Author Topic: KG the ultimate professional  (Read 1380 times)

KG the ultimate professional
« on: November 25, 2015, 05:19:29 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
 “Kevin had this belief that if you were the leader, you couldn’t miss one snap of practice,” says Doc Rivers, who coached Garnett in Boston from 2007 to 2013. “But I had this belief that you are 30-whatever and I need you for the whole season.” And so in February 2009 the coach sat down his future Hall of Famer. Not to skip a game. Rivers just wanted him to miss a practice. “Coach, you don’t understand,” Garnett seethed. “If I’m sitting, they will see weakness.” – via ESPN.com

Re: KG the ultimate professional
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2015, 05:34:14 PM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
You can't underestimate the impact a player like that must have on the rest of his teammates, especially the younger guys.

I can just imagine, when you come out of college as a young hot shot, I can see how the cockiness could get the better of you.

But then you rock up to practice, and you have this 36-37 year old hall of famer who is showing up with 100% effort and energy at every practice, fighting through all the pain.  It would be so hard for you to see that guy busting his butt like that, and to not do the same yourself...just out of pure respect. 

You'd have to get that mentality of "[dang], this guy is already cemented in as a future hall of famer and all time great, and at his age / condition he still puts in he work every practice.  How can I not do the same?".

That's why I think the Timberwolves are going to be great in the near future - because they have so much young talent on that team, and all of those guys are going to be seeing KG putting that effort in every night...and so they will feel like the have to do the same.  At the end of the day this is only going to speed up the development of those players.

Then I see star players who have played for lesser quality organisations (Sacramento, Washington, etc) and I think that guys in those scenarios are so unfortunate to not have somebody like that around them to set the precedent.  Those guys will need to be super hard working guys by nature to get anywhere, because they'll have no KG there to push them along.

Anyway such an inspiring quote there, and it just goes to show why Kg has had such a huge impact in this league - especially on defense.  Defense is , after all, one part of the game that largely dependent on effort and energy.

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2015, 05:39:55 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
You can't underestimate the impact a player like that must have on the rest of his teammates, especially the younger guys.

I can just imagine, when you come out of college as a young hot shot, I can see how the cockiness could get the better of you.

But then you rock up to practice, and you have this 36-37 year old hall of famer who is showing up with 100% effort and energy at every practice, fighting through all the pain.  It would be so hard for you to see that guy busting his butt like that, and to not do the same yourself...just out of pure respect. 

You'd have to get that mentality of "[dang], this guy is already cemented in as a future hall of famer and all time great, and at his age / condition he still puts in he work every practice.  How can I not do the same?".

That's why I think the Timberwolves are going to be great in the near future - because they have so much young talent on that team, and all of those guys are going to be seeing KG putting that effort in every night...and so they will feel like the have to do the same.  At the end of the day this is only going to speed up the development of those players.

Then I see star players who have played for lesser quality organisations (Sacramento, Washington, etc) and I think that guys in those scenarios are so unfortunate to not have somebody like that around them to set the precedent.  Those guys will need to be super hard working guys by nature to get anywhere, because they'll have no KG there to push them along.

Anyway such an inspiring quote there, and it just goes to show why Kg has had such a huge impact in this league - especially on defense.  Defense is , after all, one part of the game that largely dependent on effort and energy.

+1

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2015, 05:54:55 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
Love the guy.

I'll still never forget him coming to BOS.....the excitement, etc, etc, etc.....

Talk about a jolt of coffee while I was in the middle of deployment in the Indian Ocean.

Was still a bit hesitant to hope after like 21 years of futility, but MAN that season and the ones after it were GREAT.

Looking forward to more KG-like experiences for BOS in future. They're out there - even if there will NEVER be another like him. But Danny will find someone similar.

Noah?

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2015, 06:57:30 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
This article from Jackie Mac about him mentoring Towns is a great read:  http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/14172961/the-cruel-tutelage-kevin-garnett

... Especially after watching the movie "Creed" last night... I'm just imagining KG as an aging Rocky mentoring the young fella. 

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2015, 07:35:43 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
This article from Jackie Mac about him mentoring Towns is a great read:  http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/14172961/the-cruel-tutelage-kevin-garnett

... Especially after watching the movie "Creed" last night... I'm just imagining KG as an aging Rocky mentoring the young fella.

Lucky for Towns to be taught the NBA game by KG. Good trade by the wolves to get KG. Young was not a cheap piece to trade away