Author Topic: Avery Bradley bias  (Read 4978 times)

Re: Avery Bradley bias
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2015, 11:45:07 PM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
I feel like a team like OKC would be the perfect team for him. He can just get fed 3's, defend, and hustle while Westbrook and Durant do the scoring.

Much as I hate to say this, so would Clevleand. 

Imagine Bradley playing alongside Irving, Lebron and Love?  Wow.

« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2015, 11:53:32 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I agree about Bradley and OKC.  That would be a great fit.  He's exactly what they need. 

But what are they gonna trade us?  We've got tons of mediocre 1sts and I dunno about you but I have no interest in Enes Kanter or Dion Waiters.

Cleveland already has Iman Shumpert, who gives them about as much as they'd get out of Avery in a smaller offensive role.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2015, 11:55:43 PM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
Avery's on a hot streak.  We've seen it before.  He's a very jumper reliant player.  When his jumper is falling like rain, you can see why he was considered a top shelf prospect once upon a time.  He just doesn't have enough in the other areas of his game to compensate when the jumper isn't falling.

I have been impressed by some of his drives this year, though.  He's improved in that area a bit, although it only shows up occasionally.

Not doubting that, and I'm sure he won't continue shooting hot like this for the entire season (that would be unheard of).  Likewise I'm not trying to suggest that he is going to be a star of anything of that nature.

Just expressing my disappointment in the fact Avery has been the only guy on the Celtics roster who has been consistently productive on both ends of the floor since the big 3 got dissolved (and has also been arguably the hardest working player on the team over that stretch) and yet he still regularly gets far more hate then anybody on the team

In the meantime other guys who either are one dimensional players (Thomas, Crowder), horribly inconsistent (Sully, Olynyk, Smart) or have questionable work ethic (Sully) all tend to get more praise and appreciation here than Bradley does.

Hell, even James Young seems to get more positive threads made about him than Bradley does. 

It's just unfathomable to me how the guy has managed to rub so many people the wrong way, despite always being (seemingly) the most modest, hard working and easily coachable guy on the roster.  What is there to hate?

« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2015, 11:58:41 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
I agree about Bradley and OKC.  That would be a great fit.  He's exactly what they need. 

But what are they gonna trade us?  We've got tons of mediocre 1sts and I dunno about you but I have no interest in Enes Kanter or Dion Waiters.

Cleveland already has Iman Shumpert, who gives them about as much as they'd get out of Avery in a smaller offensive role.
I feel like a team like OKC would be the perfect team for him. He can just get fed 3's, defend, and hustle while Westbrook and Durant do the scoring.

Much as I hate to say this, so would Clevleand. 

Imagine Bradley playing alongside Irving, Lebron and Love?  Wow.

I agree. Cleveland or OKC would both be perfect fits. I like Shumpert more though, because he seems to be able to guard most strong 2's.

But OKC really just needs a Kyle Korver/Danny Green or AB type of player to do the dirty work, and shoot.

Yeah, unfortunately OKC doesn't have jack squat for us to trade.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2015, 12:00:06 AM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
Avery's on a hot streak.  We've seen it before.  He's a very jumper reliant player.  When his jumper is falling like rain, you can see why he was considered a top shelf prospect once upon a time.  He just doesn't have enough in the other areas of his game to compensate when the jumper isn't falling.

I have been impressed by some of his drives this year, though.  He's improved in that area a bit, although it only shows up occasionally.

Not doubting that, and I'm sure he won't continue shooting hot like this for the entire season (that would be unheard of).  Likewise I'm not trying to suggest that he is going to be a star of anything of that nature.

Just expressing my disappointment in the fact Avery has been the only guy on the Celtics roster who has been consistently productive on both ends of the floor since the big 3 got dissolved (and has also been arguably the hardest working player on the team over that stretch) and yet he still regularly gets far more hate then anybody on the team

In the meantime other guys who either are one dimensional players (Thomas, Crowder), horribly inconsistent (Sully, Olynyk, Smart) or have questionable work ethic (Sully) all tend to get more praise and appreciation here than Bradley does.

Hell, even James Young seems to get more positive threads made about him than Bradley does. 

It's just unfathomable to me how the guy has managed to rub so many people the wrong way, despite always being (seemingly) the most modest, hard working and easily coachable guy on the roster.  What is there to hate?

Well, I underrate him, because I always believe he could be better.

Now that hes doing extremely well, I can't hate on him. His play this year has been perfect.

I just don't think he should start.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #20 on: November 25, 2015, 12:00:29 AM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo

Not sure about that.

IMHO Bradley is a far better offensive player than Shumpert.  Shumpert has never averaged more than 12 Points Per 36, and has shot 35% of better from three only once.  Bradley has averaged over 15 Points Per 36 for three straight seasons now, and shot over 35% from three four times in his 6 years as a pro.

Bradley is IMHO a better defender too.  I think Avery Bradley is a big upgrade over Shumpert for Cleveland.

« Reply #21 on: November 25, 2015, 12:02:38 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.

Kelly Olynyk is being under-hated.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #22 on: November 25, 2015, 12:03:25 AM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo

Well, I underrate him, because I always believe he could be better.

Now that hes doing extremely well, I can't hate on him. His play this year has been perfect.

I just don't think he should start.

I figure as much - that people hate because they overestimate his potential, and then get frustrated when he doesn't reach that overestimated potential.

It's hard to argue that he's not doing everything he can to be the best player he can be though - he's such a hardworking guy - I have to believe that if there was anything he could do to further his game he would do it.

He really seems like the "first to show up, last to leave" type.

« Reply #23 on: November 25, 2015, 12:34:02 AM »

Offline mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 597
Dee Brown is the best comparison I can see with AB and their stat numbers are quite similar.

« Reply #24 on: November 25, 2015, 01:43:27 AM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
I believe I've always been pretty supportive of AB.

While he likely won't shoot 43% for the season from 3, based on past seasons, 40% would not be much of a surprise. I am also happy to see him make some pretty nice passes over the last 2 weeks, though he is still below average passing. Apart from his passing though, I like him a lot. He would be a great player if he was taller.

« Reply #25 on: November 25, 2015, 07:09:14 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968

Kelly Olynyk is being under-hated.

Not by me .

He is a  woosey.

He plays soft and the role of Jeff Green in my mind.

« Reply #26 on: November 25, 2015, 07:12:53 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I think KO is soft too, he is a nice backup.

AB is a having a solid season.

« Reply #27 on: November 25, 2015, 08:14:12 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 867
I think the phenomenon is that people form an opinion at some point and then look for confirmation bias from then on to validate the opinion.  In Bradley's case, he was really bad his rookie year (really bad) so people started with the "he's a bust", "no handle",  "terrible overpay", etc. etc.  So now it is harder for people to change their minds.  If he has a good game, it is just a good game.  If he has a bad game, it's "see, I knew Bradley wasn't that good".

Bradley has shown stunning improvement since that rookie season but I sense that he may be leveling off.  If he can continue to play at this level or maybe improve in terms of consistency and general court awareness for say 5 years or more, that is great.  It will be a very good NBA career.  I don't put him quite at the star category and he probably won't get there but I am very happy with Avery Bradley.  He is a very good player on a fair contract. 

« Reply #28 on: November 25, 2015, 08:59:25 AM »

Offline TheTruthFot18

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 263
  • Truth Juice
Because the moment you start an AB appreciative thread..he will be jinxed and will play poorly the next 4 games...so i suggest lets just enjoy his performance and hope you dont jinx his next game if he goes 3-15 or somthing ;D

He easily could, but he's also emerged as the clear #2 scorer behind IT so as long as IT doesn't have 50 Bradley will be shooting. Better than Crowder or Sully putting up low % 3's to make up for it.
The Nets will finish with the worst record and the Celtics will end up with the 4th pick.

- Me (sometime in January)

--------------------------------------------------------

Guess I was wrong (May 23rd)

« Reply #29 on: November 25, 2015, 09:54:48 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

I think we "hate" what he lacks.  But you're right, he has a lot of good characteristics -- he has always seemed like a very hard worker, soft-spoken, level-headed.  He's a leader on this young team.

Whenever he goes to another team, I'm sure we'll miss him. 

I've also enjoyed the way he's relished the opportunity to take and make big shots at the end of games the last year or so.  He's got a little bit of the Joe Johnson DNA in him, which is not entirely a bad thing, and it's fun to watch. 

Avery deserves credit for going from a deer-in-headlights rookie on a team full of vets to a guy who steps up and takes shots when his team is struggling.

All of that said, if my shooting guard isn't a playmaker and doesn't get to the line, I want him to be on the Danny Green / Kyle Korver level of deadly sharpshooting combined with defensive versatility.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain