Author Topic: Let's Say Philly Gets the #1 Pick  (Read 2887 times)

Let's Say Philly Gets the #1 Pick
« on: November 27, 2015, 08:52:27 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741
They've already got Okafor, Noel, and Embiid on the back burner. Saric will be coming over and he's a SF/PF. Ben Simmons is looking like a lock for the #1 and he's a PF who some can be a SF but his jumper has really materialized yet so that may be out.

Philly is going to be desperate for guards and quick wings. Is it possible that, if Philly gets the #1, they'd be in the market to either trade back a few slots or open up a place in the lineup for Simmons and/or Saric be trading one of their centers?

The Celtics, I would think, would be a good option for a trade partner.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

Re: Let's Say Philly Gets the #1 Pick
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2015, 09:13:15 PM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 617
Simmons is more like a (huge) point forward - Saric will be pegged as a backup/off the ball type . Philly will definitely take him. They will be trading one or two of their bigs for highish pick I would think.
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2015, 09:18:26 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
A lot of teams will be good options for trade partners.  Green goggles say you can offer a package built around rosier, Hunter, etc.   NBA logic says they would have endless options for young SF's or guards if they decide to move a guy like okafor.  It would be guys like Jabari Parker, d'angelo Russell,  or oladipo they'd be looking at... Not pu-pu platters of late 1sts and weak prospects.   You'd have to come correct. 

And that's only if they decide to go young. I mean if you are Toronto are you turning down an offer of okafor for Derozan?  If you are the grizzlies are you turning down okafor for Mike Conley?   

Philly seriously is a dream job for a good GM.  Unlimited options.

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2015, 10:16:34 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
I think they draft BPA and only trade down if they think they are getting good value.  If the Sixers are #1 and the Nets pick is #3, I think they ask for a future unprotected Nets pick and another first to move down two spots.  They might ask for more, but a future Nets first is probably part of the package they demand.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2015, 10:42:15 PM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
Will Saric be free to sign this summer?  He (or is dad) is not feeling Philly, so could the Sixers sign him with the intent to trade him (after one month?).

He might make a good starting SF for the Celts.  I'm sure his dad would approve of the Green..

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2015, 10:43:24 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136

Let's say I puke in my mouth.

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2015, 10:58:31 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
Let's

Don't

« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2015, 10:59:52 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549
Right now, Simmons is the clear #1.  He also appears to be the most NBA ready of the top picks.  I can't see any way the Sixers will pass on him.   The Sixers potentially have 3 other 1sts to address the guard positions.  Unless they get a really good offer for someone, I don't see them trading any of their young players before they've had a chance to evaluate them next season. 

« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2015, 11:24:14 PM »

Offline KeepRondo

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 215
They've already got Okafor, Noel, and Embiid on the back burner. Saric will be coming over and he's a SF/PF. Ben Simmons is looking like a lock for the #1 and he's a PF who some can be a SF but his jumper has really materialized yet so that may be out.

Philly is going to be desperate for guards and quick wings. Is it possible that, if Philly gets the #1, they'd be in the market to either trade back a few slots or open up a place in the lineup for Simmons and/or Saric be trading one of their centers?

I would trade Smart and the third pick for Simmons.

« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2015, 02:27:19 AM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501
A lot of teams will be good options for trade partners.  Green goggles say you can offer a package built around rosier, Hunter, etc.   NBA logic says they would have endless options for young SF's or guards if they decide to move a guy like okafor.  It would be guys like Jabari Parker, d'angelo Russell,  or oladipo they'd be looking at... Not pu-pu platters of late 1sts and weak prospects.   You'd have to come correct. 

And that's only if they decide to go young. I mean if you are Toronto are you turning down an offer of okafor for Derozan?  If you are the grizzlies are you turning down okafor for Mike Conley?   

Why would they need another GM, when they have the man who built this future dynasty?
« Last Edit: November 28, 2015, 02:34:49 AM by colincb »

« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2015, 02:39:58 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
Nah they will take Simmons over everything else.
They want as many cornerstone potential level players they can get, so they'll take Simmons, and then if they decide they have their favorite big men, they'll look at options to move one of Noel/Embid for a guard.

So if the Celtics are going to get someone from Philly, it's going to be Noel or Embid- likely Noel.
Not sure who they'd want back but it would be a lot.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2015, 03:00:05 AM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906
I think the more interesting question would be what happens if we get #1 and they get #2 or #3. If they're high on Simmons, does Danny say, "Okay, give me Noel and #2 and I'll give you Rozier and #1." In that scenario, we could pick up Noel AND Brown/Ingram to add to our core, which essentially fills our two biggest holes.

If you were Danny, would you do that deal?

« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2015, 03:29:17 AM »

Offline CelticSooner

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 866
  • GOT IT!!!

If only winning were that easy. Regardless of talent Philly are years away from even being a .500 team.

« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2015, 10:47:37 AM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372

They will not trade the pick down...that goes completely against everything Hinke has worked so hard for.

« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2015, 11:17:56 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885

They will not trade the pick down...that goes completely against everything Hinke has worked so hard for.

Exactly.