Author Topic: Kevin Garnett once forced Doc Rivers to cancel a practice by acting like KG  (Read 1771 times)

Offline slightly biased bias fan

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 310
ESPN Magazine’s Jackie MacMullan recently published a feature on Garnett, now working as a starter and near-assistant coach for the Minnesota Timberwolves, one that initially details his second season with the Boston Celtics before delving into his new role in Minnesota.

During this turn KG was midway through his first year as defending champion, a part-mentor but also franchise player on a Celtics team that had raced out to a ridiculous 27-2 start to the 2008-09 season. C’s coach Doc Rivers informed Garnett that he would need to sit out a February practice, what with Garnett approaching his 33rd birthday, stuck winter-deep inside his 14th year as a pro.

Garnett informed his coach that sitting out a practice would allow his teammates to “see weakness” in its on-court leader, prior to skulking to the sidelines.

Then this happened:

Garnett, forbidden to take the floor by his own coach, had concocted his revenge: He would track the movements of power forward Leon Powe, the player who had replaced him in the lineup. As Powe pivoted, so did Garnett. As Powe leaped to grab a defensive rebound, Garnett launched himself to corral an imaginary ball. As Powe snapped an outlet pass, Garnett mimicked the motion, then sprinted up his slim sliver of sideline real estate as Powe filled the lane on the break. The players were mirror images: one on the court with a full complement of teammates, the other out of bounds, alone. Two men engaged in a bizarre basketball tango.
"KG," Rivers barked, "if you keep doing this, I'm canceling practice for the whole team. That will hurt us."
Garnett's reverence for coaches was legendary, but still he turned his back on Rivers. He returned to his defensive stance, an isotope of intensity, crouched, palms outstretched, in complete concert with Powe. He was, in fact, becoming so adept at this warped dalliance he'd invented, he actually began to anticipate Powe's movements, denying the entry pass to his invisible opponent before Powe thought of it.
Finally, an exasperated Rivers blew the whistle. "Go home," Rivers instructed his team. Then he glared at Garnett. "I hope you're happy."
So, you can take this as one more example of why Kevin Garnett is Mr. Bad Guy, Tough Dude, Leader of Men and a Shining Example of All That Should Be Badass About All Sportz.

Or, you could look at the 32-year old man that undermined his boss because he thought he knew better, canceling what his boss called a much-needed practice along the way.

Or, you could remind yourself of the fact that Kevin Garnett sprained his right knee while attempting to jump for an alley-oop in a game against the Utah Jazz on Feb. 19 of that season, effectively (save for an aborted and brief mid-March comeback) knocking Garnett out for the year, and undercutting Boston’s hopes at defending its championship.

Did Kevin Garnett mimicking Leon Powe’s scrimmage routine cost the Celtics a championship? Of course not. Entering the league at age 19 and making endless playoff appearances while acting as one of the NBA’s greatest two-way players of all time for 13 years prior to this anecdote led to Garnett’s tumble.

And, to KG’s credit, he immediately took to Rivers’ decision to modify his minutes upon becoming a Celtic in 2007 – Garnett went from 39 minutes a game at age 30 as a member of the Timberwolves in 2006-07 to 32 minutes a game in his first year in Boston, and 31 minutes a night during the season documented here.

At that point, limiting superstar minutes wasn’t in vogue. Tim Duncan had seen his minutes cut during 2004-05, but that was only due to a nagging ankle injury, and Duncan (who is older than Garnett) watched as coach Gregg Popovich still played his big man more minutes per game than KG during Garnett’s first two years in Boston. Kobe Bryant still averaged over 37 minutes a night over that span, while playing 82 games a year. Rivers was ahead of the curve.

So was Garnett.

Offline slightly biased bias fan

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 310
lol no one else finds this hilarious and typical KG other then myself??

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962
That's awesome.
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale

Offline MSceltic

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 23
I doubt there will be many players with his competitive fire that come along again.

Offline Sketch5

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
While I love KG's attitude and not a huge fan of Doc's. I wonder if KG would have sat a few more practices, even during the first year, if he would have gone down with the knee injury.

It still may have happened. But a big reason why guys get hurt so often is they push it too far too often and don't give the body rest. A few weeks over the summer isn't enough. It's why I kinda like Silvers idea of extending the season but not game numbers, to give the teams more rest days.

Still funny as Hell though. Would love to have seen a KG mime out there. LOL

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
lol no one else finds this hilarious and typical KG other then myself??
I do. What what I read here, it sounds like Doc acted childishly.

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962
I doubt there will be many players with his competitive fire that come along again.

Agree.  Nobody hates losing as much as KG.  He'd probably give back all $350 million he made in the league for few more rings.  Not surprising he would refuse to not practice.
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 323
Was it technically a sprain? "Sprain" doesn't sound as serious as that injury was.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis