Author Topic: Isaiah Thomas' Defense is Better than You Think  (Read 12785 times)

Re: Isaiah Thomas' Defense is Better than You Think
« Reply #60 on: August 14, 2017, 04:29:38 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
First of all, about Crowder: he has the speed to cover most "shooting guards" - and has his whole career.  For the last couple of seasons, Stevens has taken advantage of his strength to play him at swing in small lineups to get his man out of the paint; but he's a versatile defender who can guard 2-4.
I don't know where you're getting this notion, but it has no basis in reality. When Jae Crowder was traded to the Celtics, he came with the question, "Is he really just an undersized PF who has no NBA position" attached to his back.

His player file at 82games.com very clearly demonstrates this: he split time between SF and PF in his rookie year, then played mostly SF as a sophomore. It was pretty much more of the same with the Celtics.

http://www.82games.com/1213/12DAL15.HTM
http://www.82games.com/1314/13DAL9.HTM

http://www.82games.com/1516/15BOS8.HTM
http://www.82games.com/1617/16BOS9.HTM

Jae Crowder is not a SG. Never was, never will be.

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #61 on: August 14, 2017, 04:31:13 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
Your "quick wing" is Crowder. He isn't handling any guards, let alone star PGs. That's why having Bradley was important.
It's Brown/Hayward
At least one of these two must and will play SG. And unfortunately, I'm afraid they might go with the idea that Hayward is their starting SG which may bomb spectacularly on defense. Of the lot that will split time at SG/SF, I'm only confident in Brown's ability to stay with scoring PGs... and unfortunately he's also the least experienced of the three...
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #62 on: August 14, 2017, 06:01:56 PM »

Offline playdream

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 88
Your "quick wing" is Crowder. He isn't handling any guards, let alone star PGs. That's why having Bradley was important.
It's Brown/Hayward
At least one of these two must and will play SG. And unfortunately, I'm afraid they might go with the idea that Hayward is their starting SG which may bomb spectacularly on defense. Of the lot that will split time at SG/SF, I'm only confident in Brown's ability to stay with scoring PGs... and unfortunately he's also the least experienced of the three...
well you can't be perfect, i will take that

« Reply #63 on: August 14, 2017, 08:09:27 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
First of all, about Crowder: he has the speed to cover most "shooting guards" - and has his whole career.  For the last couple of seasons, Stevens has taken advantage of his strength to play him at swing in small lineups to get his man out of the paint; but he's a versatile defender who can guard 2-4.

He doesn't even have the speed to guard LeBron James let alone guards.   This last series he really did not contain him or slow him down.   Now I know few do, but folks actually thought Crowder could.

IT will always be a defensive liability to some extent.  Stevens would sub him out at times on offense defense in the past.   You do not do that to guys who can defend.   He can be posted up and he does not have the length to affect everyone's shot.   He plays with incredible heart and is a joy to watch, I am a fan of his play.  Even so I question whether he is a playoff basketball player sometimes.

« Reply #64 on: August 14, 2017, 08:20:36 PM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031

He doesn't even have the speed to guard LeBron James let alone guards.   This last series he really did not contain him or slow him down.   Now I know few do, but folks actually thought Crowder could.

IT will always be a defensive liability to some extent.  Stevens would sub him out at times on offense defense in the past.   You do not do that to guys who can defend.   He can be posted up and he does not have the length to affect everyone's shot.   He plays with incredible heart and is a joy to watch, I am a fan of his play.  Even so I question whether he is a playoff basketball player sometimes.

LeBron is faster than most twos. Not sure that proves your point.

I like how we have Crowder, Morris, Hayward, and Brown to throw at him now. Someone will slow him down.
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #65 on: August 14, 2017, 08:21:31 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842

I like how we have Crowder, Morris, Hayward, and Brown to throw at him now. Someone will slow him down.
I think the key is that he will have to try on defense this year.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #66 on: August 14, 2017, 09:12:18 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
i fear he is actually worse than I think.

« Reply #67 on: August 14, 2017, 09:15:37 PM »

Offline loco_91

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 145
IT is bad on D, but I'd rather have a very bad defensive PG than a sort-of-bad defensive center. I can't name a starting PG who is worse on D than IT, but many wings and bigs have a more detrimental effect on their team's defensive scheme. The C's are stocked with heads-up defensive players who can make clean rotations, which substantially mitigates IT's deficiencies.

« Reply #68 on: August 15, 2017, 05:02:02 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I think the key is that he will have to try on defense this year.

Don't get me wrong, I hope he succeeds.  I just have my doubts.

« Reply #69 on: August 16, 2017, 10:36:00 AM »

Offline ThePaintedArea

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 111
I don't know where you're getting this notion, but it has no basis in reality. When Jae Crowder was traded to the Celtics, he came with the question, "Is he really just an undersized PF who has no NBA position" attached to his back.

His player file at 82games.com very clearly demonstrates this: he split time between SF and PF in his rookie year, then played mostly SF as a sophomore. It was pretty much more of the same with the Celtics.

http://www.82games.com/1213/12DAL15.HTM
http://www.82games.com/1314/13DAL9.HTM

http://www.82games.com/1516/15BOS8.HTM
http://www.82games.com/1617/16BOS9.HTM

Jae Crowder is not a SG. Never was, never will be.

He might not "be" a shooting guard (I didn't say he was) - but he guards them, frequently. Those data from 82games are great and valuable, but they don't answer this question.

Yes, Brad put him on Carmelo, Iguodala, and Hayward; but he also put him on McCaw and Hood, even on Tyler Johnson, and most prominently Harden (shared duty with brother Marcus to give Harden "different looks", as the old expression goes), and Jimmy Butler.

Crowder is a wing. He's had a prominent role as a "small ball 4", to use the old term, but he's less effective guarding larger players - so that role will likely diminish this season.

« Reply #70 on: August 16, 2017, 10:39:25 AM »

Offline ThePaintedArea

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 111

It might be premature to say so, but Semi is a good bet to be the Celtics' best LeBron defender.

« Reply #71 on: August 16, 2017, 11:27:48 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
He might not "be" a shooting guard (I didn't say he was) - but he guards them, frequently. Those data from 82games are great and valuable, but they don't answer this question.
Not sure what you define as "with regularity". I've never seen him matched up with SG except during some oddball switch. I'm guessing you're referring to fairly short stretches of time. But then again, we've had Rondo on LeBron for shorts stretches of time. I still maintain Crowder can't be counted on to play and/or guard SGs with regularity.

« Reply #72 on: August 16, 2017, 12:03:32 PM »

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559
Crowder is very capable of defending all but the quickest shooting guards in the NBA. No, it's not ideal, but  he moves his feet well, and will have a size advantage most nights. Hayward can then defend the small forward.

The best defensive team the C's will put on the floor, while still using IT at the point, involves Smart at the SG position. And yes at times he will struggle to score, but with Hayward and IT also on the floor, he'll be left to do what he does best, facilitate, agitate, and defend.

Anytime IT is on the floor the opposition has a path to score, you hope he plays well enough on the other end to off set it.

« Reply #73 on: August 16, 2017, 12:47:47 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
Crowder is very capable of defending all but the quickest shooting guards in the NBA. No, it's not ideal, but  he moves his feet well, and will have a size advantage most nights. Hayward can then defend the small forward.
I've seen him beaten off the dribble more times than I could count last season. Also, he's 6'6 in shoes, so his size advantage would not be all that great -- except against the 6'3 breed of SGs that will run circles around him.

« Reply #74 on: August 16, 2017, 01:10:55 PM »

Offline tstorey_97

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 586
IT has been subbed out on defense by coach Stevens at the end of games with regularity since he arrived in Boston. This is all you need to know.

IT won a bunch of games last year for the Celtics because he is one of the best offensive players in the league.

Why is it a problem that IT has a weakness?

He is such an effective player on offense that Stevens adjusts the entire team on both ends of the court to make it work. We watched the "Boston IT Celtics" all year last year. The guy is the team. Just what the he*& else do you want?

You want to blow out a cray supercomputer full of NBA stats trying to make his weakness into a strength?

The coach substitutes for him on defense at the end of games.  Having Smart or Brown take your place at the end of a game on defense only is nothing to be ashamed of.

Red Auerbach smoked too much.
Havlicek never started games.
KC Jones averaged 7.8 ppg
Perkins couldn't hit a shot.
Tommy is the worst homer to have ever lived.

The guys above had weaknesses and more than 45 rings between them.

Thomas' play speaks for itself.