Poll

Trade Kelly plus every pick this year minus Brooklyn's For Giannis.

Yes. Please give us a real SF.
6 (26.1%)
No. Just draft two SF's.
13 (56.5%)
I'd trade anyone on our roster for the Greek Freak.
4 (17.4%)

Total Members Voted: 23

Author Topic: Poll: Kelly and three firsts for the Greek Freak  (Read 4737 times)

Re: Poll: Kelly and three firsts for the Greek Freak
« Reply #30 on: November 26, 2015, 08:57:42 PM »

Offline Granath

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 567
I'm still waiting on one of these "Ainge screwed up because he didn't draft player x" posters to link where they said the Celtics should draft that player (Giannis, Draymond Green) prior to the NBA draft of that year. Until then, I chalk those posts up as someone craving attention and using hindsight to try to make themselves appear smart but don't really have any original ideas to offer.
Jaylen Brown will be an All Star in the next 5 years.

« Reply #31 on: November 26, 2015, 09:14:51 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136
I'm still waiting on one of these "Ainge screwed up because he didn't draft player x" posters to link where they said the Celtics should draft that player (Giannis, Draymond Green) prior to the NBA draft of that year. Until then, I chalk those posts up as someone craving attention and using hindsight to try to make themselves appear smart but don't really have any original ideas to offer.

It's funny you mention Draymond Green cause that was my guy. I wouldn't have passed on Sully for green but Fab Melo. Yeah I would have taken Green.

With Gianni's. I new about him from other people on this board, and yes the we're at least a few people here that were high on him.

It's Ainges job to know. If you ever seen Gianni's n Real life it makes you go back and watch more tape. He's a real freak.

« Reply #32 on: November 26, 2015, 09:43:25 PM »

Offline Granath

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell

It's funny you mention Draymond Green cause that was my guy. I wouldn't have passed on Sully for green but Fab Melo. Yeah I would have taken Green.

With Gianni's. I new about him from other people on this board, and yes the we're at least a few people here that were high on him.

It's Ainges job to know. If you ever seen Gianni's n Real life it makes you go back and watch more tape. He's a real freak.

*chuckle*

Look, I think almost all of us would rather have Giannis right now over Kelly. That's fair. And making a fictitious trade proposal is fine too.

But your entire post goes to proving my point. "...that was my guy" is exactly the kind of stuff I was talking about. Simply put, prove it. Go find your post prior to the draft that year that unequivocally says that Green was your guy. Most every time I've made that challenge I don't get a response. The only time anyone has ever answered that challenge they linked one post that suggested that player x was someone to watch - and then I easily found another half dozen posts that listed about 8 players in that draft as ones to consider. If you can link your post that says Green was "your guy", then I'll offer major props to you for having great foresight and I think you'd have great reason to complain that Ainge didn't draft your guy at that point. Until then, it's all just hindsight whining and moaning and it doesn't take a genius to do that.

When I hear "Ainge screwed up because he didn't draft player x" or "it's his job to know", I consider the circumstances. In Giannis' case, there are 30 GMs in the NBA and not one of them knew because if they did every single one of them would have made the Bucks an attractive enough offer to get them to grab him. He happens to be a physical freak who continued to grow and is rounding into a stunning player. Simply put, the Bucks got lucky. Don't tell me it's "Ainge's job to know" because that's a cop out. He's not clairvoyant. He's not omnipotent. The real question is how often does he hit or miss against his peers? That's how you evaluate anyone in the real world and the answer to that is Ainge's track record is pretty [dang] good.

Now you're right in that a number of people had Giannis on their lists that year but they had him along with quite a few other potential players. It doesn't take much to say "here are 4 guys potentially available at draft pick #xx that we should consider". That's easy. The trick is to say "here are 4 guys to consider and out of the 4 this is the guy we should select" and then explain why that's the guy. Because ultimately that's what Ainge or any GM has to do.

« Reply #33 on: November 26, 2015, 10:11:12 PM »

Offline Smartacus

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 318

*chuckle*

Look, I think almost all of us would rather have Giannis right now over Kelly. That's fair. And making a fictitious trade proposal is fine too.

But your entire post goes to proving my point. "...that was my guy" is exactly the kind of stuff I was talking about. Simply put, prove it. Go find your post prior to the draft that year that unequivocally says that Green was your guy. Most every time I've made that challenge I don't get a response. The only time anyone has ever answered that challenge they linked one post that suggested that player x was someone to watch - and then I easily found another half dozen posts that listed about 8 players in that draft as ones to consider. If you can link your post that says Green was "your guy", then I'll offer major props to you for having great foresight and I think you'd have great reason to complain that Ainge didn't draft your guy at that point. Until then, it's all just hindsight whining and moaning and it doesn't take a genius to do that.

When I hear "Ainge screwed up because he didn't draft player x" or "it's his job to know", I consider the circumstances. In Giannis' case, there are 30 GMs in the NBA and not one of them knew because if they did every single one of them would have made the Bucks an attractive enough offer to get them to grab him. He happens to be a physical freak who continued to grow and is rounding into a stunning player. Simply put, the Bucks got lucky. Don't tell me it's "Ainge's job to know" because that's a cop out. He's not clairvoyant. He's not omnipotent. The real question is how often does he hit or miss against his peers? That's how you evaluate anyone in the real world and the answer to that is Ainge's track record is pretty [dang] good.

Now you're right in that a number of people had Giannis on their lists that year but they had him along with quite a few other potential players. It doesn't take much to say "here are 4 guys potentially available at draft pick #xx that we should consider". That's easy. The trick is to say "here are 4 guys to consider and out of the 4 this is the guy we should select" and then explain why that's the guy. Because ultimately that's what Ainge or any GM has to do.

Challenge accepted! I made this post before the West knew how to spell his name.

http://forums.celticsblog.com/index.php?topic=63261.0

Rebuilding in the NBA is a daunting concept. We Celtic fans have suffered through decades of dire straits so our top priority should be setting this team up for success in few years time. And the best way to do this is to maximize each draft pick from here on out.

Which brings us to 18 year old Giannis Adetokunbo my choice for the Celtics pick in this year's draft. A late bloomer out of Greece, Adetokunbo has.the unique phyiscal tools(6'9, 7'3 wingspan)and coordination to potentially be an all star once he matures.

Capable of playing multiple positions due to his versatile skill set, Adetokunbo projects to the three but may still be growing and possesses massive hands allowing him to make high level Rondo esque passes and finishes.

Should he conitinue to develop we could be looking at a Nicola Mirotic like situation where we could have a rotation player join up right when we should be hopefully in a postion to possibly contend. Like Mirotic,  Adetokunbo is signing a 4 year contract in the Spanish ACB League but has NBA out clauses in each of the contracts years. According to his agent he plans to most likely declare for this year's draft and stay in if the situation is right.

My ideal scenario would involve Pierce and Garnett retiring at the end of the season, drafting Adetokunbo in 2013, find our way to the 2014 lottery and be in a position to draft someone like a Julius Randle or Dakari Johnson. Fill out the roster with some free agent signings and have a seasoned Adetokunbo join up to throw out a young roster lead by the evil genius himself, Rondo.

Big things have small beginnings, this could be the greatest draft and stash candidate since Tiago Splitter.

That same year I also had...

http://forums.celticsblog.com/index.php?topic=62053.msg1383287#msg1383287
Lately a prospect that has jumped out has been Kelly Olynyc out of Gonzaga.

Skilled, physical 7 footer who's scoring should at least partially translate to the pro's. Not projected to be a great defender but he's been dropping 30+ 8+ games lately against some strong competition.

I think he'd be a nice fit with Sully and Fab for the future. He scores better than Fab and is taller than Sully should he get walled by a giant front line like Memphis.

Draft express has him going at 20 in their most recent mock draft but a strong tourney and workouts could bump him up a few more notches.

P.S. Canada is entering a golden age of basketball, he's from just outside of Toronto so I think he'd want to be drafted by a North Eastern Team like ours

And finally here was my mock from this year Had us taking Mickey at 28 and Rozier at 33...

http://forums.celticsblog.com/index.php?topic=78620.msg1901347#msg1901347

I'd really like this draft to be something like this for us and a lot of the other team's choices fall into the it should happen so it probably won't category. Here goes.

1   1            Minnesota Timberwolves   Karl Anthony Towns Jr
1   2            Los Angeles Lakers  Jahleel Okafor
1   3            Philadelphia 76ers   Emmanuel Mudiay (Philly historically looks for explosive wing talent)
1   4            New York Knicks DeAngelo Russell
1   5            Orlando Magic     Justise Winslow
1   6            Sacramento Kings   Willie Caulie Stein
1   7            Denver Nuggets   Kristaps Porzingis
1   8            Detroit Pistons   Mario Hezonja
1   9            Charlotte Hornets   Stanley Johnson
1   10            Miami Heat    Frank Kaminski
1   11            Indiana Pacers   Myles Turner
1   12            Utah Jazz   Trey Lyles
1   13            Phoenix Suns   Kelly Oubre
1   14            Oklahoma City Thunder  Cameron Payne
1   15            Atlanta Hawks (from Brooklyn)  Devin Booker
1   16            Boston Celtics  Justin Anderson
1   17            Milwaukee Bucks    Rashad Vaughn
1   18            Houston Rockets(from New Orleans)Jerian Grant
1   19            Washington Wizards   Bobby Portis
1   20            Toronto Raptors   Jarrell Martin
1   21            Dallas Mavericks   Tyus Jones
1   22            Chicago Bulls   Kevon Looney
1   23            Portland Trail Blazers  Sam Dekker
1   24            Cleveland Cavaliers   Rondae Hollis Jefferson
1   25            Memphis Grizzlies   RJ Hunter
1   26            San Antonio Spurs   Montrezl Harrell
1   27       Los Angeles Lakers(from Houston)   Christian Wood
1   28            Boston Celtics (from L.A. Clippers)  Jordan Mickey
1   29            Brooklyn Nets (from Atlanta) Cliff Alexander
1   30            Golden State Warriors Cedi Osman
2      33                             Boston Celtics Terry Rosier
2      45                             Boston Celtics Chris Walker

Probably will be way off but I'll make sure to go back and amend these picks after a few years have passed.

Edit: Grant got picked twice. Lead to Houston-now-taking Jones from Dallas and Dallas picking Looney.

Edit 2: Washington was always meant to take Portis. Fixed pick.

Edit 3: Swapped the Chicago and Portland picks which might just work better for both teams.

Edit 4: Forgot Myles Turner... will need to fix in a few hours. That changes everything.
Inserted Turner to Indy -> Cam Payne to OKC -> Booker to Atlanta ->Grant to Rockets(really like that pick) -> Tyus Jones to Dallas -> Kevon Looney to Bulls -> RJ Hunter to Memphis -> Robert Upshaw has been excused from my first round after testing positive for Red Flags.

Ha horrible brag attempt aside I assure you when I wanted us to take Antetokunmpo, I wanted us to take Antetokounmpo. I've been eating, sleeping and breathing draft talk since before we were tanking. ;D

Note: That being said in DA I trust I still don't think Giannis is a great fit for our system. I have no problem with our current direction of building around players that have been raised up in Basketball systems like Kelly, Sulley and RJ.

« Reply #34 on: November 26, 2015, 10:15:15 PM »

Offline Granath

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
Challenge accepted! I made this post before the West knew how to spell his name.

TP. Maybe Celticsblog should be listening more to you at draft time.

I also don't see you complain about it either. The ones who are more vocal seem not be able to back it up nearly as well as you can. :)
« Last Edit: November 26, 2015, 10:31:49 PM by Granath »

« Reply #35 on: November 26, 2015, 10:19:28 PM »

Offline Smartacus

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 318

*chuckle*

http://forums.celticsblog.com/index.php?topic=63261.0

Rebuilding in the NBA is a daunting concept. We Celtic fans have suffered through decades of dire straits so our top priority should be setting this team up for success in few years time. And the best way to do this is to maximize each draft pick from here on out.

Which brings us to 18 year old Giannis Adetokunbo my choice for the Celtics pick in this year's draft. A late bloomer out of Greece, Adetokunbo has.the unique phyiscal tools(6'9, 7'3 wingspan)and coordination to potentially be an all star once he matures.

Capable of playing multiple positions due to his versatile skill set, Adetokunbo projects to the three but may still be growing and possesses massive hands allowing him to make high level Rondo esque passes and finishes.

Should he conitinue to develop we could be looking at a Nicola Mirotic like situation where we could have a rotation player join up right when we should be hopefully in a postion to possibly contend. Like Mirotic,  Adetokunbo is signing a 4 year contract in the Spanish ACB League but has NBA out clauses in each of the contracts years. According to his agent he plans to most likely declare for this year's draft and stay in if the situation is right.

My ideal scenario would involve Pierce and Garnett retiring at the end of the season, drafting Adetokunbo in 2013, find our way to the 2014 lottery and be in a position to draft someone like a Julius Randle or Dakari Johnson. Fill out the roster with some free agent signings and have a seasoned Adetokunbo join up to throw out a young roster lead by the evil genius himself, Rondo.

Big things have small beginnings, this could be the greatest draft and stash candidate since Tiago Splitter.

That same year I also had...

http://forums.celticsblog.com/index.php?topic=62053.msg1383287#msg1383287
Lately a prospect that has jumped out has been Kelly Olynyc out of Gonzaga.

Skilled, physical 7 footer who's scoring should at least partially translate to the pro's. Not projected to be a great defender but he's been dropping 30+ 8+ games lately against some strong competition.

I think he'd be a nice fit with Sully and Fab for the future. He scores better than Fab and is taller than Sully should he get walled by a giant front line like Memphis.

Draft express has him going at 20 in their most recent mock draft but a strong tourney and workouts could bump him up a few more notches.

P.S. Canada is entering a golden age of basketball, he's from just outside of Toronto so I think he'd want to be drafted by a North Eastern Team like ours

And finally here was my mock from this year Had us taking Mickey at 28 and Rozier at 33...

http://forums.celticsblog.com/index.php?topic=78620.msg1901347#msg1901347

I'd really like this draft to be something like this for us and a lot of the other team's choices fall into the it should happen so it probably won't category. Here goes.

1   1            Minnesota Timberwolves   Karl Anthony Towns Jr
1   2            Los Angeles Lakers  Jahleel Okafor
1   3            Philadelphia 76ers   Emmanuel Mudiay (Philly historically looks for explosive wing talent)
1   4            New York Knicks DeAngelo Russell
1   5            Orlando Magic     Justise Winslow
1   6            Sacramento Kings   Willie Caulie Stein
1   7            Denver Nuggets   Kristaps Porzingis
1   8            Detroit Pistons   Mario Hezonja
1   9            Charlotte Hornets   Stanley Johnson
1   10            Miami Heat    Frank Kaminski
1   11            Indiana Pacers   Myles Turner
1   12            Utah Jazz   Trey Lyles
1   13            Phoenix Suns   Kelly Oubre
1   14            Oklahoma City Thunder  Cameron Payne
1   15            Atlanta Hawks (from Brooklyn)  Devin Booker
1   16            Boston Celtics  Justin Anderson
1   17            Milwaukee Bucks    Rashad Vaughn
1   18            Houston Rockets(from New Orleans)Jerian Grant
1   19            Washington Wizards   Bobby Portis
1   20            Toronto Raptors   Jarrell Martin
1   21            Dallas Mavericks   Tyus Jones
1   22            Chicago Bulls   Kevon Looney
1   23            Portland Trail Blazers  Sam Dekker
1   24            Cleveland Cavaliers   Rondae Hollis Jefferson
1   25            Memphis Grizzlies   RJ Hunter
1   26            San Antonio Spurs   Montrezl Harrell
1   27       Los Angeles Lakers(from Houston)   Christian Wood
1   28            Boston Celtics (from L.A. Clippers)  Jordan Mickey
1   29            Brooklyn Nets (from Atlanta) Cliff Alexander
1   30            Golden State Warriors Cedi Osman
2      33                             Boston Celtics Terry Rosier
2      45                             Boston Celtics Chris Walker

Probably will be way off but I'll make sure to go back and amend these picks after a few years have passed.

Edit: Grant got picked twice. Lead to Houston-now-taking Jones from Dallas and Dallas picking Looney.

Edit 2: Washington was always meant to take Portis. Fixed pick.

Edit 3: Swapped the Chicago and Portland picks which might just work better for both teams.

Edit 4: Forgot Myles Turner... will need to fix in a few hours. That changes everything.
Inserted Turner to Indy -> Cam Payne to OKC -> Booker to Atlanta ->Grant to Rockets(really like that pick) -> Tyus Jones to Dallas -> Kevon Looney to Bulls -> RJ Hunter to Memphis -> Robert Upshaw has been excused from my first round after testing positive for Red Flags.

Ha horrible brag attempt aside I assure you when I wanted us to take Antetokunmpo, I wanted us to take Antetokounmpo. I've been eating, sleeping and breathing draft talk since before we were tanking. ;D

TP. Maybe Celticsblog should be listing more to you at draft time.

I also don't see you complain about it either. :)

Your words not mine friend ;), but we have a lot of great draft posters around these parts. Triboy, Phosita, Chambers and several others, it's not hard to get a good draft conversation going. One of the thing I love most about this board.

« Reply #36 on: November 26, 2015, 11:09:33 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Lol the only rational reason this poll could be losing is if people are afraid Boston's own pick will end up top 5.  If you're asking if it's worth it to trade olynyk and a few picks outside the lotto for Giannis, the answer is obviously yes.   We were ready to give up 6 picks including four 1st rounders just to move up from 16 to 9.  C'mon. 

« Reply #37 on: November 26, 2015, 11:13:34 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
No thanks.

As much as I like Greek Freak, I believe those picks could develop into something a lot bigger than him - whether it's a trade package that Danny builds or whether it's our actual next home-grown drafted Superstar.

Our future is in those picks, and will set us up for the next 15 or so years. Danny was shrewd, wise and smart to get them.

They are much bigger than Greek Freak, IMO.
The original proposed trade doesn't include any of the Brooklyn picks.  It was just Kelly, the Celtics 2016 (likely mid-1st), Dallas 2016 (likely mid-1st) and Minny 2016 (likely turns into two 2nds) for Giannis.  That's an obvious yes from our standpoint and an obvious no from the Bucks.
yeah as of right now there are 12 "no" and 4 "yes".  Either those 12 folks didn't understand the premise or the expect Boston's own pick to end up top 5 this year.

« Reply #38 on: November 27, 2015, 12:15:26 AM »

Offline Granath

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
Lol the only rational reason this poll could be losing is if people are afraid Boston's own pick will end up top 5.  If you're asking if it's worth it to trade olynyk and a few picks outside the lotto for Giannis, the answer is obviously yes.   We were ready to give up 6 picks including four 1st rounders just to move up from 16 to 9.  C'mon.

Not really. It's somewhat rational to say no even though I'd very likely pull the trigger.

(1) There are legitimate questions about how well Giannis would fit in the current system. I think they're overblown but they're legitimate.

(2) That's a lot to pay for someone who isn't yet a superstar. Giannis is on track to be a very good player but he's not a star, at least not yet. And while we can all point to his continued improvement, most players who make "the leap" make it by their 3rd year (roughly 4,000 - 5,000 minutes of court time). Giannis already has that. So ask yourself this - if he NEVER improves from his current game, is he worth the price?

(3) Do you blow your wad on Giannis and not leave enough ammo in the clip to try for a true superstar should one become available?

As I said, I'd probably do it because he's a bird in hand versus two in the bush. But it's not so clear cut as you might imagine.

« Reply #39 on: November 27, 2015, 01:04:54 AM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875

Dallas and Minnesota both have a chance of finishing in the bottom half of the NBA (14 or lower).  The Celtics technically have a chance of that too, though I think we'll make the playoffs.

If we had two top 14 picks (DAL and MIN) plus our own being top 20 - I'm not sure if I'd trade those three AND Olynyk for Giannis.

I'd probably rather try to package those three picks (say, #12, #14, #18 for example) to move into the top 10.

That potentially gives us a second top 10 pick to add to the Brooklyn one (which is all but guaranteed to be top 10).   Two top 10 picks is a pretty promising place to be. Still a gamble, but there is a pretty good chance at least one of the two would end up a good player, with the possibility that both do. 

« Reply #40 on: November 27, 2015, 07:44:09 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
I'd like to get someone else a real star for unloading multiple 1st. But it's not even a likely deal IMO. Could see T Harris for that group of picks with Lee. GA for that I don't see. Bucks would need a legit talent and a possible top 10 pick I believe. KO is only a roleplayer.