Author Topic: Wizards (6-6) at Celtics (8-7) Game #16 11/27/15  (Read 34991 times)

Wizards (6-6) at Celtics (8-7) Game #16 11/27/15
« on: November 26, 2015, 09:46:43 PM »

Offline FLCeltsFan

• Kendrick Perkins #1 Fan
  • Author
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 11820
  • Marcus Smart Fan!
  at 
Washington Wizards (6-6) at Boston Celtics (8-7)
Friday, November 27, 2015
7:30 PM ET
Regular Season Game #16 Home Game #10
TV: CSN-NE, Comcast Sportsnet,NBA-LP 755(DTV) /753(xfinity)
Radio: 98.5 The Sports Hub, WNEW 99.1 FM
TD Garden

Probable Starters

PG: Isaiah Thomas
SG: Avery Bradley
SF: Jae Crowder
PF: Amir Johnson
C:  Jared Sullinger

Celtics Reserves

Evan Turner
RJ Hunter
Jonas Jerebko
David Lee
Terry Rozier
James Young
Kelly Olynyk
Jordan Mickey
Tyler Zeller

Head Coach
Brad Stevens

Injuries
Marcus Smart (leg) out

Probable Starters 

PG: John Wall
SG: Bradley Beal
SF: Otto Porter
PF:  Kris Humphries
C: Marcin Gortat

Wizards Reserves
DeJuan Blair
Jared Dudley
Gary Neal
Drew Gooden
Nene
Kelly Oubre
Ramon Sessions
Garrett Temple

Head Coach
Randy Wittman

Injuries

Alan Anderson (ankle) out
Martell Webster (hip) out

Game Notes
This is the second of 4 meetings this season between these two teams.  The Celtics won the first game on November 6  118-98.  They will play two more games in Washington in January.  The Wizards won the series last season 2-1. 

The Celtics had lost 3 of 4 before just barely squeaking past the winless Philadelphia 76ers.  The Wizards have lost their last 2 games with the latest  being a 101-87 loss to the Charlotte Hornets on Wednesday.  They held a 9 point lead with less than 9 minutes to go in the game and then missed their final 17 shots on the way to a 6 point fourth quarter. 

Both teams have been inconsistent this season.  The Celtics will blow out the Nets one night and then be blown out by them two nights later.  The Wizards will give up 96.5 points in their wins but then give up 116.3 points in their losses.   Both teams are searching for consistency.  Youth could be the Celtics excuse but I'm not sure what the Wizards excuse is. 

Key Matchups
vs 
Isaiah Thomas vs John Wall
This will be a tough matchup for the Celtics without Marcus Smart.   Wall is averaging 16.5 points, 3.5 rebounds and 7.9 assists.   The Celtics need Isaiah's offense, but he is going to struggle to keep Wall from having a big game.

vs
Avery Bradley vs Bradley Beal
Beal is averaging 20.0 points, 4.3 rebounds, and 2.3 assists.  He is shooting 42.3% from beyond the arc.  Avery will have his hands full defending Beal and won't be able to switch onto Wall if Isaiah struggles to defend him. 

Keys to the Game
Play Strong for 48 Minutes - In some games the Celtics start strong but then struggle to make shots and turn the ball over allowing the other team to get a lead.  In other games they struggle out of the gate and then spend the rest of the game trying to catch up.  They need to give a consistent effort for the entire game. 

Unleash the Offense
- Somebody,  anybody, will need to get hot.  The Celtics have struggled to score in each of their losses.  They have missed many shots they should have made.  They shoot 58% against the Nets and then shoot 34% against the winless Sixers.  It would be nice for them to get the offense back on track and start hitting shots consistently.   

Defense - The Celtics need to continue to make defense a priority.   Defense wins games.  The Celtics allowed just 80 points to the Sixers but mostly because the Sixers couldn't hit their shots and not because the Celtics were playing great defense before the final 6 minutes.  Before that game, they allowed 121 points to the Hawks and 111 to the Brooklyn Nets.  They have to get back to playing team defense. 

Take Care of the Ball -  The Celtics are averaging 16.4 turnovers per game, which is too many.  They have to focus and make sharper passes and not give the Wizards extra possessions by turning it over. 

Be Aggressive - The Celtics need to be the more aggressive team from start to finish.  They need to be aggressive in going to the hoop, in crashing the boards, in fighting for loose balls and in running the court.  They also have to be more aggressive on defense.  They have to be the team that wants it more. 

X-Factors
Pride - The Celtics lost to the Nets and the Hawks and came close to being the first team to lose to the Sixers in 26 straight games.   They need to dig down and get back to playing Celtics basketball, especially on the defensive end. 

Officiating -  The officiating is always an x-factor.  Even when they call the game evenly, the Celtics do better when they let them play rather than try to micromanage the game.  And of course, there are always the cases where the calls all go one way or the other.   The officiating shouldn't matter, but it does. 

Re: Wizards (6-6) at Celtics (8-7) Game #16 11/27/15
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2015, 09:53:53 PM »

Offline danglertx

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 210
Hey I think I'm first for once.

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2015, 09:57:52 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
I'll take second.
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2015, 10:13:23 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!! i'm only third!  :'(  :'(  :'(

nonetheless, a tp to flc for a fabulous thread. and i can tell by the shopping bags what flc plans to do this weekend. hee, hee.  ;)

celtics win again! goooooo celtics!  ;D
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2015, 10:21:29 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2237
waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!! i'm only third!  :'(  :'(  :'(

nonetheless, a tp to flc for a fabulous thread. and i can tell by the shopping bags what flc plans to do this weekend. hee, hee.  ;)

celtics win again! goooooo celtics!  ;D

I echo your sentiments,hwangjini!

TP FLCelts. On this day of giving thanks, thank you for the work you do!

Wish IT was coming off the bench. Wall could eat him up. Need Bradley on Wall and ET on Beal.

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2015, 10:26:46 PM »

Offline FLCeltsFan

• Author
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Marcus Smart Fan!
TP to danglertx for being the first to post in the game thread!

Go Celtics!

And a Happy Thanksgiving to all! 

« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2015, 10:30:12 PM »

Offline FLCeltsFan

• Author
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Marcus Smart Fan!
And a TP to hwangjini_1 and to csfansince60s  for always being so encouraging and uplifting!   I'm thankful for both of you!!

« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2015, 01:51:59 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2904
Does IT start tonight against Wall, even when he gives up 7 inches to him in height? That seems like a recipe for disaster.

« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2015, 02:39:51 PM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962
TP, FL.
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale

« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2015, 02:41:53 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2951
There are so many great guards int the league ......now Wall and Beal to deal with ....ugh

Not having Marcus is brutal .

But I still have his Jersey to wear ......it good luck  :)

This is going to be Loooooooonnnnnnggg month wait ....... :'(

« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2015, 02:43:44 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2951
Does IT start tonight against Wall, even when he gives up 7 inches to him in height? That seems like a recipe for disaster.
Not much we can do.......no Smart ........buy him elevator shoes's  ;D

« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2015, 03:59:53 PM »

Offline danglertx

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 210
TP to danglertx for being the first to post in the game thread!

Go Celtics!

And a Happy Thanksgiving to all!

My first time ever... I feel like I really won something.  Feels pretty good.

« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2015, 05:06:26 PM »

Offline FLCeltsFan

• Author
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Marcus Smart Fan!

I know that Brad Stevens mentioned possible changes if they didn't snap out of their poor play.  I'd think that he'd have to consider starting Turner and bringing IT off the bench.  The only other choice would be Rozier and I'm not sure he's ready for that kind of pressure yet. 

« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2015, 05:17:10 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
This could be a good game to get RJ Hunter some minutes at SF. Washington do not have a lot of offense from that position. Should be easier to field a weaker defender. A more offensive minded player than Crowder. Allow Turner to play backup guard role behind Isaiah and Bradley. RJH backup the SF spot instead of Jerebko who has been struggling.

« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2015, 05:24:01 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."

I know that Brad Stevens mentioned possible changes if they didn't snap out of their poor play.  I'd think that he'd have to consider starting Turner and bringing IT off the bench. The only other choice would be Rozier and I'm not sure he's ready for that kind of pressure yet.
Yes, or at least have IT on a short leash, and make the switch to Turner if necessary.