Author Topic: Top 5 picks - set in stone?  (Read 4582 times)

Top 5 picks - set in stone?
« on: November 25, 2015, 12:54:50 PM »

Offline perks-a-beast

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 224
Simmons
Labissiere
Ingram
Brown
Bender

Those are 5 elite prospects.

I view this draft as a good one but with a major drop off in talent after the top 5. It's not going to be like last years draft where we didn't even know until the picks were announced who would be going top 5 (Towns, Okafor, and Russell were the only locks).

Murray and Ellenson seem to be the only ones who may sneak in but i doubt it.

Re: Top 5 picks - set in stone?
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2015, 12:55:50 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I think Simmons and Brown are definite top 5 picks, but the rest is fluid.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2015, 01:23:01 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Lab is still my pick. He has to share the ball with a very talented group so we are not seeing his whole game just yet. As things get tougher I expect more.

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2015, 01:27:09 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Lab is still my pick. He has to share the ball with a very talented group so we are not seeing his whole game just yet. As things get tougher I expect more.

We certainly saw last year with KAT that guys on those excessively talented Kentucky teams can get hidden a little bit.

What bothers me with Skal is that he seems more of a finesse / perimeter oriented guy.  That's a useful skillset at his size, especially in the modern NBA, but I wonder how much star potential there is with a finesse big who doesn't tend to impose his will on games.

And to be honest, I like my top 5 prospects to really POP when I watch them on video.  I want to see clips of them and feel like I might be watching a future star.  I just don't get that with Skal.   But I'm the furthest thing from a professional scout, so my gut instinct is worth nothing.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2015, 01:32:58 PM »

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 419
I could honestly see Poeltl moving to 5th place: http://www.examiner.com/article/utah-center-jakob-poeltl-impresses-25-nba-scouts-drops-career-best-32-on-temple

Bender is a total unknown.  He plays in a bad league, but when he played against actual NBA players, he looked ok.  It's not like he's playing in Spain though against top guys all the time and has been scouted properly.  Good size. He's hard to tell.

Jamal Murry or Kris Dunn could go fifth, with a slight edge to Murry.  He just looks more NBA ready, although Dunn is playing out of his mind. 

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2015, 01:36:27 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
Lab is a modern NBA 4 but the 5 is where he is needed for Kentucky. Lab is a split between Davis and Durant in terms of potential skills development. A decent physical and athletic 4 but above avg scoring touch inside and out. Simmons could be Lamar Odom but he isn't LeBron. LeBron has freak athleticism.

« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2015, 02:16:29 PM »

Offline viulo

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 11
In last year's draft, around november, noone had Russell going in the top 10, let alone top3... Even Towns was projected between #6-8.
Okafor and Mudiay were the ones everyone projected as top 2.
So expect some of those five names to drop and some others to rise.

« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2015, 02:38:39 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
Lab is a modern NBA 4 but the 5 is where he is needed for Kentucky. Lab is a split between Davis and Durant in terms of potential skills development. A decent physical and athletic 4 but above avg scoring touch inside and out. Simmons could be Lamar Odom but he isn't LeBron. LeBron has freak athleticism.
Labissiere = L.Aldridge type? 

« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2015, 02:52:21 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
Labissiere = L.Aldridge type?
More mobile and range. Less rebounding and physical. Than LA

« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2015, 04:04:46 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
Simmons
Labissiere
Ingram
Brown
Bender

Those are 5 elite prospects.

I view this draft as a good one but with a major drop off in talent after the top 5. It's not going to be like last years draft where we didn't even know until the picks were announced who would be going top 5 (Towns, Okafor, and Russell were the only locks).

Murray and Ellenson seem to be the only ones who may sneak in but i doubt it.

The season is still young.  Someone else is sure to climb into the discussion that was unexpected and one of these guys is sure to be questioned/devalued as the college season wears on

« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2015, 04:31:56 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Absolutely not.

Skal has looked below avg.  Not really explosive and skinny. What is the deal with this kid?

Outside of Simmons there is no top 5 lock imo.  We have seen from past drafts that there is no such thing as a top 5 locks

« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2015, 04:49:07 PM »

Offline brundlenye the sciencefly

• Jordan Walsh
  • Tommy Points: 2
I could honestly see Poeltl moving to 5th place: http://www.examiner.com/article/utah-center-jakob-poeltl-impresses-25-nba-scouts-drops-career-best-32-on-temple

This is what I'm thinking, too. I wasn't quite sure how he'd fit in CBS' system before, but I think his defensive versatility and improved passing make said fit more believable.

Can you imagine if we somehow got both Simmons and Poetl?

« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2015, 05:13:02 PM »

Offline TheFlex

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 367
Jamal Murray will be in the discussion.

Draft: 8 first rounders in next 5 years.

Cap space: $24 mil.

https://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague/

« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2015, 06:06:47 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Stuff can and will change.  Use the wayback machine to look at mock drafts this time of year in previous seasons (via draftexpress).

November 2011

#1 - Anthony Davis
#2 - Harrison Barnes
#3 - Andre Drummond
#4 - Jared Sullinger
#5 - Perry Jones
#6 - Thomas Robinson

... Those early projections actually weren't bad.  Lol.  Barnes ended up going 7th.  Drummond went 9th.  Sully fell to 21.  Jones fell to 28th.  Meanwhile, MKG went from 11th to 2nd.  Bradley Beal went from 15th to 3rd... and I don't see Damian Lillard anywhere on the list even though he eventually went 6th and proved to be a star. 

December 2012

Crap draft, but fwiw they had the top picks as:

#1 - Shabazz Muhammad
#2 - Nerlens Noel
#3 - Cody Zeller
#4 - Rudy Gobert
#5 - Alex Len

... Noel was taken 7th due to his injury.  Muhammad fell to 14th.  Gobert went all the way down at 27th.  I don't see Oladipo anywhere on the list.

November 2013

#1 - Wiggins
#2 - Randle
#3 - Exum
#4 - Parker
#5 - Gordon
#6 - Smart
#7 - Embiid

Say what you want about how Embiid's career went, but by draft day he was considered "by far" the best prospect... went 3rd due to his injury.  Randle fell to 7th.  Looking at the list, I don't see Elfrid Payton or Noah Vonleh anywhere... I guess those guys showed up later?

This time last year:

It was seen as Okafor or bust.  We later learned that Towns is a phenom force of nature.  Porzingus crawled up to 4th and it's looking like he might be the 2nd best player in that entire draft.  D'Angelo Russell was projected all the way down to 13th and he went 2nd. 

« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2015, 06:39:01 PM »

Offline truthhurts34

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 11
How can you honestly say there is a severe drop off after 5? It's November.