Poll

What happens if the Celts lose tonight?

Hot, sticky blood rains from the sky.
2 (7.1%)
Brad Stevens, overcome with rage, violently transforms into a werebeast and eats the team.
8 (28.6%)
Jared Sullinger, overcome with despair, eats the team.
7 (25%)
The crust of the earth cracks beneath TD Garden and the entire arena descends into Hell.
4 (14.3%)
A frighteningly pale Brett Brown tears off his shirt to reveal the dark, gaping hole where his heart once was, and bellows in a voice too loud and deep to be human, "IT WAS WORTH IT."
7 (25%)

Total Members Voted: 28

Author Topic: What happens if the Celtics lose tonight?  (Read 6255 times)

Re: What happens if the Celtics lose tonight?
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2015, 02:55:16 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Celtics are 11 point favorites tonight. Would be one of bigger upsets of season if it happens. I am actually feeling better about it after the loss last night as I think the guys will come out with some extra fire from getting their tails kicked. My worst nightmare is us losing somehow and everyone on the 76ers playing great. This board would never hear the end of it.

Side note: Kind of interesting in seeing if Stauskas is as big a bust as his numbers are indicating. He is supposed to be good at one thing, shooting, and is now shooting 33% on the year and 28% from 3. He seems to quietly be going down as an epic bust.

It could be a Jimmer situation, but on the other hand, even really good shooters can look like bad ones if they're on a team that never gives them any space or time to shoot.

Taking Stauskas top 10 always seemed like a reach to me.  Not exactly a surprise given that it was Sacramento.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2015, 03:37:35 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
Celtics are 11 point favorites tonight. Would be one of bigger upsets of season if it happens. I am actually feeling better about it after the loss last night as I think the guys will come out with some extra fire from getting their tails kicked. My worst nightmare is us losing somehow and everyone on the 76ers playing great. This board would never hear the end of it.

Side note: Kind of interesting in seeing if Stauskas is as big a bust as his numbers are indicating. He is supposed to be good at one thing, shooting, and is now shooting 33% on the year and 28% from 3. He seems to quietly be going down as an epic bust.

It could be a Jimmer situation, but on the other hand, even really good shooters can look like bad ones if they're on a team that never gives them any space or time to shoot.

Taking Stauskas top 10 always seemed like a reach to me.  Not exactly a surprise given that it was Sacramento.

I have tossed this one around in my head a little bit. On one hand I think Philly probably has some pretty horrible floor spacing and no point guards. However, they do have other shooters (like Moranis favorite Hollis Thompson) that have still shot a respectable %. There is also the fact that a number of their games have become really big blowouts when generally the defense eases up a bit in the second half in particular. Regardless of situation, 27% is really brutal.

« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2015, 03:58:31 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544

I have tossed this one around in my head a little bit. On one hand I think Philly probably has some pretty horrible floor spacing and no point guards. However, they do have other shooters (like Moranis favorite Hollis Thompson) that have still shot a respectable %. There is also the fact that a number of their games have become really big blowouts when generally the defense eases up a bit in the second half in particular. Regardless of situation, 27% is really brutal.

Hollis Thompson is an interesting player. I'd love to see him on a better team, I think he could be a very useful player off the bench for a contender.   Say what you will about the rest of his game, but the man is top notch shooter. Being able to consistently shoot 40% from three on a bad team like the Sixers, especially with so few other perimeter threats on the roster, is no small feat. He'll also give you 4 or 5 rebounds and 1 or 2 assists and a steal. As a 25 min a night bench player on a team with better surrounding talent, that is useful.

Which kind of illustrates just how bad Stauskas has been, especially considering where he was drafted. He's being outplayed be an undrafted career bench player. The hype on this kid was always unwarranted, but I never thought he'd be this bad.

« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2015, 04:02:09 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
- the wrists of those predicting this team to win 50 games, win the Atlantic and/or be a top 4 seed in the East will all be slit.
- The few diehard tankaholics will shed a tear of joy while channeling their best Jim Carrey "So there's a chance?!"
- people that pegged this team as a .500 team at best will be disappointed that they still lost to the Sixers but chalk it up to a team of role players playing like role players -- inconsistent in their performance and this is one of those low performance nights

« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2015, 04:06:57 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
I don't think there's any possible way we lose this game.  This isn't a team like Brooklyn who is underrated in terms of talent.  This is two young centers who can't play together, and a team full of D-leaguers.   At this point, any Philly win would shock me.    If Stauskas starts rolling and Wroten/Marshall show up next month making impacts, you might see a couple Philly wins, but not now.

« Reply #20 on: November 25, 2015, 04:07:19 PM »

Offline TheFlex

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 367
The sun will rise and we'll still have a high-lotto pick in our pocket without having to pillage our roster to get it.

Draft: 8 first rounders in next 5 years.

Cap space: $24 mil.

https://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague/

« Reply #21 on: November 25, 2015, 04:16:41 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
I can easily see this game either being a Celtics loss, or a Celtics blow out. We'll see if the team bring better energy and focus tonight.

I also wouldn't be surprised to see RoCo go off tonight and make Celtics fans say, "who???". Probably the only other legit starter on the team besides Okafor/Noel.

« Reply #22 on: November 25, 2015, 04:18:37 PM »

Offline TheFlex

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 367
I can easily see this game either being a Celtics loss, or a Celtics blow out. We'll see if the team bring better energy and focus tonight.

I also wouldn't be surprised to see RoCo go off tonight and make Celtics fans say, "who???". Probably the only other legit starter on the team besides Okafor/Noel.

"Starter" is an arbitrary term, and RoCo might not even fit the kindest of its definitions. I would call him a "rotation player."

Draft: 8 first rounders in next 5 years.

Cap space: $24 mil.

https://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague/

« Reply #23 on: November 25, 2015, 04:23:54 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey

"Starter" is an arbitrary term, and RoCo might not even fit the kindest of its definitions. I would call him a "rotation player."

I think Covington could easily be the 4th or 5th best starter on a quality team.

« Reply #24 on: November 25, 2015, 04:58:18 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386

I think Covington could easily be the 4th or 5th best starter on a quality team.

is that you moranis?

« Reply #25 on: November 25, 2015, 05:20:18 PM »

Offline CelticGuardian

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 43
  • Blood. Sweat. & Tears.
If the team is a contender they will have to validate all of the anti-tankers with a win tonight. I guess you can be happy with .500 basketball.

« Reply #26 on: November 25, 2015, 05:21:01 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup
....the Sixers will have gained ground on the Nets  :-\
Yup

« Reply #27 on: November 25, 2015, 05:21:38 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
CBS will have a panic attack

« Reply #28 on: November 25, 2015, 05:49:23 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
We'll be 7-8 and PHI will be 1-16.

And by the end of the season, we'd have STILL won 45-50 games (if not slightly more) and PHI would've STILL won no more than 15 games - and THAT is a stretch.

No game is a GIVEN - the Celtics Championship season of 1986 taught me that. That GREAT team went 41-1 at home - losing an IMPROBABLE game to the Portland Trailblazers. I NEVER saw that one coming, and was frustrated about it. May have been one of Sam Bowie's best games ever.

But anyways life goes on - even IF they lose tonight. BOS still has a bright season (and future) ahead of them.

« Reply #29 on: November 25, 2015, 06:04:25 PM »

Offline LatterDayCelticsfan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 171
  • Community Text
This thread has got me thinking if the Tekken video game series, with all the major characters seemingly becoming demons and ogres at some stage.
Banner 18 please 😍