Author Topic: Players Going at Isaiah Thomas  (Read 1702 times)

Players Going at Isaiah Thomas
« on: November 25, 2015, 11:26:27 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
Anyone else notice how Canaan and Teague both had a little something to say to Thomas these last two games.

It kind of seems like players are going after him a bit. Obviously teams have gameplanned to go after him, but its not just that. It seems like guards take it personally.

I think this is a combination of three things: 1) Teams identify him as a weak spot in the defense, 2) Thomas is playing a legit Allstar this year, and players always take it as a personal challenge to play well against Allstars, and 3) Thomas won't back down. He is feisty, bringing out the fight in other players.

Re: Players Going at Isaiah Thomas
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2015, 11:38:46 PM »

Offline GreenWarrior

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 228
Teams identify him as a weak spot in the defense.

that's all.

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2015, 12:15:17 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
I'm sure Isaiah's big personality and offensive cockiness have a lot to do with it.  You don't see players mouthing off at every weak defender in the league.

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2015, 02:58:06 AM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
I'm sure Isaiah's big personality and offensive cockiness have a lot to do with it.  You don't see players mouthing off at every weak defender in the league.

This.

IT is a feisty guy who mouths off a lot, but because hes so confident in himself. Its crazy how good he would be if he was a lot much taller.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2015, 10:14:55 AM »

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559
If IT remains in the starting lineup, look for teams to exploit his weakness on defense more and more.
Posting him up, rubbing him off of picks. They're playing him much more physically, reaching in, bumping him off track. They're closing down the lane as he tries to get to the rim, daring him to pass out to open men.
Thomas, being a volume scorer, needs to better pick his moments of attack, and hit the open man more often. Spacing, when he's in the game has really deteriorated. 

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2015, 10:36:05 AM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238
Even with Smart out, I still think that IT should not start.

A 1-2-3 of Turner, Bradley, Hunter with Crowder at the 4 or Turner, Bradley, Crowder works for me.

IT is our most talented offensive player and tries like hell on D, but he's too small to defend many points in the league.

« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2015, 11:01:47 AM »

Offline Denis998

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 388
  • Rutgers '17
Canaan shouldn't be saying anything. He is a D-League player on essentially a D-League team.

« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2015, 11:58:04 AM »

Offline Smartacus

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 318
IT is a perfectly adequate denfensive presence at the point. He provides about the same output as prime Tony Parker and comes up with timely steals.

I think when people see someone shooting over him they assume that it's just because he's short. It's the NBA, players hit shots. Kyrie Irving is 6'3 + and people shoot over him all the time and Jeff Teague used to torch Rondo too.

If Canaan wants to shoot his team out of a game by trying to embarass IT let him. Lamar Odom and Andre Blatche used to try and go at KG every game they played him.Obviously KG wasn't a bad defender, like IT he was an agitator.

« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2015, 12:14:37 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
I love Thomas' feistiness, but it honestly may benefit him to take on Stevens' demeanor more.

If he shut his mouth and let his game speak for itself, opposing guards wouldn't take playing him so personally, which may benefit his game.

Meh ...

This is all talk. Maybe it would help. Maybe it wouldn't. I know Teague was mouthing off about how Thomas was too short, but Thomas had comparable stats to Teague last game and toasted him the first game. I know Canaan was mouthing off about it, but Thomas torched Canaan for 30 and we won the game.

I think Smart helps Thomas a lot. He is kinda' like the enforcer who has Thomas' back.