Author Topic: Danny Ainge talks bout why the Javale MCgee deal didn't fall through  (Read 1895 times)

Offline CelticsFanFromNYC

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 137
  Read this on HoopsHype. Forgive me if it has already been posted but i didn't see anything here about it. Apparently Javale thought he was going to be something special or was money hungry

Celtics president of basketball operations Danny Ainge attempted to negotiate a deal with McGee after he was waived by the 76ers in March. The Celtics wanted to sign him to a multiyear deal, potentially to become their starting center. But McGee wanted a rest-of-the-season deal so he could cash in on free agency in the summer. As it turned out, he didn’t cash in because the injury lingered. “I was real close,” he said. “I came [to Boston] for a day and went back [home]. It just didn’t work out. It just didn’t fit right, but it all worked out for me.” – via Boston Globe

Re: Danny Ainge talks bout why the Javale MCgee deal didn't fall through
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2015, 12:50:52 PM »

Offline walker834

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 238
I think he would have done alright here. More athletic than Amir probably at this stage of his career, but Amir fits well, plays hard and fits his role. The C's might have been trying to get Mcgee cheaper than they paid Amir johnson.

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2015, 01:36:37 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
I think he would have done alright here. More athletic than Amir probably at this stage of his career, but Amir fits well, plays hard and fits his role. The C's might have been trying to get Mcgee cheaper than they paid Amir johnson.

Less than $12 million a year?  Yeah it's probably very safe to say we were offering less than that. 

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2015, 01:45:01 PM »

Offline CelticsFanFromNYC

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 137
I feel Amir's 12 Million is justified for he has proven to be a capable starting NBA PF. Javale really hasn't proven anything else other than the potentials there.

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2015, 01:45:15 PM »

Offline IDreamCeltics

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 140
Thank God it didn't work out.  He's terrible.

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2015, 01:47:36 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
Javale McGee is probably one of the most polarizing talents I've seen. He can seriously have the same impact as Gobert, but his basketball IQ is so low, its almost crazy how much potential he has, but just doesn't care about improving himself.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2015, 02:18:36 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Javale McGee is probably one of the most polarizing talents I've seen. He can seriously have the same impact as Gobert, but his basketball IQ is so low, its almost crazy how much potential he has, but just doesn't care about improving himself.

I think my eyes would explode watching a lineup consisting of Bradley, Turner, Sully, and McGee on the floor at the same time. Could be the lowest combined basketball IQ of any unit in the league regardless of who the fifth guy on the court was. The game would be soooo freakin slow without any ball movement from any of them.

« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2015, 02:27:40 PM »

Online 86MaxwellSmart

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 378
Yeah, well---Amir has been a Huge disappointment for me so far---Hopefully his Huge Contract is dealt soon.
Larry Bird was Greater than you think.

« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2015, 02:29:42 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I'm pretty glad Javale didn't end up here.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2015, 02:34:25 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

I think my eyes would explode watching a lineup consisting of Bradley, Turner, Sully, and McGee on the floor at the same time. Could be the lowest combined basketball IQ of any unit in the league regardless of who the fifth guy on the court was. The game would be soooo freakin slow without any ball movement from any of them.

What??

Sully's entire game is predicated on positioning and efficiently using his body on offense and defense; While Turner isn't the best shooter, he  fills up a stat sheet and does many things well on offense and defense; and Bradley is perhaps the best defensive SG in the league and is awesome coming off picks for an open shot.

McGee is considered to have low basketball IQ because of his unlimited athleticism, but total lack of focus or general knowledge of the game of basketball. These are not qualities of Sully, Turner, and Bradley.

« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2015, 02:42:08 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975

What??

Sully's entire game is predicated on positioning and efficiently using his body on offense and defense; While Turner isn't the best shooter, he  fills up a stat sheet and does many things well on offense and defense; and Bradley is perhaps the best defensive SG in the league and is awesome coming off picks for an open shot.

McGee is considered to have low basketball IQ because of his unlimited athleticism, but total lack of focus or general knowledge of the game of basketball. These are not qualities of Sully, Turner, and Bradley.

Forgive him, he knows not what he said.

« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2015, 06:12:56 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741
I'm pretty glad Javale didn't end up here.
Same. Money down the toilet.

He's an incredible talent with his size and athleticism. He should be a DPOY candidate. But he can't get healthy and even when he was he couldn't focus and play right. It's too bad.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2015, 06:47:38 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238
Thread title threw me. I thought that I had missed some transaction.

I think the thread title either needs the word "did" or the word "go" in it....maybe I'm wrong.

« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2015, 07:29:37 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
I feel Amir's 12 Million is justified for he has proven to be a capable starting NBA PF. Javale really hasn't proven anything else other than the potentials there.
I'd be rather surprised if Amir was still here next year making 12 mil.  That always seemed like a funky overpay for a capable rotation player that could be used in a mid-season trade for salary purposes and contribute to the team in the meantime.