Author Topic: Okafor in trouble again  (Read 10464 times)

Re: Okafor in trouble again
« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2015, 02:50:01 PM »

Offline Emmette Bryant

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 286
Okafor isn't exactly being a role model, but I think it only speaks to how dangerous the 76ers locker room has become. There is absolutely no one who can lead and tell players, "look you need to be accountable for every actions you do, and be aware of the consequences that come with it."

Do you think Garnett would've let half of the stunts Okafor has pulled, to fly by?

I don't know how impactful other guys could be, but it could be something much simpler: you know as a player that the team doesn't care about winning. So why practice hard? Why take care of your body or behave yourself?

Why do any of that when you're "job" is to go out and get shellacked by 30 every night anyway?
To blame Okafor's incidents on the Sixers losing or not having vet leadership is a convenient excuse.  Okafor's bad decisions are his own.  Lots of 19 year olds make similarly stupid decisions or worse.  Lots of athletes, young and old, make similarly stupid decisions or worse.   

They Sixers last four games, including against us, have all been 5 points or less.  They may not have won a game yet but I'd much rather be a young player on the Sixers than the Lakers.

Look at what's going on in Minnesota.  The T-Wolves have a bunch of young guys with talent. They've also brought in three adults who are doing a great job mentoring the young guys.  As a result, they are a 500 team fighting for a playoff berth.

« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2015, 03:00:35 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
Okafor isn't exactly being a role model, but I think it only speaks to how dangerous the 76ers locker room has become. There is absolutely no one who can lead and tell players, "look you need to be accountable for every actions you do, and be aware of the consequences that come with it."

Do you think Garnett would've let half of the stunts Okafor has pulled, to fly by?

I don't know how impactful other guys could be, but it could be something much simpler: you know as a player that the team doesn't care about winning. So why practice hard? Why take care of your body or behave yourself?

Why do any of that when you're "job" is to go out and get shellacked by 30 every night anyway?
To blame Okafor's incidents on the Sixers losing or not having vet leadership is a convenient excuse.  Okafor's bad decisions are his own.  Lots of 19 year olds make similarly stupid decisions or worse.  Lots of athletes, young and old, make similarly stupid decisions or worse.   

They Sixers last four games, including against us, have all been 5 points or less.  They may not have won a game yet but I'd much rather be a young player on the Sixers than the Lakers.

Look at what's going on in Minnesota.  The T-Wolves have a bunch of young guys with talent. They've also brought in three adults who are doing a great job mentoring the young guys.  As a result, they are a 500 team fighting for a playoff berth.
I don't see Noel, Covington, Stauskas, Wroten, etc. getting into trouble.  Johnny Manziel is constantly in trouble despite the Browns have a number of quality veterans to provide guidance.  This isn't an issue of veteran leadership, it is an individual person problem.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2015, 03:04:31 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
Veteran leadership will certainly help. But as Moranis stated, it won't stave off personal problems or issues players will have, especially since Okafor has always been a winner on every level, except the professional one.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2015, 03:20:53 PM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962

I agree.  No adults in the locker room.

All of a sudden, Shirley Temple addictions don't look so bad.

Hahahaha.
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale

« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2015, 03:31:30 PM »

Offline TomHeinsohn

• NCE
  • Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 33
I gotta tell you, this Philly organization is ATROCIOUS, but this kid Okafor is going to be a very special player, he scores AT THE BASKET and nobody can defend a back to the basket player anymore.

not sure if you're trying to be tommy (given your username), but thats like exactly what he said in the philly game lol

There's a Tommy point!

« Reply #20 on: November 29, 2015, 03:39:55 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2704
I gotta tell you, this Philly organization is ATROCIOUS, but this kid Okafor is going to be a very special player, he scores AT THE BASKET and nobody can defend a back to the basket player anymore.

not sure if you're trying to be tommy (given your username), but thats like exactly what he said in the philly game lol

There's a Tommy point!

Maybe he is Tom Heinsohn!

« Reply #21 on: November 29, 2015, 03:40:01 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 551

The T-Wolves already had veterans on their team last year.  Those veterans got injured early so they were able to tank for Towns.  If that hadn't occurred, they would have fought for a playoff spot last year. 

The Sixers aren't trying to win this year.  Their maximizing their chances to acquire star talent.  Even with that the Sixers only lost to the T-Wolves by 5 recently and Okafor dominated Towns. 

« Reply #22 on: November 29, 2015, 03:50:07 PM »

Offline KeepRondo

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 215
I'm not casting stone at anybody 19 years old .  I did lots of totally stupid stuff that I look back and shake my head.

I agree it would be helpful to have some 30 + year old role models on the team.......but no we can't have that .....might mean they would win a few games. ::)
I agree but the whole I got money and you don't rant that was caught on video just makes him sound like a B****. It makes me question how that fight started in Boston. The police report says Okafor tried to come up to some girls and the guys with them took offense.

« Reply #23 on: November 29, 2015, 04:04:40 PM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471

The T-Wolves already had veterans on their team last year.  Those veterans got injured early so they were able to tank for Towns.  If that hadn't occurred, they would have fought for a playoff spot last year. 

The Sixers aren't trying to win this year.  Their maximizing their chances to acquire star talent.  Even with that the Sixers only lost to the T-Wolves by 5 recently and Okafor dominated Towns.

I love how the Sixers almost beating someone is just as good as other teams actually winning games.  Maybe we need a new Hinkie scale where if you only lose by 5 or less, it counts as a win in draft lottery position.

Mike

« Reply #24 on: November 29, 2015, 04:10:16 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
a mature 19 year old is the exception not the rule so you have to give this guy a pass, but I believe his family should counsel him because he has demonstrated a rather bad attitude that needs to be addressed.

First, when the draft did not go his way he was sulking very visibly.

Second, when the team paying him millions introduced him to the press he threw his jersey to the floor after the presser.

Do these actions mean anything? Maybe, maybe not, but when you combine them to the three off the court incidents that have been identified you have a problem that needs to be addressed by his family if not by the team. After all, he is only 19.

« Reply #25 on: November 30, 2015, 08:28:30 AM »

Offline The One

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 203
So just to recap:

1 - Drove 40 miles over the speed limit

2 - Involved in altercation in Philly, had gun pointed at his head

3 - Involved in altercation in Boston, knocked down a heckler

All in the last 3 months?

Do I have this right?

« Reply #26 on: November 30, 2015, 08:43:57 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
He's 19. He doesn't need to be a role model, he needs one himself.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #27 on: November 30, 2015, 09:16:33 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
So just to recap:

1 - Drove 40 miles over the speed limit

2 - Involved in altercation in Philly, had gun pointed at his head

3 - Involved in altercation in Boston, knocked down a heckler

All in the last 3 months?

Do I have this right?
appears that way
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #28 on: November 30, 2015, 09:31:46 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
That's three incidents for a 19 year old in a few weeks. If the Sixers won't reign him in, his agents need to. Maybe the agency can find him a mentor since his team is apparently incapable.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #29 on: November 30, 2015, 09:47:57 AM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 618
Lol at people doing the 'he's still so young' thing, and also comparing him with regular 19yr olds.

He'll be fine.
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.