Author Topic: SF draft choice: If not Simmons, I like Justin Jackson  (Read 3424 times)

SF draft choice: If not Simmons, I like Justin Jackson
« on: November 27, 2015, 09:46:15 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Check out his stats below so far this season.  His weakness last season was weak rebounding numbers for a sf(needs to add more strength). Numbers look much better so far (has had a 13 reb performance recently).

The bio on JJ

6'8" to 6'9" with 6'10" to 6'11" wingspan.  Very good size for a sf.   Has a body similar to Tashyaun Prince.  Quick and is
A good athlete.  High IQ player , with very good court vision.  Slippery around screens with a reliable running floater. Solid Jump shot.     Plays hard on both ends .  good leadership skills.   

Weakness: mainly needing to keep adding strength.  With this will rebound and able to finish around the rim better. 

Why over Brown- Brown is a terrific athlete that likes to attack the basket. He gets too happy attacking the basket.  Jump shot, ability to identify the open man needs work.  Also though listed at 6'7, looks more like is 6'5.

Why over Ingram-  Ingram is a talent but is not very strong right now (rail thin) nor quick.  Has a body and moves like Bruno Cabolco, but has more skills. The question is, what position does he play in the future?   Who can he defend due to lack of quickness/strength?   If there was no questions about his body/physical tools would challenge Simmons for the number 1 spot. 

I think Jackson would be a solid fit under CBS.  He also has the skills and desire to score (go off and score 25-30 points) but won't force the issue and find open teammates on the court.

http://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/justin-jackson-4/gamelog/2016/

NBA draft highlights
http://youtu.be/ScqzPwsknn8

Re: SF draft choice: If not Simmons, I like Justin Jackson
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2015, 10:08:18 AM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549
Check out his stats below so far this season.  His weakness last season was weak rebounding numbers for a sf(needs to add more strength). Numbers look much better so far (has had a 13 reb performance recently).

The bio on JJ

6'8" to 6'9" with 6'10" to 6'11" wingspan.  Very good size for a sf.   Has a body similar to Tashyaun Prince.  Quick and is
A good athlete.  High IQ player , with very good court vision.  Slippery around screens with a reliable running floater. Solid Jump shot.     Plays hard on both ends .  good leadership skills.   

Weakness: mainly needing to keep adding strength.  With this will rebound and able to finish around the rim better. 

Why over Brown- Brown is a terrific athlete that likes to attack the basket. He gets too happy attacking the basket.  Jump shot, ability to identify the open man needs work.  Also though listed at 6'7, looks more like is 6'5.

Why over Ingram-  Ingram is a talent but is not very strong right now (rail thin) nor quick.  Has a body and moves like Bruno Cabolco, but has more skills. The question is, what position does he play in the future?   Who can he defend due to lack of quickness/strength?   If there was no questions about his body/physical tools would challenge Simmons for the number 1 spot. 

I think Jackson would be a solid fit under CBS.  He also has the skills and desire to score (go off and score 25-30 points) but won't force the issue and find open teammates on the court.

NBA draft highlights
Ingram doesn't lack quickness.  He certainly does need to put on more weight and get stronger.  It significantly impacts both his offense and defense right now.  However he's already put on 25lbs this year and I expect him to continue to do so.     

Regarding Jackson, were you proposing using the Nets pick for him?  That seems quite high. 

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2015, 10:13:26 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

The bio on JJ

NBA draft highlights
Ingram doesn't lack quickness.  He certainly does need to put on more weight and get stronger.  It significantly impacts both his offense and defense right now.  However he's already put on 25lbs this year and I expect him to continue to do so.     

Regarding Jackson, were you proposing using the Nets pick for him?  That seems quite high.

Ingram is not as quick as Simmons, Jackson nor brown.  Not as slow as James Young. Somewhere in between. Then the question is , can he defend quicker players as a sf? 

Without strength, can he defend pfs?

Will he be injury prone?

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2015, 10:29:13 AM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
Weird that you suggest taking him over Ingram and mention the latter being "thin" as a reason. Jackson weighs 200 lb, at just over 6-8 w/ shoes, as measured at the Nike camp this summer. Jackson will also be 21 in March, so it kind of puts a cap on his upside. Currently DExpress has him going 24th, and for what it's worth I like Nigel Hayes more than Jackson.

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2015, 11:05:21 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
Weird that you suggest taking him over Ingram and mention the latter being "thin" as a reason. Jackson weighs 200 lb, at just over 6-8 w/ shoes, as measured at the Nike camp this summer. Jackson will also be 21 in March, so it kind of puts a cap on his upside. Currently DExpress has him going 24th, and for what it's worth I like Nigel Hayes more than Jackson.

DE will change their position

Hayes is the next Bass.  Weak to below avg perimeter skills.

A little too small to be a PF.

Good strength and length.  Good worker

We need a skilled starting calibre sf. Like Jackson imo

And he fits into CBS with his high IQ and work ethic

He looks stronger than last season. A good sign he can keep adding weight

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2015, 11:16:44 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
Not so knowledgeable on NCAA basketball and I have only seen highlights on Ingram but it looked to me that Ingram's defensive problems were more about bad defensive fundamentals than a lack of quickness. He has a bad high defensive stance, terrible positioning off the ball and is bad at closing out on shooters. Giving offensive players the upper hand before they even make their move. I think a lot of that can be cured with coaching and hard work ... and that with that, Ingram will be a plus defender at the SF position at the NBA level.

I was impressed with his quickness / explosiveness for his size on offense. Especially off the dribble. Much better than say someone like Rashard Lewis (similar size SF/PF, scorer). I was really impressed with the dexterity of Ingram's movements while handling the ball. Rare for a guy his size. Very promising aspect to his profile / skill-set.

Improving his strength is important for Ingram. He should at least become solid enough for SF position. PF position more of a question mark but a possibility.

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2015, 11:27:33 AM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson

In 2013, Jackson weighed in at 200lbs at team USA, so he hasn't gained a pound in 2 years.

Hayes is 6-8/240 with a 7-3 1/2 wingspan. I see him as a Deng type. He looks like he's improved his ballhandling as he's averaging 4.2 APG this year. Much better range than you suggest, as he shot 39.6 % from 3's on a good sample size (2.5 attempts a game).

« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2015, 12:48:55 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

In 2013, Jackson weighed in at 200lbs at team USA, so he hasn't gained a pound in 2 years.

Hayes is 6-8/240 with a 7-3 1/2 wingspan. I see him as a Deng type. He looks like he's improved his ballhandling as he's averaging 4.2 APG this year. Much better range than you suggest, as he shot 39.6 % from 3's on a good sample size (2.5 attempts a game).

Hayes cant create his own shot . he has some go to moves/power the basket in while posting up

In other big chunk of the game is "crowder"ing on the offensive end.

Jackson is lethal.  Very few sf (even the nba) can identify when to run around a screen, do it quickly and in one motion launch a shot away. How many sfs do you know also that knows how to utilize the floater from the ft line

Jackson has improved his strength this season . a sign he can keep improving .  he is already quick

« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2015, 01:07:44 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson

Hayes cant create his own shot . he has some go to moves/power the basket in while posting up

In other big chunk of the game is "crowder"ing on the offensive end.

Jackson is lethal.  Very few sf (even the nba) can identify when to run around a screen, do it quickly and in one motion launch a shot away. How many sfs do you know also that knows how to utilize the floater from the ft line

Jackson has improved his strength this season . a sign he can keep improving .  he is already quick

You forgot to mention that Jackson has no range and can't even hit college 3's (26.1% this year / 30.4% career). That's a major issue when thinking of our team makeup and offensive scheme.

« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2015, 01:32:11 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
Pedigree.
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2015, 04:58:00 PM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549

The bio on JJ

NBA draft highlights

Ingram is not as quick as Simmons, Jackson nor brown.  Not as slow as James Young. Somewhere in between. Then the question is , can he defend quicker players as a sf? 

Without strength, can he defend pfs?

Will he be injury prone?
I think Ingram is plenty quick enough to defend SFs.  Ingram has already put on 25lbs.  He's going to put on more weight/strength at Duke and even more so when he gets to the NBA.  Strength and conditioning are pretty easy to improve assuming the players works at it.  Why do you ask about Ingram being injury prone?  Does he have a history of injuries?  If not, I don't see why that would be a concern. 

If you're suggesting taking Lab over Ingram with the Nets picks and then taking Jackson with a later pick, that could be a reasonable approach.  If you're suggesting taking Jackson over Ingram straight up, I can't see doing that at all.  Our draft picks, especially the Nets pick, need to be the best player available with focus on upside. 

« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2015, 03:36:58 PM »

Offline jr_3421

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 81
I'm assuming drafting Justin Jackson would be with our pick, not the Brooklyn pick. Either way, count me in the Nigel Hayes camp over Jackson. I see Hayes as a more productive player than Jerekbo. He provides the hustle and versatility but with more quickness and offensive potential. I love him as a back up PF.
"In the 4th quarter I'm whole different player"

-Paul Pierce

« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2015, 03:44:53 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
How good of a shooter is Jackson? Are his mechanics good? If we are going to upgrade at the 3 we need to draft a player with the potential to defend at a high level and shoot better than Jae Crowder from 3, that or be able to create offense for themselves.

I wouldn't compare Hayes to Jackson, because Hayes is going to be a 4 in the NBA while Jackson will be a 3.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2015, 04:17:35 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
How good of a shooter is Jackson? Are his mechanics good? If we are going to upgrade at the 3 we need to draft a player with the potential to defend at a high level and shoot better than Jae Crowder from 3, that or be able to create offense for themselves.

I wouldn't compare Hayes to Jackson, because Hayes is going to be a 4 in the NBA while Jackson will be a 3.

Exactly Hayes is like a bass in the NBA. Cross between bass and that 9th pick, now with the blazers

Jackson is an upgrade over Crowder and Turner at the SF spot imo.  He is 2nd coming of Tashayun Prince.  Lots of similiraties. Better looking shooting stroke. Both have high IQ, high motor, size/length as a sf

« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2015, 04:27:05 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft

Exactly Hayes is like a bass in the NBA. Cross between bass and that 9th pick, now with the blazers

Jackson is an upgrade over Crowder and Turner at the SF spot imo.  He is 2nd coming of Tashayun Prince.  Lots of similiraties. Better looking shooting stroke. Both have high IQ, high motor, size/length as a sf
I'll have to look into Jackson.

I think Hayes is going to be a much better professional player than Bass. He's the perfect stretch 4 for the modern NBA, very similar proportions to Draymond.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19