Author Topic: Give Mickey a run  (Read 14060 times)

Re: Give Mickey a run
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2015, 12:27:52 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Triboy,

After the first few games Mickey gets a run, when it happens , I will be looking out for your reaction. You will like it

Lookin' forward to it buddy. :)
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2015, 12:32:05 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Trade Sully already and give Mickey his minutes.

« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2015, 12:33:03 PM »

Offline Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1674
He has the explosiveness, all around defense, shot blocking, underrated offensive tools to help this team.  Jerebko has made insignificant impact these days. Sullinger looks tired.

Why not sit jerebko for a game or two and give Mickey a run.
The problem is, half of Jerebko's minutes are at the 3 and Mickey can't play the 3. Jerebko has played much better at the 4. So really I would be looking for a wing to replace Jerebko's minutes at the 3.

Mickey can't play the 3? If jerebko can, so can mickey. Mickey is a better/quicker perimeter defender than any of the bigs we have.   But then you are under utilizing his ability to protect the rim

Of course he can't. He'll get torched defending good 3's, he has no handles, and can't stretch the floor. Triboy, this isn't a video game. Learning how to avoid/read/chase guys through screens on the perimeter is different than defending the post or hedging out on high pick and rolls.

I have some optimism for Mickey with regards to floor spacing.  He's working on the outside shot in the D-League, and though 'small sample size' applies, early returns have been promising. 

Having said that, I agree completely with your point.  He's not a 3.  He lacks the developed skillset to be a 3, and if we were to try to turn him into a 3, then we'd be marginalizing his most valuable NBA skill, rim protection. 

He has the potential to turn into a good big.  Let him develop into a good big.  It would be pointless to shoehorn him into a role for which he's not well-suited. 

« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2015, 12:36:24 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
He has the explosiveness, all around defense, shot blocking, underrated offensive tools to help this team.  Jerebko has made insignificant impact these days. Sullinger looks tired.

Why not sit jerebko for a game or two and give Mickey a run.
The problem is, half of Jerebko's minutes are at the 3 and Mickey can't play the 3. Jerebko has played much better at the 4. So really I would be looking for a wing to replace Jerebko's minutes at the 3.

Mickey can't play the 3? If jerebko can, so can mickey. Mickey is a better/quicker perimeter defender than any of the bigs we have.   But then you are under utilizing his ability to protect the rim

Of course he can't. He'll get torched defending good 3's, he has no handles, and can't stretch the floor. Triboy, this isn't a video game. Learning how to avoid/read/chase guys through screens on the perimeter is different than defending the post or hedging out on high pick and rolls.

I have some optimism for Mickey with regards to floor spacing.  He's working on the outside shot in the D-League, and though 'small sample size' applies, early returns have been promising. 

Having said that, I agree completely with your point.  He's not a 3.  He lacks the developed skillset to be a 3, and if we were to try to turn him into a 3, then we'd be marginalizing his most valuable NBA skill, rim protection. 

He has the potential to turn into a good big.  Let him develop into a good big.  It would be pointless to shoehorn him into a role for which he's not well-suited.

« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2015, 12:38:54 PM »

Offline Hemingway

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 123
No. Jerebko has been playing mostly the 3, with Johnson, Sullinger, Lee, and Olynyk at the 4/5 spots. Mickey can't play the 3 on either end and he isn't better than any of the four players I mentioned at the 4/5. D League is where he belongs.

As for Jerebko, he's been flat out abysmal.

Short memories. A few games back it seemed like every time he stepped on the court something good happened.

« Reply #20 on: November 25, 2015, 12:39:29 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867

And also Zeller.

« Reply #21 on: November 25, 2015, 12:42:01 PM »

Offline Hemingway

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 123
To be more on topic, the reason Mickey isn't getting a run yet is Zeller. He has talent and is not really playing. From an asset management perspective, we have a few months to figure out what to do with him and years to figure out what to do with Mickey.

« Reply #22 on: November 25, 2015, 12:51:18 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
No. Jerebko has been playing mostly the 3, with Johnson, Sullinger, Lee, and Olynyk at the 4/5 spots. Mickey can't play the 3 on either end and he isn't better than any of the four players I mentioned at the 4/5. D League is where he belongs.

Short memories. A few games back it seemed like every time he stepped on the court something good happened.

He's been awful. He can't hit a shot. I love his hustle, but the guy can't make anything this season.

FG% 38.1 (last 10 games 31%)
3PT% 25.0

« Reply #23 on: November 25, 2015, 12:56:26 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

He's been awful. He can't hit a shot. I love his hustle, but the guy can't make anything this season.

FG% 38.1 (last 10 games 31%)
3PT% 25.0

To Jerebkos defense he barely gets any touches. Especially when IT is on the court.  We all know Jerebko can hit the open 3.  This issue is also on cbs

« Reply #24 on: November 25, 2015, 12:57:52 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289

And also Zeller.
Feel bad about Zeller the whole contract mess is ruining his focus. He should have just agreeded to an extension. Oh well

« Reply #25 on: November 25, 2015, 01:11:37 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

And also Zeller.
Feel bad about Zeller the whole contract mess is ruining his focus. He should have just agreeded to an extension. Oh well

Don't even think he got an offer.

Basically play for your life for your next deal.   If he can't handle the pressure and learn to separate business and playing ball, he won't last in this league

It's sad he went from starting to being a cheerleader

« Reply #26 on: November 25, 2015, 01:26:07 PM »

Offline Jon

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 385
As others have said, it's just not going to happen. And it shouldn't. Even if we were to imagine that Mickey is everything that Triboy thinks he is at this very second, what does it really matter? This team still wouldn't be a contender. And sitting Lee or Olynyk would only hurt our chances of raising their value as part of a future deal.

The smarter thing is to play the vets, build their value, and then when a trade happens or an injury occurs, then give Mickey a shot. There's no rush; we have him locked up at a team friendly deal.

« Reply #27 on: November 25, 2015, 04:40:07 PM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
Danny is showcasing the vets to be traded at the deadline.
Then Mickey gets to play in the second half.

« Reply #28 on: November 25, 2015, 05:21:54 PM »

Offline CelticGuardian

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 43
  • Blood. Sweat. & Tears.

You a close confidant or something?

« Reply #29 on: November 25, 2015, 05:50:37 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 742
That would be smart. There are going to be teams looking for bench depth mid season and then Celtics will have options for them. I'd love to see some of the young guys in the second half.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008