Author Topic: Sully  (Read 2842 times)

Sully
« on: November 28, 2015, 02:34:17 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
Just thought he deserved his own thread today.  He has been so remarkably consistent lately; just going out there and rebounding, playing D, scoring on the block, rebounding, and rebounding.

He looks like an old school Power Forward out there.  He seems to have really embraced his role on this team.  He's not trying to do too much.  Hasn't had any bouts of whininess or laziness, just gone out and been a real pro.

Hats off to Sully!!
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

Re: Sully
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2015, 02:37:01 PM »

Offline alldaboston

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 324
aw man, now he's jinxed...
I could very well see the Hawks... starting Taurean Prince at the 3, who is already better than Crowder, imo.

you vs. the guy she tells you not to worry about

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2015, 03:00:15 PM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448
Yeah I'm really happy with him too.  I love that he is giving effort on defense because that is where his game was lacking last year.

Otherwise he is just great on rebounding positioning and really kills other teams with his offensive positioning in particular.  There's been a few plays where he's gotten fouled by guys because they are so frustrated trying to move him (thinking in particular about Ibaka dropping him because he was so annoyed trying to move him out of the lane).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fdl2snijWDo
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2015, 03:20:16 PM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 540
I was surprised that Danny didn't move him prior to the start of the season.  But he has played great at both ends of the court, no question.  He has to play like he's playing right now to be effective - i.e. hustling his tail off to compete against bigger/longer opponents.  When he does that, he becomes a very good player.

Offensive rebounding is all about effort and he's been a terrific offensive rebounder so far this season.  D has improved dramatically - again because he's giving an effort and because he's in better condition. 

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2015, 03:24:38 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
He's played really well.  His per-minute numbers are fantastic.  If he was actually getting 36 minutes per night and averaging 16 points, 13.5 rebounds, 3.6 assists, 1.4 steals and 1.2 blocks with 46% shooting, he'd be a borderline all-star.   Those numbers have dipped a little over the past week.  I still have concerns about him long-term.  Now still feels like a good time to move him if we're planning on ever getting value for him.

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2015, 03:27:26 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Sell high.

« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2015, 03:31:39 PM »

Offline MJohnnyboy

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 269
He's played great but I worry he may become Blount 2.0 if he gets a long-term contract. I think the Celtics are going to wait until December 15th to decide what they're going to do with the roster because there are a lot of options for them once the free agents become available to trade.

« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2015, 03:33:11 PM »

Offline TheFlex

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 367
Absolute beast. Feels good to say I told [you all] so. Don't move him. Do what it takes to pair him with Labissiere.

Draft: 8 first rounders in next 5 years.

Cap space: $24 mil.

https://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague/

« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2015, 03:52:30 PM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
Sell high.
This.

Contract year. Last chance to show he can play after bombing out at the end of last season. He's played well so far but I don't think he's a long term solution. Pray he stays healthy until the trade deadline and see if you can package him for something.

« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2015, 04:06:06 PM »

Online SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
His new name ......MCS

Max Contract Sully

« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2015, 04:22:39 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
If we trade him the on court product takes a big hit.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2015, 04:29:39 PM »

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559
Correct me if I'm wrong, But Sully covers the opposing teams Center on Defense 90% of the time. Mostly because Sully is a 280 lb. wall, and difficult to move. But also because many PF's are quicker and faster that he is, at this time.

When he's on the offensive end, he's mostly covered by the opposing center. Where his versatile skills are helping him excel.

In my book Sully is now a center, an undersized stretch 5, but never the less a center. And yes he's doing a solid job of rebounding, scoring, an underrated passer, and he's scoring the ball well.

« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2015, 04:35:51 PM »

Offline LHR

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 33
  • Executive Producer & Host: Celtics Beat Podcast
I can't imagine Sully's value is any higher than say Kanter's was at this time last year.
Author: Fall of the Boston Celtics
Available Here: http://www.clnsradio/LHRbook

EP & Host: Celtics Beat Podcast
Available here: http://apple.co/1E29sq0

« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2015, 04:46:00 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Sell high.

If the offer is good enough, I'd say absolutely yes.

I don't trust Sully to maintain this level of play consistently over his next contract.   I think the likelihood his motivation will wane after securing a deal, and his conditioning and on-court effort will regress.

It's possible I could be wrong, but it's a gamble I'd rather not take if we can get legit assets for him.

« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2015, 04:49:56 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
I can't imagine Sully's value is any higher than say Kanter's was at this time last year.

I think Kanter ended up getting about ten times what he is worth.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference