Author Topic: Big 3 era: Your most disappointing playoff exit? (excluding Finals loss)  (Read 5510 times)

Re: Big 3 era: Your most disappointing playoff exit? (excluding Finals loss)
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2015, 10:18:46 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990
2012 easily. Up 3-2, no reason to let LBJ go superhuman at the Garden in Game 6.

But I tell ya what, we would be working on Banner 21 right now if:

1) KG was not injured in 2009- win #18 there.
2) Game 7 was not rigged in 2010 with like 21 FTs in the 4th Q?; Perkins did not go down in Game 6- we'd celebrate #19 in LA.
3) Okay sure Dallas was hot, so we'd lose that finals and I can accept it.
4) Beat the Miami Heat, and beat the young OKC Thunder with full health. That's our #20.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2015, 10:41:14 PM »

Offline MJohnnyboy

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 269
It's a tie between 2010 and 2012. 2009 the Celtics didn't have KG and still gave the Magic all they got. I wasn't disappointed in that team. 2011 the Celtics had a one-armed Rondo and a dysfunctional roster when all was said and done. They could have done more damage if Wade wasn't dirty/Shaq didn't get rushed back. After Rondo broke his arm, elimination was inevitable.

2010 the Celtics had a 75% KG all season, lost Perk and had a 3-2 lead. It was pretty heartbreaking. It really speaks volumes to how good the big 3 Celtics were. I'd argue that was their weakest year as a team and they came within a few minutes of good basketball from winning banner 18.

2012 the Celtics benefited from a depleted eastern conference but they fought tooth and nail against Miami to where a foul on Rondo may have changed the whole landscape of the series. Granted I don't think they would have had the stamina to compete with the young and very tough OKC team, but they were a Lebron James legendary performance from going to the finals.

« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2015, 10:54:26 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
2010 definitely.

But to answer the options presented by the OP 2012.

« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2015, 10:54:37 PM »

Offline CelticSince83

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 42
For some reason this thread and probably also tonight's game made me remember how big of a steal that Big Baby for Bass trade was.  I rarely hear it brought up, which is why I mention it, but Bass was huge in that 2012 playoff run and that was one of Trader Danny's best and perhaps most underrated move.

« Reply #19 on: December 30, 2015, 11:38:01 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
We had no business getting as far as we did in 2012.  That was an overachieving team in every sense.  An 8th seed philly team upset the Rose-less Bulls and nearly beat us.  Miami stepped on our throats when it mattered.  We weren't a real contender that year.

2009 stung because we probably would have repeated had kG been healthy.  Darn shame.

« Reply #20 on: December 30, 2015, 11:47:48 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990
We had no business getting as far as we did in 2012.  That was an overachieving team in every sense.  An 8th seed philly team upset the Rose-less Bulls and nearly beat us.  Miami stepped on our throats when it mattered.  We weren't a real contender that year.

2009 stung because we probably would have repeated had kG been healthy.  Darn shame.

Miami was also down 3-2. Chris Bosh started making ridiculous 3's. Mario Chalmers looked like an all-star.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #21 on: December 30, 2015, 11:50:50 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016

Miami was also down 3-2. Chris Bosh started making ridiculous 3's. Mario Chalmers looked like an all-star.
yeah whatever.  Miami was never losing that series and Boston was never winning a title that year.  They shouldn't have even gotten that far. 

2009 is the one that stings, because we were actually contenders that year.

« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2016, 02:05:02 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
Outside of 2010, definitely 2012 for me.  That team found a groove late in the season after many had written them off.

The chemistry between Rondo and Garnett in the Miami series that year was special.  We had our chances to upset the Heat.

I was heartbroken that we couldn't pull it off.
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson