Author Topic: Brad rips the team after Hawks loss (video)  (Read 3131 times)

Re: Brad rips the team after Hawks loss (video)
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2015, 01:43:19 AM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277
How about it's everyone? That's what I feel are main culprits.

« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2015, 01:53:34 AM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906
How about it's everyone? That's what I feel are main culprits.

I don't think it's everyone, though. As you mentioned previously, surely you can't fault Bradley, and you can say what you want about Smart's defense, but you'll never question if he's playing hard.

The way he was talking about people playing individually and "on an island" does seem like it's pointing to certain individuals, and most likely that individual is IT.

Maybe it's time to start playing the rookies a little more. Both Hunter and Rozier are high character kids, and I'm guessing they'll bust their arse when they're in there.

« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2015, 02:37:46 AM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471
The Stevens era so far is defined by two things.

1.  The tremendous run to end last season.

2.  Tremendous inconsistency the rest of the time.  I've never seen another team that repeatedly plays so well and then plays so poorly.

Stevens has to get credit for the former but blame for the latter.

Mike

« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2015, 02:41:45 AM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389

2.  Tremendous inconsistency the rest of the time.  I've never seen another team that repeatedly plays so well and then plays so poorly.

Mike

Is it really his fault? The team is so void of talent that the losses aren't surprising, yet the wins against projected playoff teams are. Seems like he runs a tighter ship than most, actually.. perhaps due to the lack of high-end talent (mixed with college pedigree, obviously).

It's hard to imagine we're playing in the same league as teams like GSW, CLE, etc. The drop-off in talent is absurd. I argue almost daily now that we should max out GSW's arguably 4th option, and biases aside, I mean it. Whether or not folks agree with the overpay, it'd probably be seen as a unanimous improvement to our team. That's crazy.
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2015, 03:04:01 AM »

Offline CelticSooner

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 866
  • GOT IT!!!

Mike

When you have a team full of role players this what you get. Playing great defense is one thing but if you don't have enough players that can consistently put the ball into the hoop it won't matter.

« Reply #20 on: November 25, 2015, 03:18:04 AM »

Offline redrobot

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 4
Clearly they miss Smart's leadership. Also either IT or Avery need to come off the bench for some offensive spark.

« Reply #21 on: November 25, 2015, 03:28:28 AM »

Offline Sketch5

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280

Mike

When you have a team full of role players this what you get. Playing great defense is one thing but if you don't have enough players that can consistently put the ball into the hoop it won't matter.

Yeah, I think it was Miller that said the team if full of great "6th man" guys, and plays good D, but with out a superstar to lead the offense when the D gets them close in a come back it makes it really tough to when those games.

The last couple games has shown how much Smart can effect the game on both ends even if it doesn't show up in box scores, and how much IT is better off the bench. KO didn't show up tonight, Lee played better but not great, Turner was okay, average night for him. Bradely first half was great, second back to normal. Sully, not sure were he was most of the night. Crowder jacks up to many out side shots. At least Hunter played pretty well, usually does, made some great shots and passes. One bright spot for tonight.

« Reply #22 on: November 25, 2015, 03:58:35 AM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471

Mike

Is it really his fault? The team is so void of talent that the losses aren't surprising, yet the wins against projected playoff teams are.

That's heads I win, tails you lose.

Stevens gets credit for all the double digit leads the team has racked up under him.  But he also has to get the blame for the truly ridiculous number of times the team has imploded and wound up losing those games.  Stevens gets credit for the team playing some of the best defense in the league.  But he also gets the blame when, in literally just a couple weeks, they go from that to the atrocious defense we've seen the last two games.

Mike

« Reply #23 on: November 25, 2015, 04:37:31 AM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389

Mike

Is it really his fault? The team is so void of talent that the losses aren't surprising, yet the wins against projected playoff teams are.

That's heads I win, tails you lose.

Stevens gets credit for all the double digit leads the team has racked up under him.  But he also has to get the blame for the truly ridiculous number of times the team has imploded and wound up losing those games.  Stevens gets credit for the team playing some of the best defense in the league.  But he also gets the blame when, in literally just a couple weeks, they go from that to the atrocious defense we've seen the last two games.

Mike

You repeated yourself and added what you thought to be a cute metaphor.

Anything different in those 2 games, Mike? Smart doesn't just make a major individual contribution on D, but allows us to defend to our strengths. Without him, IT becomes a bigger liability and AB drops from a major plus to... even? Perhaps a minus? As a defensive-oriented team, the dominoes then fall as they will. If you want to minimize Smart's impact via (D)RPM, as has been done today, go ahead... yet those same stats have KO as the MVP, so you may want to proceed with caution there.

I'll toss you points -- Stevens seems to have lost the locker room this week. He's also being open about it, and took the blame upon himself in the end. But without a star, this team relies upon team play, primarily on the defensive end, and that's lost when our line-ups get twisted and you lose your buy-in. Is part of that on him? Sure, has to be. But to a limited extent, given he's already overachieving with 1/2 the wins we've collected through the 2nd half of last year. The roster sucks... blaming Stevens for it, though, is absurd. Dude pushed an unfamiliar group of scrubs to the playoffs last year, and despite a tougher East, probably will again this year if we're relatively healthy. You can blame DA, though, for a lack of talent if you wish. Where's McHale when we need him?!
« Last Edit: November 25, 2015, 04:44:20 AM by tarheelsxxiii »
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #24 on: November 25, 2015, 06:27:13 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
.  Tremendous inconsistency the rest of the time.  I've never seen another team that repeatedly plays so well and then plays so poorly.

I think we have played hard and most of the time above our talent level.  It is great when it works, but bad when it does not.

This is to be expected, we have a lot of bench level talent on this team.  He said "if we do not play well we will lose."   This speaks volumes about our need for a star.

Smart adds a lot of toughness on this team.

« Reply #25 on: November 25, 2015, 08:24:19 AM »

Offline OhioGreen

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 55
I definitely think IT is the problem!  Doc's "hero ball".  IT thinks he is a superstar and that he can do it all by himself anytime he's got the ball.  Teammates get tired of working their butts off on D, only to have to stand around and watch the IT Show on the other end, and then go back and work hard on D again.  When the D does break down, alot of it is on IT!  Sometimes his effort, and sometimes cause of his size.  It's easy for morale of the team to break down when this is happening continuously.  IT's intentions are good, but the effects are bad, and that's what I think BS is getting at with his comments last nite.  For the C's to win, EVERBODY needs to play within the flow of the game--play your guts out on D, move the ball to the open man on offense and hope the shots go down. If they do great, if they don't, it is more on the lack of talent on this team. 
This may be the reason IT has worn out his welcome elsewhere!

« Reply #26 on: November 25, 2015, 08:30:04 AM »

Offline Clench123

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
I wonder how much is Amir, too. Amir seems to be a high character guy, and I wouldn't think effort and energy would be a problem with him.

However, it honestly looks like he's just soft, soft, soft out there and not really playing with energy. Surely he can't be that old already that he's incapable of even looking like he's energetic.

I totally agree with you on this concerning Amir because I've noticed it as well.  The guy seem too soft to me.  There is a lot of half-ass effort in his defense or going for rebounds. 

Another one is David Lee.  I'm sorry but I've been disappointed with Lee since he got here.  Maybe it's age or something else but he's not what everyone was hyping him up to be to me. 

If these two additions are supposed to be the upgrade and they're not producing like they should, then I think we're in trouble.  It means there isn't much (if any) improvement from the squad we had last season.

Last night's loss is on everyone though, not mentioning Avery and RJ
« Last Edit: November 25, 2015, 08:49:20 AM by Clench123 »

I always said when I left the Celtics, I could not go to heaven, because that would
 be a step down. I am pure 100 percent Celtic. I think if you slashed my wrists, my
 blood would’ve been green.  -  Bill "Greatest of All Time" Russell

« Reply #27 on: November 25, 2015, 08:45:48 AM »

Offline apc

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 437
I wonder how much is Amir, too. Amir seems to be a high character guy, and I wouldn't think effort and energy would be a problem with him.

However, it honestly looks like he's just soft, soft, soft out there and not really playing with energy. Surely he can't be that old already that he's incapable of even looking like he's energetic.

I totally agree with you on this concerning Amir because I've noticed it as well.  The guy seem too soft to me.  There is a lot of half-ass effort in his defense or going for rebounds. 

Another one is David Lee.  I'm sorry but I've been disappointed with Lee since he got here.  Maybe it's age or something else but he's not what everyone was hyping him up to be to me. 

If these two additions are supposed to be the upgrades and they're not producing like they should, then I think we're in trouble.  It means there isn't much (if any) improvement from the squad we had last season.

Last night's loss is on everyone though, not mentioning Avery and RJ
I wouldn't say we are in trouble. both will expire in the end of the year. if they disappoint we replace them with our new picks or give Mickey a chance.
giving up Wallace for Lee was not a big loss.   

« Reply #28 on: November 25, 2015, 08:52:43 AM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
Brad needs to look in the mirror.
Turner and Bradley need to start with Thomas coming off the bench.
It's what we did last year, and it worked.
And start playing Mickey. We need some shot blocking on the front line.

« Reply #29 on: November 25, 2015, 08:57:49 AM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 391
The Hawks game was a reminder of just how potentially bad our team could be if we didn't bring the A+ effort every night. Note that I'm not discounting effort. I think hustle is actually a skill since not everybody has it. And for better or for worse, that's our team's biggest skill right now.

Not to meaning to go too off topic here but honestly, the only way i can see this team consistently finding wins is if it works significantly harder than the other team. And that might work for stretches in the regular season, but it won't work in the playoffs :(

- LilRip