Author Topic: Our Permanent Guard Rotation  (Read 1464 times)

Our Permanent Guard Rotation
« on: November 25, 2015, 12:52:35 PM »

Offline TheFlex

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 367
It looks like the Celtics are focused on a more organic rebuild than the quick re-tool we were blessed with in 2007, and thus, more than ever, the Celtics are looking at players' fits not just 2-3 years down the line as DA would have done in say, 2009, but 5, 6, 7, etc. years down the line.

After drafting Smart/Young/Rozier/Hunter, picking up IT, and now watching AB make yet another leap, I've noticed that Celtics fans have fallen into the trap of assuming that our guard rotation is set, and only drooling over frontcourt prospects in upcoming drafts. I've done this myself; it's nice to think we'll be lucky enough to pick the best prospect on the board who also happens to fit perfectly into our rotation (Simmons at PF, Labissiere at PF/C, J. Brown or Ingram at SF). Even if the Nets do finish with one of the two worst records however, in the cold world of the ping pong balls, there's no guarantee that those guys will be there when we make our selection with Brooklyn's 1st. What could Danny do in that case?

We have no All-Stars at the guard spot, period. IT is close, but probably no cigar. AB is close as well, and only 25, but limitations that have remained consistent over the course of his career (size, ball-handling ability) will likely prevent him from ascending from the Korver/Danny Green tier to the All-Star tier of SGs. Smart is our best hope, but having one legitimate hope and a couple of other puncher's chances in IT and AB is no reason to pass up, say, Jamal Murray with the 4th, 5th, etc. pick.

So, to raise our spirits after a pretty brutal 1-3 stretch, what's an appealing scenario in which we do select another guard with our top pick in the draft?

March 1st The Celtics sit at the 6th seed and are excited about the Brooklyn pick, but have another relatively disappointing deadline. No one wants David Lee, and we're forced to let him leave for nothing at the end of the year. Some calls come in for Amir Johnson, but Danny chooses to wait for an opportunity in which the combination of his present basketball value + financial value is fully maximized. We can't find a fair taker for Sullinger, and gamble that he somehow fits into our future plans. Evan Turner is too crucial to our playoff push, and we opt to keep him, despite the risk of losing him for nothing in the summer. We send out Zeller for a lame return, something along the lines of a Jerebko-type and a 2nd rounder. Olynyk is never put on the block, and stays with the Celtics. After 3 straight years of an overhyped trading deadline in Boston, Danny eyes the months of May, June and July and sees fireworks.

Early May The Celtics sit at home watching Cleveland and Indiana play an entertaining second round series, bounced again in the 1st round, this time by the 2nd-seeded Atlanta Hawks in 6 games. The Boston area is buzzing about the possibility of adding Ben Simmons, who is drawing comparisons to two players Isaiah Thomas is grouchily watching on his curved 3D TV: LeBron James and Paul George. Brooklyn has finished with the 3rd worst record in the league.

Late May Danny started off with 156 ping pong balls and a dream, and ends up with the 5th pick in the Draft.

June 15th Leading up to the Draft, the Celts fall in love with Jamal Murray in workouts. Houston, who has been calling for AB since early January, gets word of our man-crush and gives it another go with Danny, bringing in Philadelphia for a 3-teamer that nets them AB. A trade is agreed upon and executed on in the hours before the Draft:

June 23rd, 3 P.M.

Boston trades: Avery Bradley
and receives: Clint Capela, 2018 HOU 1 (lotto-protected)

Houston trades: Ty Lawson, Capela, protected 2018 HOU 1, 2016 NYK 2, 2017 POR 2
and receives: AB, Carl Landry

Philadelphia trades: Carl Landry
and receives: Ty Lawson, 2016 NYK 2, 2017 POR 2

HOU's rotation (to expand on the logic of trading for AB):

Harden/Beverley
AB/Corey Brewer
Ariza/Sam Dekker/KJ McDaniels
Terrence Jones/Montrezl Harrell
Dwight Howard/Motiejunas

AB guards opposing PGs, Harden guards opposing SGs, Harden runs the offense.

There is another trade rumored to be brewing in the weeks before the draft. The Sacramento Kings have missed the playoffs again, and DeMarcus Cousins is again painted as a failed superstar. His coach doesn't back him up, saying after their final game in mid-April that their team "lacks leadership." This angers Rondo as well, who considers relocating yet again as a free agent. Rumors that the Kings have fallen in love with Skal Labissiere upset Cousins, who -- if he hasn't before -- demands a trade. Sacramento laments his decreased trade value, but, in typical Sacramento fashion, makes a hasty decision after a dazzling 2nd look at Labissiere in a private gym. On draft night, Danny launches his second strike of the evening.

June 23rd, 6:55 P.M.

Boston deals: Amir Johnson, Kelly Olynyk, James Young, Terry Rozier, 2016 DAL 1, 2016 BOS 1, and 2017 better of BOS/BKN 1sts
and receives: DeMarcus Cousins. '

The trade is announced with 10 minutes left to go before the 1st selection is made.

June 23rd, 7:32 P.M. Celtics take Jamal Murray.

June 30th The Mavericks missed the playoffs and finished with the 11th worst record in the league. The Dirk tide shifts, and Cuban is no longer sold on riding off into the sunset with Dirk, now that he controls the destiny of Dallas' 2017 1st. Dirk is traded to Washington for Otto Porter, Kelly Oubre and picks, and Washington salivates imagining an LA-based corporate office in which they greet Kevin Durant armed with John Wall, Brad Beal and Dirk.

July 2nd Dallas' blowup continues. The Celtics realize their attempts to snag Harrison Barnes, one way or the other, have failed or will fail. Chandler Parsons name has been circulating around the market for a little under a week, and Danny makes his final significant move of the summer.

Boston signs-and-trades: Jared Sullinger, Houston's protected 2018 1st and Boston's selections with the 2016 PHI and MIN 2nds
and receives: Chandler Parsons.

Boston lets Evan Turner and David Lee walk. To cap off the summer, Boston brings in Miles "Tyler Zeller" Plumlee for 3y/$14m. Despite a marvelous summer, half of CB forums lambaste Danny for trading Zeller only to bring in Miles Plumlee.

2015-16 CELTICS ROTATION

Jamal Murray/Isaiah Thomas
Marcus Smart/R.J. Hunter
Chandler Parsons/Jae Crowder
DeMarcus Cousins/Jordan Mickey
Clint Capela/Miles Plumlee

3rd string: Jerebko, our selections with remaining 2nd rounders

July 4th

If you have the time, think about your ideal scenario in which we can't get Simmons or any other F/C in the Draft, and have to take a guard.

Draft: 8 first rounders in next 5 years.

Cap space: $24 mil.

https://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague/

Re: Our Permanent Guard Rotation
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2015, 12:56:42 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Another novel from TheFlex.  :D

I'll read it when I get the chance.  Looking forward to it.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2015, 12:59:16 PM »

Offline perks-a-beast

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 224
no way we get Cousins without surrendering the Nets pick this year. That might be our most valuable asset to be honest.

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2015, 01:04:44 PM »

Offline TheFlex

• Jim Loscutoff
Another novel from TheFlex.  :D

I'll read it when I get the chance.  Looking forward to it.

I can't think about one player I want on the Celts without unraveling into drivel about how we can construct a whole roster around this player  8)

no way we get Cousins without surrendering the Nets pick this year. That might be our most valuable asset to be honest.

That's the beauty of the narrative. Cousins misses the playoffs again and publicly demands a trade. Sacramento doesn't get a Kevin Love-type offer for him and impatiently moves on to make room for Labissiere and WCS.

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2015, 01:11:59 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
To much wishful thinking about Cousins and selling low on AB. Will take more legit assets for Cousins deal as 2017 Brooklyn pick isn't tradeable as it is a pick swap. But DA would still take Murray he has shown he loves hoarding guards. Just this past draft I myself would have preferred we have Portis, Hunter, Mickey, DJ. Instead DA gave us Rozier, Hunter, Mickey, Thornton. Three guards!

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2015, 01:22:09 PM »

Offline TheFlex

• Jim Loscutoff
To much wishful thinking about Cousins and selling low on AB. Will take more legit assets for Cousins deal as 2017 Brooklyn pick isn't tradeable as it is a pick swap. But DA would still take Murray he has shown he loves hoarding guards. Just this past draft I myself would have preferred we have Portis, Hunter, Mickey, DJ. Instead DA gave us Rozier, Hunter, Mickey, Thornton. Three guards!

I think if Cousins' trade value was as high as fans think it is, Sacramento would have dealt him already. The Love-to-Cleveland trade seems to have misled fans. That was a special circumstance in which Cleveland was expected to move hastily to please the best player in the world, LeBron James. If they weren't rushing to appease Bron-Bron, I bet they take those negotiations further into the season and test Minnesota's patience, if they would have even wanted to move Wiggins at all. Props to Flip (RIP) for pulling off the deal, but lots of luck was on Minny's side.

The Kings are probably hoping they make a playoff push and can keep him, or if not, at least his trade value will have increased because he led a team to the playoffs. They've won a few games (but lost their last contest vs. Charlotte), but Sacramento still has the most dysfunctional front office in the game and one of the most toxic locker rooms in the league. If they miss the playoffs again, Rondo becomes a free agent, and the Kings are armed with a pick in a Draft full of prospects that could replace Cousins, I would be shocked if Sacramento and Cousins didn't come to a mutual agreement to move him over the summer. If that information leaks -- which it will, thanks to the sheer size of Sacramento's unprofessional executive group -- don't expect teams to offer up a Klay Thompson or Andrew Wiggins for Cousins.

edit: selling low on AB? We get a prospect not much less shiny than Nerlens Noel, a 1st rounder, and millions in cap relief.

2nd edit: the 2017 BKN swap is tradeable. Boston can offer the more favorable of 2017 BOS & BKN 1sts.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2015, 03:23:32 PM by TheFlex »

« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2015, 01:37:26 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
Tp for the well thought out scenarios.

My ideal scenario is plugging Simmons and Barnes into our starting lineup.

Short of either of those happening I think the C's will be looking to upgrade at the 3,4 and/or 5. A go to scorer would be a good fit at any position but unless the Raptors don't want to max DeRozan I don't see one that could be available.

Realistically (if the C's don't make a trade before the offseason) the C's will let Zeller, Lee and Jerebko walk in favor of adding Jaylen Brown, Cheick Diallo and a 2nd tier big ticket free agent (all extra picks will be draft and stash players or traded for future picks. The two most attainable free agents I could see being available are DeRozan and Dwight. Also watch out for Ryan Anderson in free agency he could be a great floor spacer in our system.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2015, 01:45:47 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson

I think if Cousins' trade value was as high as fans think it is, Sacramento would have dealt him already. The Love-to-Cleveland trade seems to have misled fans. That was a special circumstance in which Cleveland was expected to move hastily to please the best player in the world, LeBron James. If they weren't rushing to appease Bron-Bron, I bet they take those negotiations further into the season and test Minnesota's patience, if they would have even wanted to move Wiggins at all. Props to Flip (RIP) for pulling off the deal, but lots of luck was on Minny's side.

The Kings are probably hoping they make a playoff push and can keep him, or if not, at least his trade value will have increased because he led a team to the playoffs. They've won a few games (but lost their last contest vs. Charlotte), but Sacramento still has the most dysfunctional front office in the game and one of the most toxic locker rooms in the league. If they miss the playoffs again, Rondo becomes a free agent, and the Kings are armed with a pick in a Draft full of prospects that could replace Cousins, I would be shocked if Sacramento and Cousins came to a mutual agreement to move him over the summer. If that information leaks -- which it will, thanks to the sheer size of Sacramento's unprofessional executive group -- don't expect teams to offer up a Klay Thompson or Andrew Wiggins for Cousins.

edit: selling low on AB? We get a prospect not much less shiny than Nerlens Noel, a 1st rounder, and millions in cap relief.

2nd edit: the 2017 BKN swap is tradeable. Boston can offer the more favorable of 2017 BOS & BKN 1sts.
I was told swaps don't work like that. That is only for picks already credited to teams. Swaps happen on draft night and therefore count as own picks and not a two year trade violation the only draw back is the rights can't be traded. Thus you can't trade it.

AB for a prospect clearly not as good as Noel and a likely low first is selling low on AB.

« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2015, 03:14:46 PM »

Offline TheFlex

• Jim Loscutoff

The Kings are probably hoping they make a playoff push and can keep him, or if not, at least his trade value will have increased because he led a team to the playoffs. They've won a few games (but lost their last contest vs. Charlotte), but Sacramento still has the most dysfunctional front office in the game and one of the most toxic locker rooms in the league. If they miss the playoffs again, Rondo becomes a free agent, and the Kings are armed with a pick in a Draft full of prospects that could replace Cousins, I would be shocked if Sacramento and Cousins came to a mutual agreement to move him over the summer. If that information leaks -- which it will, thanks to the sheer size of Sacramento's unprofessional executive group -- don't expect teams to offer up a Klay Thompson or Andrew Wiggins for Cousins.

I was told swaps don't work like that. That is only for picks already credited to teams. Swaps happen on draft night and therefore count as own picks and not a two year trade violation the only draw back is the rights can't be traded. Thus you can't trade it.

AB for a prospect clearly not as good as Noel and a likely low first is selling low on AB.

No, that is untrue. For example, Denver has the right to swap 1sts with NYK in 2016. The Knicks also have an obligation to send out their 1st to Toronto this year. The deal was framed with the condition that the Knicks would send Toronto the less favorable selection between Denver and New York's 1st. Teams may agree to conditions in which they send a pick whose owner is undetermined with language such as "the more favorable of..." or "less favorable of..."

You're criminally underrated Capela. As a 20-year-old he earned legitimate minutes on a contending team in Houston. He has now seen his minutes increase and is an efficiency wonder down low at 21-years-old. He has the potential to be a game-changer defensively with his athleticism, a beast on the boards and a super-efficient low-post option. Basically a DeAndre Jordan who is developing far quicker than DeAndre did. You also again ignore the financial benefit of swapping Bradley's contract for Capela's, in the short term.

« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2015, 12:29:39 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson

No, that is untrue. For example, Denver has the right to swap 1sts with NYK in 2016. The Knicks also have an obligation to send out their 1st to Toronto this year. The deal was framed with the condition that the Knicks would send Toronto the less favorable selection between Denver and New York's 1st. Teams may agree to conditions in which they send a pick whose owner is undetermined with language such as "the more favorable of..." or "less favorable of..."

You're criminally underrated Capela. As a 20-year-old he earned legitimate minutes on a contending team in Houston. He has now seen his minutes increase and is an efficiency wonder down low at 21-years-old. He has the potential to be a game-changer defensively with his athleticism, a beast on the boards and a super-efficient low-post option. Basically a DeAndre Jordan who is developing far quicker than DeAndre did. You also again ignore the financial benefit of swapping Bradley's contract for Capela's, in the short term.

That is Knicks trading their own pick if Denver doesn't claim. Not sure that is the same. As for Capela I seen plenty of him he isn't a star. I think you are under selling AB and I'm not a big fan of AB to begin with. If you want a defensive big with some potential draft one this up coming draft there are a few who should be available. Capela will need a new contract much like Jordan 1st resign did in which he isn't good yet but you have to gamble and pay him like he is to keep him. Too much risk vs reward.

« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2015, 12:57:43 AM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
I was quite enjoying this read until I saw the part where we acquire Chandler Parsons - I stopped there, feeling too sick to continue reading!

No disrespect intended (we all have the right to our views/preferences!) but if Parsons ended up here I would be very, very upset.  :(