Author Topic: Brad rips the team after Hawks loss (video)  (Read 3141 times)

Brad rips the team after Hawks loss (video)
« on: November 25, 2015, 12:44:46 AM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2932
http://www.masslive.com/celtics/index.ssf/2015/11/video_brad_stevens_rips_into_b.html

Okay, so he's still Brad Stevens and not very excitable. However, he was very down on the recent play of his team, and he continuously criticized the tendency to play individually and "on an island" that the C's have displayed the last several games.

Obviously, I think IT is one of the guys he is talking about here, but it might also be Crowder with his questionable shot selection recently and his tendency to get lost in the defense. He's obviously very unhappy with our recent defensive play, but he seems to think this team isn't connecting as a group like they were previously this year and most of last year. I don't think that it's a coincidence that this type of stuff started occurring when IT moved into the starting lineup.

Re: Brad rips the team after Hawks loss (video)
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2015, 12:51:39 AM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
Maybe I was wrong in the other thread... internal issues could force DA's hand? That would be kinda nice for us inpatient folks. And you gotta keep CBS happy.
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2015, 12:53:47 AM »

Offline alldaboston

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 324
I'm scared for tomorrow vs Philly. I feel we are the perfect example of that one team who allows Philly to finally win.
I could very well see the Hawks... starting Taurean Prince at the 3, who is already better than Crowder, imo.

you vs. the guy she tells you not to worry about

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2015, 12:59:58 AM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
I'm scared for tomorrow vs Philly. I feel we are the perfect example of that one team who allows Philly to finally win.

We certainly helped BKN. While that's not as bad, seems possible at the moment, huh?

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2015, 01:02:56 AM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277
They were winning when Isaiah was inserted to the lineup, I think he was ripping into the team.

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2015, 01:06:27 AM »

Offline coffee425

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 122
Mad Brad Stevens has a much more crazed derange aura than a typical coach ranting.

That being said, it's time we start AB and ET... IT4 is just too much of a defensive liability
Even at the end of the game, we lined up in different formation that he hadn't seen and he called out our play before I got the ball. I heard him calling it out. -John Wall on Brad Stevens

« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2015, 01:07:08 AM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
Mad Brad Stevens has a much more crazed derange aura than a typical coach ranting.

That being said, it's time we start AB and ET... IT4 is just too much of a defensive liability

And Turner isn't?

« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2015, 01:08:17 AM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 624
Spot on, jpotter3: he's not going to really show it, but he's furious. And it sounds like he was aware of the problems prior to tonight, yet they're just starting to manifest themselves now. It sort of goes without saying, but deep-rooted locker room issues like this are not good. Hopefully someone just needs to step up and light a fire under these guys, but I fear Smart's absence might force us toward roster moves.
Isaiah, you were lightning in a bottle.

DKC Clippers

« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2015, 01:09:33 AM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith

And Turner isn't?

Turner isn't a bad defender (when he's committed to it), and his size alone would be better than IT being out there.

It's not for lack of trying with IT, but did you see Teague yelling "He's too small to guard me!"? He's right, and Teague is actually probably average to below average in height for a point guard.

« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2015, 01:11:14 AM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 624

I'm worried. Let's hope Brad gets through to them by tomorrow night. If not, a loss tomorrow could be truly devastating.
Isaiah, you were lightning in a bottle.

DKC Clippers

« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2015, 01:11:15 AM »

Offline coffee425

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 122

And Turner isn't?

Turner isn't a bad defender (when he's committed to it), and his size alone would be better than IT being out there.

It's not for lack of trying with IT, but did you see Teague yelling "He's too small to guard me!"? He's right, and Teague is actually probably average to below average in height for a point guard.

that's all i was comparing  this to. Similar to how teams are gameplanning to defend Steph Curry, every team is gameplanning every way to attack IT4.
Even at the end of the game, we lined up in different formation that he hadn't seen and he called out our play before I got the ball. I heard him calling it out. -John Wall on Brad Stevens

« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2015, 01:11:46 AM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
I wonder how much is Amir, too. Amir seems to be a high character guy, and I wouldn't think effort and energy would be a problem with him.

However, it honestly looks like he's just soft, soft, soft out there and not really playing with energy. Surely he can't be that old already that he's incapable of even looking like he's energetic.

« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2015, 01:22:48 AM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo

And Turner isn't?

Okay and before that the defense was fine even with Isaiah's lack of height.

« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2015, 01:23:27 AM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
I wonder how much is Amir, too. Amir seems to be a high character guy, and I wouldn't think effort and energy would be a problem with him.

However, it honestly looks like he's just soft, soft, soft out there and not really playing with energy. Surely he can't be that old already that he's incapable of even looking like he's energetic.

I think Amir's the least of their problems actually in the last two games, same with Bradley.

« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2015, 01:36:24 AM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
IT is probably the main culprit, actually. I recall him turning the ball over (1/5) and not even attempting to get back on D to stop the layup; worse, someone else did (can't remember who) and nearly contested the shot. We all know that's mighty bad, esp for a guy like CBS.

That, the ill-advised shots, jawing with Teague, and whatever happened in recent practices may have brought things to a head. Then a lot of other guys may have checked out due to frustration or lack of involvement (e.g., Amir, Sully, Jae) and others played like crap b/c they seem to be a product of their environment (e.g., Jerebko, KO, again Jae).

Turner also put up some ill-advised shots and couldn't be counted on to pick up where IT left off tonight, unlike last game. This would also make more sense of Lee seeing 25 minutes tonight (7, 17, 15, 5 mpg in the last 4).

So one guy brought it tonight on both ends. What's the solution? Stevens doesn't seem reactive enough to drastically change the starting lineup, unless he's just proving a point (still unlikely, but possible). Is it time to start to consolidate the roster? Or weather the storm, and wait patiently, for our first-choice trade targets?
« Last Edit: November 25, 2015, 02:30:33 AM by tarheelsxxiii »