Author Topic: Okafor punches Boston fan  (Read 12416 times)

Re: Okafor punches Boston fan
« Reply #60 on: November 27, 2015, 02:45:45 PM »

Offline D Dub

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
With Embiid finally turning it around, might be time for Philly to cut bait with this malcontent.   Who does Okafor think he is, being competitive?

Kelly, Rozier and the 2016 BK pick for Jahil.   

Makes a ton of sense for Philly, as it will give them potentially 3 of the top 6 or 7 picks in the draft.   And they get a shooting big who'd fit much better alongside Noel/Joel.   Also, they need a pg in the worst way, so why not take a flier on Rozier who has shown an ability to play a bit in this league.   They can start their next gen core while still ensuring anothe top pick next year.

Rozier
Hollis/Staskas
2016 top pick(s)
Joel
Noel

« Reply #61 on: November 27, 2015, 03:32:27 PM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
I tend to support the athlete when fans who think they're tough lose
their cool or go full on abusive.

But athletes today have to be more careful.  So easy to get stabbed
or shot or otherwise harmed.

« Reply #62 on: November 27, 2015, 03:36:02 PM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196

He could have easily been stabbed like Paul Pierce , the guy at the end of the video lands a punch to the back of his head/shoulder . Imagine if that guy had a knife, this could have been a much worse scenario .

« Reply #63 on: November 27, 2015, 04:14:35 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 323
Ah yes, another case of a black guy using the N word. Postracial America at its finest.

Oh brother.

Oh brother, what? I still can't see why it's okay for blacks to use the N word, or why they'd want to use it.

I'm not surprised that you don't get it.

This thread isn't in the current events forum and I'm too tired from turkey and alcohol to write a primer on the racial politics of word choice.  I'm not qualified for it anyhow.  I'll bet this one is a really easy question to Google, though.

It was never my intent to offend anyone with my word choice. All I was saying is that, to me, it's not a good thing for black people to use the N word.

The racial politics of word choice is an area too fluid and confusing for me to keep up with, as evidenced by the fact that I didn't realize some people consider "blacks" inappropriate. During my newspaper days, for example, when I kept up with Associated Press style, "black" was, for a time, an acceptable descriptor, then the AP changed course and said that "African American" was to be used instead of "black"—until a few years later, that is, when they reverted to saying "black" was acceptable.

The AP, I presume, made these decisions in consultation with experts from the black/African American community, but that community isn't even unified regarding what terms are considered acceptable. One of my wife's closest friends, for example, is black, and she thinks most of this debate over word choice (as well as other "microaggressions") is foolishness.

If there is someone, however, who's offended by a certain word choice, I'm fine with them informing me of that fact, though I prefer they do it without sarcasm.

In the interest of keeping this thread on track, this is the last I'll comment on this issue here. If anyone has more to say, feel free to PM me.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #64 on: November 27, 2015, 11:28:10 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 987

Nah, I don't support athletes. They get paid millions of bucks just to touch a basketball. They better get used to being heckled by comments such as "76ers suck!!" or they in a for long journey.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #65 on: November 27, 2015, 11:38:45 PM »

Offline KeepRondo

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 215
Yes, it's really stupid.

At the same time, I understand young guys losing their cool due to constant losing.  Okafor is a competitive kid who just expressed that in a really bad way.
Has it been confirmed that this is what the fight was really over? The other guy is saying that Okafor tried to come up to his girl. This seems more likely to start a fight then a dude heckling Okafor.

Maybe the guy started talking crap after Okafor went into his lame I got money rant.

Okafor just sounds like a Edited.  Profanity and masked profanity are against forum rules and may result in discipline. in the video.

« Reply #66 on: November 28, 2015, 02:45:29 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Yes, it's really stupid.

At the same time, I understand young guys losing their cool due to constant losing.  Okafor is a competitive kid who just expressed that in a really bad way.

Roy nailed it.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #67 on: November 28, 2015, 03:34:50 AM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 944
  • Intensity!!!
It's funny he even gets into the bars and gets served. He's a famous 19 year old. Thus everyone knows he's underage and it's illegal to serve him alcohol. Not only is it obvious he's a minor getting drunk but it's obvious the bar/club is serving minors.

KG: "Dude.... What is up with yo shorts?!"

CBD_2016 Cavs Remaining Picks - 14.14

« Reply #68 on: November 28, 2015, 07:43:53 AM »

Offline CelticPride2016

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 247

It was never my intent to offend anyone with my word choice. All I was saying is that, to me, it's not a good thing for black people to use the N word.

The AP, I presume, made these decisions in consultation with experts from the black/African American community, but that community isn't even unified regarding what terms are considered acceptable. One of my wife's closest friends, for example, is black, and she thinks most of this debate over word choice (as well as other "microaggressions") is foolishness.

If there is someone, however, who's offended by a certain word choice, I'm fine with them informing me of that fact, though I prefer they do it without sarcasm.

The common sense rule seems to be that one must be part of the in-group to use such words. I think that is fair. I also think like many that this is a sports board, that even if we take care with such and such ideas, etc., there is always going to be someone who goes too far with sharing their 'wisdom'.

Such a conversation on this type of forum will always lead to tension and then threads will be locked by moderators. I may only have a few comments on this unoriginal username, but I've been lurking for years. I don't know the stats, but there are usually ten times or 100 times more people who read and don't comment than those of you who live and breathe amateur sports writing on message boards. In this respect, we may want to take extra care with what we write.

I can't imagine there is anything much more offensive than having people from the out-group telling folks in the in-group how to live, talk, and feel or by attempting to judge those things. While we are all individuals, it is clear that our society is ill and without much wisdom when it comes to running a fair society. Life is not cut-and-dried. The discussion, imho, should be about a late night fight, not racism.

It's not about free speech. It's about context. If we were in a sociology class discussing race issues, then this would be a great topic.

My point is there are a lot of eyes on these pages. It is not about any one person and their wisdom. This is a sports board, not political.

Nonetheless, I do think it's fair game to quote Okafor, though I would use asterisks or call it the N word. People seem to understand that. I don't think it matters too much anyway that he said it. My opinion is that non-Black people shouldn't go near the narrowed topic of word choice in this situation.

It can't end well, ever, the way I see it, to discuss such esoteric topics on a sports board. I am not attacking you, but that is how I see it.

Someone could easily respond with such and such about police killing and profiling Black people. You could then get someone sticking up for cops. I've seen this happen before on this and other websites. It is not helpful.

Nothing personal, but it seems like you interjected your own philosophies and concerns over what the actual topic is. His using the N word seems to have been a minor detail. I think it is an okay topic, but that this isn't the right venue.

Even in the right venue, this is the internet and any person can drop comments from anywhere. The racist troll could be some kid in the basement trying to get a fight started on a forum. He could be a little bit racist, as "we" all are. but his main concern may be a little old-fashioned sabotage.

I think this is a hornet's nest. I think it is simply not worth it 'to go there'.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2015, 07:51:12 AM by CelticPride2016 »

« Reply #69 on: November 29, 2015, 10:55:16 AM »

Offline esel1000

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 587

« Reply #70 on: November 29, 2015, 11:01:12 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup
Yup

« Reply #71 on: November 29, 2015, 11:11:09 AM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2697
It's funny he even gets into the bars and gets served. He's a famous 19 year old. Thus everyone knows he's underage and it's illegal to serve him alcohol. Not only is it obvious he's a minor getting drunk but it's obvious the bar/club is serving minors.

Thats the easiest part for the police to pick on, and I'm surprised no journalist even mentioned it. The bar and Okafor should have been cited for underage drinking.

« Reply #72 on: November 29, 2015, 11:43:52 AM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549
When it rains it pours huh?

http://mobile.philly.com/blogs/?wss=/philly/blogs/sports/sixers/&id=357904171&

Management must be pooping themselves.
I was wondering how the Sixers management could engineer a loss to the Lakers.  Now they can use these incidents to sit Okafor for that game and they can sit Noel due to the nagging injuries he's recently had. 

« Reply #73 on: December 02, 2015, 05:00:09 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2904
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2595103-new-video-of-jahlil-okafor-fighting-outside-boston-bar-surfaces

Apparently, there were two separate incidents of Okafor knocking guys out in Boston that night.

Also, Brown is now even admitting that the losing definitely has affected Okafor.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2595200-brett-brown-comments-on-jahlil-okafor-76ers-losing-record

« Reply #74 on: December 02, 2015, 05:04:33 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Also, Brown is now even admitting that the losing definitely has affected Okafor.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2595200-brett-brown-comments-on-jahlil-okafor-76ers-losing-record
Eh. He's so concerned about winning that he wants to tell everyone that "he has money"?
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."