Author Topic: The Rondo Trade Exception  (Read 1252 times)

The Rondo Trade Exception
« on: November 27, 2015, 09:01:03 AM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 618
As far I understand, the C's still have it (12.9million) until 18th of December this year, and can sign anyone without sending any salary back.

Curious to hear any comments about how C's could make use of that if they are well above 500 by late December. They will probably let it expire, given how CBS operates: his not wanting to introduce a newby into his system so late...

I remember someone commenting that they like Trevor Ariza on here. He is making about 7mill this year, but is under contract for two more..does anyone know if the trade exception is for the entire committed salary, or just for the current year's cap hit for that incoming player?

"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

Re: The Rondo Trade Exception
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2015, 09:08:50 AM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737
does anyone know if the trade exception is for the entire committed salary, or just for the current year's cap hit for that incoming player?
It's just for the current year's cap hit.

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2015, 09:12:51 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
I think it's more likely to be used to absorb salary for a future pick of some kind.
Not sure who would be likely candidates right now to work out a trade with, but that's the most likely scenario to me.

ps. Ariza would be amazing, but at $7 million a year he's a better bargain than Isaiah Thomas and they'd never give him up without getting back a bounty in return.
He's really had a career resurrection in Houston. Such a great two way player.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2015, 09:18:55 AM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
Yeah, I guess he is a bargain contract now and they would want picks or projects with high ceilings; besides if they implode, moving Dwight or Harden will be their priority.

Also, I don't really think the C's need any more picks, but sure a '17 first so someone can dump salary in order to make a trade for a playoff push, should do it. Really all depends on the third team in that instance..

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2015, 09:24:04 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
Yeah, I guess he is a bargain contract now and they would want picks or projects with high ceilings; besides if they implode, moving Dwight or Harden will be their priority.

Yeah I think they'll keep him until end of contract given how cheap he is.

They will pretty much never trade Harden. Top 5/10 player in his prime and young age, no injury history.
Like the Kings, they'd go through 10 coaches before trading Harden out of that locker room, and they'd keep rotating guys around Harden to find the perfect fit before trading him.

Unless he demands to be traded he's staying a Rocket until the end of his current deal at a minimum.

Dwight could possibly go in free agency though. They are really hating that they couldn't get Chris Bosh right now.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2015, 09:40:30 AM »

Offline Denis998

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 388
  • Rutgers '17
I don't think we have any trade exceptions anymore. Once we went under the cap this off season they all expired i believe

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2015, 09:42:16 AM »

Offline otherdave

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 124
  • takes.....MAKES!!!!
As far I understand, the C's still have it (12.9million) until 18th of December this year, and can sign anyone without sending any salary back.

/quote]

C's had to renounce all trade exceptions this summer in order to exceed the salary cap.

« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2015, 09:47:48 AM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
Ah yes, you are right.. they did renounce. Actually I think they renounced because a TE counts as a cap hold. So they did it to stay UNDER the cap.

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/celtics/post/_/id/4719807/creative-celtics

Thanks for helping clear that up.

« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2015, 09:54:30 AM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 551

Curious to hear any comments about how C's could make use of that if they are well above 500 by late December. They will probably let it expire, given how CBS operates: his not wanting to introduce a newby into his system so late...

I remember someone commenting that they like Trevor Ariza on here. He is making about 7mill this year, but is under contract for two more..does anyone know if the trade exception is for the entire committed salary, or just for the current year's cap hit for that incoming player?
Actually, we don't have the Rondo Trade exception.  Trade exceptions count as salary.  In order to make the offseason signings (e.g. Amir) that took us above the cap, the trade exception had to be relinquished. 

« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2015, 03:48:01 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
As everyone said, I'm pretty sure our TE has vanished/expired due to our renouncing. It would've been a nice asset, but oh well.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different