Author Topic: Let's Say Philly Gets the #1 Pick  (Read 2901 times)

Re: Let's Say Philly Gets the #1 Pick
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2015, 05:21:17 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
A lot of teams will be good options for trade partners.  Green goggles say you can offer a package built around rosier, Hunter, etc.   NBA logic says they would have endless options for young SF's or guards if they decide to move a guy like okafor.  It would be guys like Jabari Parker, d'angelo Russell,  or oladipo they'd be looking at... Not pu-pu platters of late 1sts and weak prospects.   You'd have to come correct. 

And that's only if they decide to go young. I mean if you are Toronto are you turning down an offer of okafor for Derozan?  If you are the grizzlies are you turning down okafor for Mike Conley?   

Philly seriously is a dream job for a good GM.  Unlimited options.

If only winning were that easy. Regardless of talent Philly are years away from even being a .500 team.
If the active roster stayed static with what it is right now (Starting lineup of Canaan, Grant, McConnell, Noel and Okafor), I'd agree.   That lineup isn't winning games at any point in the near or distant future. 

Where I'm in the major minority here is on the idea that the current lineup is anything reflective of what their lineup will be next year or two years from now.  They are smart to be patient right now.  This summer, it will be pretty interesting to see what they do... because they can basically do whatever they want with those kind of assets (especially if they land Ben Simmons). 

« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2015, 05:34:47 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
I highly doubt any team that ends up with the #1 pick is trading it (unless the rare circumstance happens where a team ends up miraculously with a Lebron level talent and wants to make a win now move, a la Cleveland). Simmons currently looks head and shoulders above the rest.

I think a Okafor/Simmons big man pairing would be insanely good (and a good fit too). I think Simmons ends up as a PF in the NBA. This makes Noel even more expendable.

Okafor / Simmons / Saric....plus whatever they get for Noel (perhaps Marcus Smart???) would be something move forward with.

« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2015, 05:43:11 PM »

Offline flybono

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 48
Name the last Top 10 pick that was traded?.. It don't happen. It will not happen and Fu#k the 76ers..

The 76ers are exactly the definition of why the NBA game is in the toilet..

#1 Change that needs to happen in the League is, "Make all College Players" stay in School with an age 20 draft eligible rule. That would give MOST College Players 3yrs of development in College to add bulk, size and talent.
The NFL and MLB draft eligibles are 3rd year players. Grant it, it takes several years of development in MLB, in the NFL you can find starting Players in most rounds..

#2 Get rid of this Fu#cked up pin ball Draft. Cap the number of #1 thru 5 overall picks you can obtain in a 3 year window to make these dreadful Teams begin building a program instead of Tanking it every year....

« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2015, 05:54:35 PM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
Name the last Top 10 pick that was traded?.. It don't happen. It will not happen and Fu#k the 76ers..

The 10th overall pick was traded in 2014, and the #6 and #9 were traded in 2013

#1 Change that needs to happen in the League is, "Make all College Players" stay in School with an age 20 draft eligible rule. That would give MOST College Players 3yrs of development in College to add bulk, size and talent.
The NFL and MLB draft eligibles are 3rd year players. Grant it, it takes several years of development in MLB, in the NFL you can find starting Players in most rounds..

The MLB draft allows drafting highschool players...

#2 Get rid of this Fu#cked up pin ball Draft. Cap the number of #1 thru 5 overall picks you can obtain in a 3 year window to make these dreadful Teams begin building a program instead of Tanking it every year....

Keep the lottery, but put a cap like that in place.  There's no way the Cavs should have gotten all those #1 picks
I'm bitter.

« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2015, 06:28:20 PM »

Offline flybono

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 48

The 10th overall pick was traded in 2014, and the #6 and #9 were traded in 2013

The MLB draft allows drafting highschool players...

Keep the lottery, but put a cap like that in place.  There's no way the Cavs should have gotten all those #1 picks

Yes, your right about the MLB.  At least High Schoolers in that Sport have many years of Development that helps them Progress in MLB. The NBA doesn't. The D-League is a joke. The College game (basketball) is the place to work on your craft. Its a shame really, take a Player like JYoung. He not only hurt himself by coming out early but the Team that took a gamble on him as well..

« Reply #20 on: November 28, 2015, 08:52:12 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 742
They've already got Okafor, Noel, and Embiid on the back burner. Saric will be coming over and he's a SF/PF. Ben Simmons is looking like a lock for the #1 and he's a PF who some can be a SF but his jumper has really materialized yet so that may be out.

Philly is going to be desperate for guards and quick wings. Is it possible that, if Philly gets the #1, they'd be in the market to either trade back a few slots or open up a place in the lineup for Simmons and/or Saric be trading one of their centers?

The Celtics, I would think, would be a good option for a trade partner.

They will not trade the pick down...that goes completely against everything Hinke has worked so hard for.
Not really. He's worked toward assett collection and the pursuit of a superstar. If you mean to say that Simmons is the only superstar in the draft, then I agree, trading away that pick would go against what he's been working toward. But if he thinks Ingram or Skal or someone else has superstar potential, he'd be getting more assetts while still chasing that superstar, which is in line with what he's been doing all along.

That said, I think it's way more likely that the Sixers would take Simmons and look to move the least talented/worst fit of the Noel/Okafor/Embiid trio.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #21 on: November 28, 2015, 10:50:32 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1763
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
If Embiid shows that he is healthy and productive, then Philly will need to make some changes. Right now, it looks like Okafor is their center moving forward. I just wish they would trade Noel and eventually Embiid so that their roster would make some sense. It makes me uncomfortable knowing they have all of these pieces that don't fit together at all.

As for Simmons, they keep him and vastly upgrade their backcourt with trades. Would we really see no to a Smart for Noel swap?