Author Topic: Does a trade for Cousins give us a look in for Durant in Free Agency?  (Read 2075 times)

Offline slightly biased bias fan

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 310
If Ainge pulls yet another rabbit out of his hat and brings us Boogie, does this give us the possibility of signing Durant?

Its perceived that Durant will either resign at OKC or sign for Wizards but given how Washington is looking at the moment, I think that Wall is showing that he isn't the star Durant needs to climb to the top and OKC seem to be still lacking the real supporting cast needed as when either Westbrook or Durant goes down they are a shell of themselves. OKC's owners have shown to be cheap and inept at structuring a good squad.

If Boston gets Boogie, we have a proven ownership willing to spend when required, a top class GM in Danny and a coach earning rave reviews. If we managed to keep Smart in any future trades a trio of Durant, Smart and Cousins is a fantastic starting point will plenty of cap room, picks and trade available to make a top class team.

Re: Does a trade for Cousins give us a look in for Durant in Free Agency?
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2015, 10:04:40 AM »

Offline konkmv

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 104
Why will he leave westbrook and ibaka for... cousins? We need to focus to the development

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2015, 10:16:41 AM »

• Bill Walton
Why will he leave westbrook and ibaka for... cousins? We need to focus to the development

Because it's quite obvious that OKC won't get there, Ibaka isn't going to score if Durant or Westbrook is having an off night, their ensemble of Kanter and Waiters is pathetic and ownership screwed Durant and Westbrook out of Harden because of a couple of million dollars.

Westbrook or Ibaka can jump ship the season after anyway as both are off contract in 2017.

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2015, 10:56:10 AM »

Offline Smartacus

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 318
Cousins and Durant would provide enough scoring to offset Smarts deficency and allow him to feast a bit off the attention they draw.

A man can dream.

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2015, 12:19:56 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
I asked this hypothetical a few weeks ago... What would your offer be for cousins if it guaranteed you durant in free agency? ... Like... The entire team and every draft pick ? 

Keep in mind that once you had those two locked up, and a cap that is rising to over 100 mil in a couple years, you'd have no shortage of opportunities to add quality players around them in free agency.  The late 1sts wouldn't matter.

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2015, 12:20:54 PM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
Simmons would help more...

Smart, IT, Rozier
Bradley, Hunter, Young
Durant, Simmons
Simmons, Mickey
Sully, Kelly, Poetl

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2015, 12:26:14 PM »

Offline Endless Paradise

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 182
Its perceived that Durant will either resign at OKC or sign for Wizards but given how Washington is looking at the moment, I think that Wall is showing that he isn't the star Durant needs to climb to the top and OKC seem to be still lacking the real supporting cast needed as when either Westbrook or Durant goes down they are a shell of themselves. OKC's owners have shown to be cheap and inept at structuring a good squad.

Well, yeah, it goes without saying that a team is going to struggle without its best players, especially when those players are top 5/10 in the league.

Tell me how far Golden State is going if Steph or Draymond go down. The Spurs were terrible without Kawhi last year.

This whole "cheap" narrative is silly, too, they're paying the luxury tax for the second year in a row. They're 11-6 and third in the west despite KD already having missed six games. They're doing pretty well, all things considered.

« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2015, 12:51:15 PM »

• Bill Walton

Well, yeah, it goes without saying that a team is going to struggle without its best players, especially when those players are top 5/10 in the league.

Tell me how far Golden State is going if Steph or Draymond go down. The Spurs were terrible without Kawhi last year.

This whole "cheap" narrative is silly, too, they're paying the luxury tax for the second year in a row. They're 11-6 and third in the west despite KD already having missed six games. They're doing pretty well, all things considered.

Look at the cast of Golden State, they obviously will not be the same team but Iggy, Barnes, Klay, Barbosa can all step up the scoring where as I stated earlier OKC don't have even a third volume scorer.

As for the cheap narrative you are right that the last two seasons they have paying the luxury tax but they have most probably been pushed there by the players and agents as they have a history of thinking of dollars first, Harden, Sefolosha, Martin, Jackson have all left because of undervaluing their worth where as Cavs have paid over on Thompson just to keep their cast together.

« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2015, 01:02:26 PM »

Offline Endless Paradise

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 182

Look at the cast of Golden State, they obviously will not be the same team but Iggy, Barnes, Klay, Barbosa can all step up the scoring where as I stated earlier OKC don't have even a third volume scorer.

As for the cheap narrative you are right that the last two seasons they have paying the luxury tax but they have most probably been pushed there by the players and agents as they have a history of thinking of dollars first, Harden, Sefolosha, Martin, Jackson have all left because of undervaluing their worth where as Cavs have paid over on Thompson just to keep their cast together.

1. Why would OKC have a third volume scorer when they have two guys averaging 27+?
2. We already saw last year that Kanter can step in as a primary offensive option if needed when he averaged 22/13 after being traded.
3. It doesn't really matter if Kanter can step up as a volume shooter because the team was clearly mediocre last year when he was a featured player... which is also why it doesn't matter if Iggy, Barnes, Klay, or Barbosa step up their scoring because Golden State is clearly going to be mediocre if Steph goes out.
4. Your last point is false. Harden was traded because of money. Martin left partly because of money and partly because he wanted a bigger role for himself. Sefolosha left because he had a terrible regression his last season in OKC and they mutually decided to part ways. Jackson was traded because he literally forced himself out and wanted to be the starting point guard. No team in their right mind is giving out a maximum contract for Reggie Jackson to be Russell Westbrook's backup, especially when Jackson didn't even want that role. Reggie wanted out of OKC -- he wanted his own team. The money wasn't really the issue there, though it obviously played a role; he wasn't going to be happy unless he was the starting point guard.
5. You bring up Tristan Thompson as if he didn't holdout during the offseason and end up settling for less than what he originally wanted. It's not like the Cavs and Thompson had some super peaceful and quick contract negotiation.

« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2015, 01:22:00 PM »

Online DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
If he leaves to go anywhere, it will not be for a team with superior talent, unless it's the Warriors.

If he leaves to go anywhere, it will be for a few reasons.

1. To go home. Although I don't think this is as big of a draw as some fan bases want to think.
2. To get into a better scheme - wide open, versatile scheme would be perfect for Durant. (Bulls, Hawks, Mavs, Spurs, Pacers, Celtics)
3. To play for a better coach (Spurs, Warriors, and Celtics all come to mind, with Hawks, Mavs, Pacers, Bulls all potentially there too)
4. To play with a different kind of teammate - more of a ball movement, unselfish style of teammates (Spurs, Warriors, Celtics, Mavs, and Hawks).

« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2015, 01:27:34 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.

Because it's quite obvious that OKC won't get there, Ibaka isn't going to score if Durant or Westbrook is having an off night, their ensemble of Kanter and Waiters is pathetic and ownership screwed Durant and Westbrook out of Harden because of a couple of million dollars.

Westbrook or Ibaka can jump ship the season after anyway as both are off contract in 2017.

Absolutely no evidence to prove that they cannot make the WCF. If the entire team is healthy, even the worst coaches can coach that team to the WCF. Ibaka, Westbrook, Waiters, and Kanter even as you said is 'pathetic,' is 10 times out of 10 a far better team than the Celtics.

If we got DMC, could it help our potential chances of bidding for his services? Sure. But its presumptuous to think OKC doesn't even have a fledgling of a chance. In basketball, you take any risk or chance you can to capitalize on that, and Durant clearly knows what he wants.

If he wants to stop being dissed and hated on for being a pretentious 'nice,' guy or tired of coming in second, then staying in OKC, and leading his team to a championship, (which seems to be his biggest desire by his responses and actions about the idea of leaving OKC,) and I believe Durant, Ibaka, and Westbrook can do it.

The year they got to the finals and lost to the Heat, they simply got overplayed due to inexperience, and not having enough chemistry together.

A healthy OKC is still a contender.

I don't see Durant leaving OKC unless they don't make the playoffs, and Donovan looks completely lost as a coach.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2015, 02:01:57 PM »

Offline CelticsFanFromNYC

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 137
I asked this hypothetical a few weeks ago... What would your offer be for cousins if it guaranteed you durant in free agency? ... Like... The entire team and every draft pick ? 

Keep in mind that once you had those two locked up, and a cap that is rising to over 100 mil in a couple years, you'd have no shortage of opportunities to add quality players around them in free agency.  The late 1sts wouldn't matter.

I'd give close to the whole team If we have Durant and Cousins. They can have ALL the draft picks but I need to keep a few players. And WHO cares about draft picks at that point? There would be no time to develop rookies. We will be in win now mode. We will be signing vets to minimums and whoever is talented  willing to ride the wave for a cheap price. Wait , plus the cap going up??

« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2015, 02:15:30 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
This would be the ultimate pipe dream move for me. Cousins and Durant instantly make this team a contender in the East and leaves you room for other pieces to continue building. It all depends on what Sactown wants but I make an overwhelming offer.

Sully, Bradley, Hunter, Rozier The Brooklyn Pick, and 2 other future firsts. That probably doesn't even get it done.

« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2015, 03:53:00 PM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962
Sully, Zeller, Jerebko, and all 2016 picks/whatever picks they want.  Works salaries-wise.

61 million in salary, give Turner ~8 million, should leave around 20 million for Durant.

Smart   -   IT
Bradley   -   Turner
Durant   -   Crowder
Johnson   -   Mickey
Cousins   -   KO

Still got Rozier/Hunter/Young and leftover picks to go after a 3rd guy.

That was fun.  Back to reality.
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale

« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2015, 04:10:17 PM »

Offline TheFlex

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 367
Smart would be an amazing third banana to Durant and Cousins. Would take a lot of luck though, to the point where it isn't even worth discussing the specifics of a hypothetical. It seems too surreal, to get two potential all-time greats just before they're entering their prime.

Draft: 8 first rounders in next 5 years.

Cap space: $24 mil.

https://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague/