Author Topic: Would you settle for Jakob Poeltl with nets pick?  (Read 6243 times)

Re: Would you settle for Jakob Poeltl with nets pick?
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2015, 05:21:33 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
I love Ingram.

People are concerned about Kevin Durant injury similarities, (although if your player can become KD, lol, then what's the issue?) and worries whether or not Ingram will be able to play in an NBA. But he just turned 18 on September, so he plenty of time to grow out the rest of his frame, which is pretty broad.

Based on what?   Duke benching him?   He is silky smooth and athletic but that has not translated in a good NCAA play.  He has looked good against bad teams and played poorly against good ones.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/player/_/id/3913176/brandon-ingram

Scored well against Yale and Bryant, vanished against UK and Georgetown. 

Here are Durant's college stats, big difference.

http://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/kevin-durant-1.html

But the Durant comparison is beyond silly, I was tempted to say things a whole lot meaning but it is Thanksgiving.  But Durant could play right away and he was not a project.  This is a great example of how we as a society compare things that really are not that similar.  I get it is how we understand things and we do it all the time, but in this case, as in many others, it is a fallacy.

His shooting has a ways to go, the only thing he has in common with Durant right now is he is skinny and tall.  He has potential, but he has to work on his shot and body and has a long ways to go.

I'm not really making the same exact comparisons with Durant. I'm just saying his body type is the same as Durant, and who else can we compare Ingram to?

Also, yes Ingram struggled, but I believe Ingram will be a special player. I don't know it... Call it intuition or an guy feeling as you will.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2015, 07:08:18 PM »

Offline The One

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 203
Ingram needs to do some powerlifting.

Too thin.

« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2015, 07:39:53 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
Nets starting to look a little better than at the beginning of the season, and there are some pretty weak teams (Lakers and 76ers) that look for poised for the top spots. Poeltl obviously doesn't have the upside as say Simmons or Skal, but he fits a HUGE position of need and looks like a really good consolation prize. If you were guaranteed Poeltl right now for the nets pick, would you take it?
hell no.  Nets pick is going to be top 5.  Poeltl would be interesting with the Mavs pick (8-10) or C's pick (10-12)

« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2015, 08:02:50 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Outside the top 7 I wouldn't mind. He would have been a lotto pick last draft if he declared.

« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2015, 10:03:52 PM »

Offline Bucketgetter

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 11
Nets starting to look a little better than at the beginning of the season, and there are some pretty weak teams (Lakers and 76ers) that look for poised for the top spots. Poeltl obviously doesn't have the upside as say Simmons or Skal, but he fits a HUGE position of need and looks like a really good consolation prize. If you were guaranteed Poeltl right now for the nets pick, would you take it?
hell no.  Nets pick is going to be top 5.  Poeltl would be interesting with the Mavs pick (8-10) or C's pick (10-12)
Mavs pick won't be anywhere near 8-10. Right now it's at 23, and they are 9-7. You're delusional if you think he would be "interesting" with the mavs pick.
CB Mock Deadline - Minnesota Timberwolves
Kemba Walker / Tyus Jones / Aaron Brooks
Jimmy Butler / Jamal Crawford / Treveon Graham
Rodney Hood / Nic Batum / Marcus Georges Hunt
Taj Gibson / Nemanja Bjelica / Jonas Jerebko
KAT / Derrick Favors / Cole Aldrich
Picks - 2018 CHA 1st (Lotto protected), none out

« Reply #20 on: November 26, 2015, 10:11:45 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
Mavs pick won't be anywhere near 8-10. Right now it's at 23, and they are 9-7. You're delusional if you think he would be "interesting" with the mavs pick.
yes, but it is a long season, so let's wait before making bold statements on this.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #21 on: November 26, 2015, 11:44:03 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
yes, but it is a long season, so let's wait before making bold statements on this.
Been saying Dallas will be not only be out of the playoffs but will just miss keeping their own pick this year --> not changing my opinion based on a hot start to the season.   Their roster is thin and reliant on a Dirk who's no spring chicken as well as Deron and Parsons to have bounce-back years.   I just don't see them holding up over the course of the full season. 

I'll reconsider if they're a top team in the West come the All-star break. 

« Reply #22 on: November 27, 2015, 02:20:46 AM »

Offline Bucketgetter

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 11
Which is exactly why you can't assume the nets pick will be top 5 either.
CB Mock Deadline - Minnesota Timberwolves
Kemba Walker / Tyus Jones / Aaron Brooks
Jimmy Butler / Jamal Crawford / Treveon Graham
Rodney Hood / Nic Batum / Marcus Georges Hunt
Taj Gibson / Nemanja Bjelica / Jonas Jerebko
KAT / Derrick Favors / Cole Aldrich
Picks - 2018 CHA 1st (Lotto protected), none out

« Reply #23 on: November 27, 2015, 06:11:18 AM »

Offline LHR

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 33
  • Executive Producer & Host: Celtics Beat Podcast
This whole season comes down to that Nets pick I think.  Sucks to look at it that way, but the Celts do need a break and this is the avenue to get it.
Author: Fall of the Boston Celtics
Available Here: http://www.clnsradio/LHRbook

EP & Host: Celtics Beat Podcast
Available here: http://apple.co/1E29sq0

« Reply #24 on: November 27, 2015, 06:22:59 AM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975

They've also lost 3 in a row and have more talented teams (LAC, Rockets, Pelicans, etc.) behind them in the standings. Things could change quickly for them.

« Reply #25 on: November 27, 2015, 08:30:03 AM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.

They've also lost 3 in a row and have more talented teams (LAC, Rockets, Pelicans, etc.) behind them in the standings. Things could change quickly for them.

I agree.

There is absolutely no way, the Rockets are going to stay 5-10. I mean, they are just way too good of a team. So there are definitely going to be competition for the Mavericks.

Pelicans also have room for progression, considering they have AD, even with battling so many injuries.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different