Author Topic: Oladipo benched.  (Read 9084 times)

Re: Oladipo benched.
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2015, 01:39:04 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Isn't Oladipo the same as AB with better handles but worse jump shot. And we need more shooting not less. No thanks

Bigger, more athletic, far better dribbler, driver, and playmaker.  You know how we talk about how Avery doesn't have enough in his game when his jumper isn't falling?  Oladipo has all the things Avery is missing.  So long as his jumper comes along, he'll be a really excellent player. 

Put him on a team with better shooting around him and I suspect his jumper wouldn't seem so bad.  It's tough playing Oladipo next to a total non-shooter like Payton.
So he is an inch taller

6'4'' 210 lbs versus 6'2'' 180 lbs
So a little bigger not a tad bigger got it. I'm still taking AB. Victor is a career mason.

« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2015, 01:40:37 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2932
Bradley might make some sense for them if they're wanting a vet who would be willing to come off of the bench. Orlando is going to have a serious problem paying all of these guys, because they have quite a few pieces that are good, but not quite elite, prospects that will still demand top dollar. Perhaps swapping Oladipo for Bradley and the Dallas pick is a way to get: A) more vet presences in the locker room, B) a cost-controlled talent in Bradley, and C) a better control on the rotations and roster.

I wouldn't offer up anything more than Bradley and one of those picks for him, though. Though Oladipo is a year and a half younger with better play-making abilities and ball-handling skills, AB is a far superior shooter and a better defender, though Oladipo is no slouch defensively. It would be interesting to see Oladipo next to Smart, though. That could be a potentially destructive two-way backcourt with great size, though the lack of elite shooting worries me.

« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2015, 01:41:17 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Skiles should be putting those players in the best position to win games, which isn't necessarily going to be the same as putting them in the best position to maximize their individual numbers.

I agree that it's important for that team to start learning how to win.  More important than individual numbers.  But the issue with Skiles seems to be that he's not very good at getting the wins in the present while also keeping in mind a blueprint for the future.

Hiring Skiles to teach your guys to play quality defense and give 100% effort is a good idea, in theory.  But if it's not done in a way that helps you get a better sense of how your young pieces could succeed together, it's not worth much.

The Magic aren't really learning anything about how they're going to find success in the future by keeping Hezonja and Gordon nailed to the bench, and using Oladipo as a sixth man, while giving minutes to CJ Watson, Channing Frye, Andrew Nicholson, and Jason Smith.

A good development coach designs his game plan to maximize the strengths of those core pieces playing on the floor together.  A short sighted coach decides they're not ready and benches them in favor of more traditional veterans with established skillsets.
You値l have to excuse my lengthiness葉he reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2015, 01:45:21 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
Isn't Oladipo the same as AB with better handles but worse jump shot. And we need more shooting not less. No thanks

Bigger, more athletic, far better dribbler, driver, and playmaker.  You know how we talk about how Avery doesn't have enough in his game when his jumper isn't falling?  Oladipo has all the things Avery is missing.  So long as his jumper comes along, he'll be a really excellent player. 

Put him on a team with better shooting around him and I suspect his jumper wouldn't seem so bad.  It's tough playing Oladipo next to a total non-shooter like Payton.
So he is an inch taller

So a little bigger not a tad bigger got it. I'm still taking AB. Victor is a career mason.

Through his first two seasons Oladipo was a much more accomplished perimeter shooter than Avery was at the same point in his career.  AB didn't even really shoot threes regularly until his third season, and he averaged 31.7% that year.
You値l have to excuse my lengthiness葉he reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2015, 01:46:30 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
It would be interesting to see Oladipo next to Smart, though. That could be a potentially destructive two-way backcourt with great size, though the lack of elite shooting worries me.

My thoughts, too. Could be dynamite, or dreadful.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #20 on: November 25, 2015, 01:48:53 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson

So he is an inch taller

Through his first two seasons Oladipo was a much more accomplished perimeter shooter than Avery was at the same point in his career.  AB didn't even really shoot threes regularly until his third season, and he averaged 31.7% that year.
AB was a lot younger as a rookie so there was more room to grow.

« Reply #21 on: November 25, 2015, 01:50:10 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
It would be interesting to see Oladipo next to Smart, though. That could be a potentially destructive two-way backcourt with great size, though the lack of elite shooting worries me.

I think there'd be nights when they'd brick up the joint.  You probably couldn't play them alongside Crowder long term, but -- as much as I love what Crowder's done this year -- we need to upgrade the 3 position eventually with a more dangerous scorer, anyway.

If Smart is going to be our starting point guard, though, we need a much more dynamic ball-handling presence next to him than Avery Bradley.  We need somebody who can attack and get to the line, especially since Smart hasn't shown the propensity to do that, yet. 

I believe Oladipo's shooting will improve, though perhaps it'll never be quite as good as Bradley's.  So long as he continues to be an effective attacker, Oladipo's other strengths will more than make up for that, I think.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #22 on: November 25, 2015, 01:51:57 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish

So he is an inch taller

That's true, Avery was younger.  His jumpshot form always looked pretty good, too.  My point is, it's way too early to proclaim Oladipo a career bricklayer.  In his first two seasons as the primary scoring option for a team lacking shooting he's been pretty close to break-even on 3 attempts or so a game.  That's pretty good for a "bad" shooter.  Similar to our own Mr. Smart.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #23 on: November 25, 2015, 02:05:20 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson

So he is an inch taller

That's true, Avery was younger.  His jumpshot form always looked pretty good, too.  My point is, it's way too early to proclaim Oladipo a career bricklayer.  In his first two seasons as the primary scoring option for a team lacking shooting he's been pretty close to break-even on 3 attempts or so a game.  That's pretty good for a "bad" shooter.  Similar to our own Mr. Smart.
Still doesn't change my point in the original statement we need more shooting not less. AB is the better shooter so I'd keep AB. At the very least if someone said take this deal straight up I might consider it but giving up the better player "for our team" and a pick is nuts. Oladipo just doesn't cut it. And unless you can space the floor he will be very bad with his handling and play making as well which is the case in Orlando this year which is why the benching has come up. He isn't the future with them so why would he be with us? We both lack good shooting.

« Reply #24 on: November 25, 2015, 02:05:48 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
Orlando drafted pieces that do not fit well together - E.Payton, V.Oladipo (SG), A.Gordon (SF)

They were always going to have problems like this.

« Reply #25 on: November 25, 2015, 02:14:05 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
I'd be thrilled if Orlando is dumb enough to trade him.  Oladipo is a legitimate talent.  He'd be really fun in our starting lineup alongside Smart and Crowder.

Offer Bradley, Rozier and a couple picks for Oladipo and Watson.

And Kids, this is why you don't hire PhoSita as our GM...
If I had to choose between PhoSita or Scott Skiles and the only info I had on them was that Skiles benched Oladipo for Frye and PhoSita proposed that trade I'd go with Pho and never look back.....I might look into the phrase "a couple picks".  I'd say "heavily protected firsts or 2nds right?"

« Reply #26 on: November 25, 2015, 02:15:37 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish

Still doesn't change my point in the original statement we need more shooting not less.

I think it's likely that trading Bradley for Oladipo could hurt our team in the present, but that doesn't really concern me.  In my opinion it's a pretty major upgrade in talent, which makes it exactly the kind of move this team needs to make.

I think Smart - Oladipo could flourish together in the future, despite concerns about their shooting, and that's really all that matters to me.  How Oladipo fits with the other guys in the rotation isn't that important to me, since I think most of them won't be here in a couple years anyhow.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #27 on: November 25, 2015, 02:17:26 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
I might look into the phrase "a couple picks".  I'd say "heavily protected firsts or 2nds right?"

I was thinking something like Mavericks 2016 + Timberwolves 2016.  Oladipo's far better than anybody we're likely to take with those picks (especially since the Minny pick is probably gonna be 2 second rounders).  The Dallas pick is looking like a lock for #15-20.  We need to shed some of these picks one way or another, regardless.  Don't have roster spots for another wave of might-be-role-players.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #28 on: November 25, 2015, 02:19:18 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
Orlando drafted pieces that do not fit well together - E.Payton, V.Oladipo (SG), A.Gordon (SF)

Actually Oladipo is the only one I don't like much. Gordon is very young so needs another year. Payton can setup guys nicely and is a Rondo type PG. Vucevic is a solid Big. Mario looks ok so far.

« Reply #29 on: November 25, 2015, 02:22:30 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish

I have a feeling Payton and Oladipo will never be a great fit together, but I don't see why Gordon can't do OK.  If Gordon develops the way they hope defensively, he'll really complement Harris, who is a problem defensively at the 3.

Vucevic seems like the biggest problem for them fit-wise, though.  Their other pieces seem prime for an up-tempo, open-space system, but Vooch is a plodder.
- Mark Twain