobody remembers the threads from January.  Good to close out the year strong with this gem as we head into awards season.

Jerebko is 28 years old and averaging 3.1 points, 2.9 rebounds, 0.9 assists, 0.3 blocks and 0.3 steals with 34%/20%/87% shooting in 14mpg... he had 7 points, 3 rebounds and 3 assists tonight in 18 minutes and this thread gets created...

Gordon just turned 20 years old and is averaging 7.7 points, 5.1 rebounds, 1.4 assists, 1.2 blocks and 0.6 steals with 44%/23%/67% shooting in 19.8mpg... He put up 12 points, 5 rebounds, 2 assists and a steal tonight in 22 minutes. 

I still have Aaron Gordon ranked above Smart in trade value.  I have Smart above Randle for now, but Randle seems to be closing that gap.  He was dared to shoot jumpers last night and seemed to handle his business:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JD5-NSA9QAg

« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2015, 08:42:31 PM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471

Yup.   This is a classic CelticsBlog thread right here. 

"I'd rather have Jonas Jerebko than Aaron Gordon"...  It's right up there with "Kendrick Perkins is a better fit for this team than Hakeem in his prime"...  I officially nominate this for most Celticsbloggy thread of 2015... Great timing, too... like Oscar season, nobody remembers the threads from January.  Good to close out the year strong with this gem as we head into awards season.

Jerebko is 28 years old and averaging 3.1 points, 2.9 rebounds, 0.9 assists, 0.3 blocks and 0.3 steals with 34%/20%/87% shooting in 14mpg... he had 7 points, 3 rebounds and 3 assists tonight in 18 minutes and this thread gets created...

Gordon just turned 20 years old and is averaging 7.7 points, 5.1 rebounds, 1.4 assists, 1.2 blocks and 0.6 steals with 44%/23%/67% shooting in 19.8mpg... He put up 12 points, 5 rebounds, 2 assists and a steal tonight in 22 minutes. 

I still have Aaron Gordon ranked above Smart in trade value.  I have Smart above Randle for now, but Randle seems to be closing that gap.  He was dared to shoot jumpers last night and seemed to handle his business:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JD5-NSA9QAg

I'd say another Celticsblog classic is wildly overvaluing someone like Gordon because the poster never sees the games where he stinks the joint out.

Mike

« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2015, 08:47:51 PM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277

Put Clarkson and Randle on the Celtics and see if they thrive. I've seen the Lakers play, Randle's limitations are obvious and Clarkson sounds like a good numbers on a bad team guy.

« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2015, 08:53:02 PM »

Offline walker834

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 238
I think I get how Tommy means what he says. I think he just knows how the celtics are more trying to build a team and how Jerebko fits here. He's not wrong.  I don't know if Gordon would be a better fit honestly.  It's more tongue in cheek how he means it anyways. Young players get way too hyped up sometimes as well.

He praised Jhalil Okafor so he sees it both ways.

Tommy in general can't stand how some people particularly the media and the masses think and he just says things in reverse to cool peoples jets.  I don't blame him.  I think the same way sometimes.

« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2015, 08:54:43 PM »

Offline oldtype

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 143
I'm in a space right now where I hate all of our young prospects.

Smart: why the Edited.  Profanity and masked profanity are against forum rules and may result in discipline. can you not score more and why the Edited.  Profanity and masked profanity are against forum rules and may result in discipline. are you always injured.

Young: SMH

Rozier: We took this guy over RHJ? Really?

RJ Hunter: "Sharpshooter." Can't shoot.

Mickey: Will never see the court barring some mass food-poisoning outbreak.

I'm going to assume this is just because I'm irrationally depressed at how poorly the Celtics have been playing for the last couple of weeks.

Great words from a great man

« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2015, 09:13:22 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish

Put Clarkson and Randle on the Celtics and see if they thrive. I've seen the Lakers play, Randle's limitations are obvious and Clarkson sounds like a good numbers on a bad team guy.
I'm just curious... are Randle's limitations more obvious than Smart's limitations?.. because to me they both seem like pretty obvious limitations.

I have Smart ahead of Randle right now, but Randle is closing the gap.

« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2015, 09:19:41 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2509
I'm in a space right now where I hate all of our young prospects.

Smart: why the **** can you not score more and why the **** are you always injured.

Young: SMH

Rozier: We took this guy over RHJ? Really?

RJ Hunter: "Sharpshooter." Can't shoot.

Mickey: Will never see the court barring some mass food-poisoning outbreak.

I'm going to assume this is just because I'm irrationally depressed at how poorly the Celtics have been playing for the last couple of weeks.

I think the "hate" is from your depression, but it's rational to worry that none of these guys will be better than a decent rotation guy (other than Smart who it makes sense to have future all-star hopes for).

« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2015, 09:27:18 PM »

Offline KeepRondo

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 215

I'm just curious... are Randle's limitations more obvious than Smart's limitations?.. because to me they both seem like pretty obvious limitations.

I have Smart ahead of Randle right now, but Randle is closing the gap.
Smart was the hope for this year. Without him improving, we are just a 500 team.