Author Topic: Celtics so far  (Read 1584 times)

Celtics so far
« on: November 28, 2015, 07:53:34 PM »

Offline walker834

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 238
Pretty much what has been expected.  We are looking at   40-50 wins no more no less and possibly going deeper than a first round exit in the playoffs.  Isaiah and Bradley have provided good not great scoring.  Some inconsistency.  With workman like play from guys like Amir and Crowder.  David Lee has been a solid presence off the bench. Some decent moments from Rozier and Hunter off the bench.   Jerebko has been himself and versatile.   Sully has reclaimed his starting role and has played well and is worth an extension imo. Zeller not so much but really hasn't gotten minutes.  He's really nothing more than a 3rd  big anyways.

Somewhat disapointing is Smart really hasn't found an offensive role on this team yet and continues to be hobbled by injuries.  KO's defense has been better but really hasn't stepped forward either.   

just overall the team seems more cohesive and players seem to be playing more solidly in their roles.  We should prove to be a tough out in the playoffs if we really play together and share the ball.

I don't see how anyone can really question signing Bradley at this point.  I can see people still questioning the Rondo trade but whatever. He wanted the max and maybe didn't want to stick around as this team grew and wasn't a fit.

Trading Rondo was probably necessary for this team to create it's own identity vs playing Rondo  ball.  Turner has proven to be a poor man's john Wall for this team and doesn't command the minutes or salary or attention. He can also play multiple positions and is more versatile.   That was a smart move by Ainge there and it's a better fit.

Tons of draft picks coming up and trade options but overall the Celtics have been solid and just more consistant in their effort.

We are a fun team to watch although dare I say somewhat boring at times.  Good hard working team though and I see the style of play.

The one thing that really stands out is our defense and ability to create turnovers and that's great to see.  If this team is going to have an identity I'd like it to start on the defensive end and push the pace offensively.  We  are creating more turnovers and more shots per 48 than a lot of teams which is good to see.  It's been a team effort when we do that as well.

There's still a long season ahead and what I'd like to see long term is Smart establish a role here and make Turner expendable eventually.  The Celtics also really lack that it guy whether that's Cousins or Simmons or whoever.  That would make the celtics better.  What the C's really lack is a center and a wing scorer where guys like Amir, Lee and Turner become expendable and guys like KO and Mickey, and our young wings can come off the bench. Smart ultimately should be a better option than Turner in a variety of ways.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2015, 08:36:26 PM by walker834 »

Re: Celtics so far
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2015, 08:22:22 PM »

Offline dreamgreen

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
50 wins would be amazing, as is I don't see how they reach that. Most nights the team is fun to watch and I enjoy rooting for them to win. The unknown is what trades Danny pulls off!

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2015, 08:34:11 PM »

Offline BDeCosta26

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 232
I think were a little better than I originally thought (I was gunning for 41-44, 45 wins), they just have to put it together consistently. If they play to their capability for the majority of the rest of the season I think 50 wins is a legit possibility. Same with a run to the 2nd or 3rd round of the playoffs. The thing that gets me is how we lose pretty good to the Nets (who are pretty dang bad), barely scrape by the Sixers, and then just destroy teams like the Hawks, Wiz and Bucks. I think once the rotations come in place more and if Danny makes a decent move we could make some decent noise this year.

The greatest thing is that it almost doesn't even matter though. With the Brooklyn pick looking like a legit top-5 pick, and two more years of that coming behind it, whatever we achieve this year is like icing on the cake. It's telling that when you go look at other teams game forums against us, they really envy our position of a young solid roster with a great GM, an excellent young coach and that trove of trade assets/picks. Just how high they achieve to this year doesn't seem as important to me as it may have without our whole portfolio of assets.

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2015, 08:48:37 PM »

Offline walker834

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 238
The thing with this team vs when we had KG, pierce, Ray and Rondo was that I expected that team to win every year.  It used to bother me when people would say we are a fun team to watch  and might do ok, because the whole point of that team and how it was constructed was to win championships and multiple at the time.  We won one which was kind of disapointing, but this team is more a fun team to watch right now.  We are still missing a piece or two where we are really contructed to win.  So like you say it's icing on the cake. I could see us doing well though. I hate counting this team out regardless.

Thing with me is I'd much rather Smart step forward and we keep him over a guy like Turner vs dealing Smart and some of our young wings and picks for a big time player.  Id rather keep Smart and our young wings and ride Turner and guys like Lee and Amir out and once we are really on top we'll have those pieces and our young guys for a long great run.  I don't know if it will work out that way though.

The truth is Smart, Turner, Isaiah, Bradley, Rozier, Young, Rj are not all going to be able to coexist here in their prime.  So I'm more just thinking long term.  Maybe I'm wrong and it's a guard heavy league but I think someone will be moved out of there.

I will say the foundation is more solidified here than it has been the last couple.  We should be really good this year.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2015, 09:03:40 PM by walker834 »

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2015, 10:58:26 PM »

Offline loco_91

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 145
I don't think 50 wins is a max for this team. We have the 6th best point differential in the NBA (http://espn.go.com/nba/statistics/team/_/stat/team-comparison-per-game/sort/avgPointsDifference), thanks to keeping our losses close and posting some big-time blowouts.

51-53 wins is not likely, but not a pipe dream. More likely than 40-42 wins I'd bet.

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2015, 11:16:31 PM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
We are a defensive beast in the East.

But there's a huge difference between a 40 win and a 50 win team in the NBA.

We should end up somewhere between 46-50 wins. Losing some of these early ones hurts but we also had a few unexpected wins.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2015, 11:27:47 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
Basically what I had hoped. Rookies are getting playing time. Hunter looks good. Thomas is playing like an All-star. Bradley is more efficient. Olynyk is more decisive (although less efficient). Smart has exploded for some big games (although has been inconsistent). Crowder has solidified himself as our small forward. Sully has played well enough to make him trade bait. Lee has provided leadership. Johnson is the shot-blocker we need.

Overall, I'm happy. I want more consistency out of Smart, more scoring out of Hunter, and more efficiency out of Olynyk, but overall I think that as this team comes together, our shooting percentages will rise and everyone's individual play will continue to elevate.

« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2015, 08:53:12 AM »

Offline billysan

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 178
I have been really impressed with the team play and defense in particular. The reality is we are much closer to 40 wins than 50 IMO because of consistency issues. I think Danny tries for a mid season trade to land a couple players to upgrade the offense without disrupting the team too much. The playoffs are a reasonable expectation but probably a 6 game exit. Still an improvement.

The real story will be what Danny does with all the 2016 draft picks. If we dont make a couple trades, we come to camp with 30 players (LOL) and a headache to decide who we keep. I have to believe Danny will likely end up selling a few picks/players cheap just to get something for them.
"First fix their hearts" -Eizo Shimabuku

« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2015, 09:16:03 AM »

Offline LHR

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 33
  • Executive Producer & Host: Celtics Beat Podcast
"40 to 50 wins" is a pretty substantial difference in my eyes.  I'm still going pretty conservative at 44.  You still see the shades of youth that prevent this team from being consistent enough to go on a good stretch of winning that all good teams have - like say rip off 9/10.

Talked about this on the show today: I don't think this team knows how to, yet, deal with some sort of adversity.  On those nights things aren't running as crisp on offense, some of the vets take matters into their own hands and get away from the program.  Inevitably, that makes matters worse.  That's just one example.  For this group to make that jump from being an good little team, which they are now, to a truly respectable opponent (48-53 win category) - they're going to have to learn to win more games on nights when everything isn't running on all cylinders for them.

I think they will though.  That should come with more experience.  But hopefully sooner rather than later for our sake of course.  Because if it does, then and only then, can we discuss 50 wins, winning the division, a playoff series, etc.
Author: Fall of the Boston Celtics
Available Here: http://www.clnsradio/LHRbook

EP & Host: Celtics Beat Podcast
Available here: http://apple.co/1E29sq0

« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2015, 09:53:33 AM »

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559
So far, I like this team. The C's are playing about how I thought they would. 50 wins may be a stretch, I'm thinking 44-46 range, unless there's an impactful trade. I love the defensive mind set, the steals, how they cause turnovers, it fun and a solid team foundation.

The offensive is missing a wing or two that can really score, and an athletic big that can defend and score some. RJ should develop into a real nice player, I want to see more of Mickey, and Rozier has potential.

The Nets draft picks should be held high and tight, unless a sure thing shows up. 

« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2015, 10:19:58 AM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372
Pretty much what has been expected. 

I would argue that they have been better than expected, possibly a lot better.  Yes they are roughly a .500 team right now - which is what many of us expected, but the manner in which they have won games has been very impressive.  They have had a couple bad stretches of ball and don't seem to have an answer for Paul George. 

Other than that they are showing the ability to really stomp teams when they come out with energy.  That's a big difference from years past when the games would always regress to a 4th quarter slump, the lack of offense would kill them, and they would lose a close one or barely eek out a win.

Their success is going to be very matchup driven.  They also need to bring it every night or they will lose, even to the worst teams in the league, because they don't have someone to bail them out of trouble.  The bench has been one of the best in the league up to this point and it's clear the team is very versatile and very deep.  The team doesn't have a dominant All-Star offensive talent (sorry IT but really great defensive guards can shut you down) and doesn't have a great all-round player, but they have "star talent" at different roles and we are getting near All-Star level play from Sully.