Poll

Will Philly get Simmons

No.
8 (57.1%)
Yes.
2 (14.3%)
They only give the worst team the first pick when it's Cleveland.
4 (28.6%)

Total Members Voted: 14

Author Topic: Philly is not getting Simmons! End that thought.  (Read 3897 times)

Re: Philly is not getting Simmons! End that thought.
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2015, 09:03:05 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
so the Lakers are getting him?
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2015, 09:13:14 AM »

Offline CelticD

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 140
isnt there a stat somewhere saying the worst record rarely gets the #1 pick?

« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2015, 09:40:34 AM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
^

The Lakers and Philly are by far the two worst teams.  One of them will get Simmons.
I prefer Philly getting him.
combined, right now the odds of either of these two teams getting the #1 pick is 45%, less and 50/50. so strictly speaking, the odds are against them.

I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2015, 09:43:02 AM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
the team with THE worst record in the nba has exactly a 25% chance of getting the #1. that is more than any other team. but, obviously, the odds are much greater that SOME OTHER TEAM will get the #1 pick.

see one of my favorite websites for the odds...

http://www.tankathon.com/
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2015, 09:44:03 AM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549
You can look at the actual odds.  The worst record only has a 25% chance at the #1 pick and a 64.3% chance at a top 3 pick.  So there's actually a better chance that the team with the worst record finishes with the #4 pick than the #1 pick. 

Of course, all the other lottery odds are worse.  If Brooklyn finishes with the 3rd worst record like they have now,  the odds we get the #1 pick would be 15.6% and a top 3 pick would be 46.9%. 

« Reply #20 on: November 26, 2015, 09:53:19 AM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549
^

The Lakers and Philly are by far the two worst teams.  One of them will get Simmons.
combined, right now the odds of either of these two teams getting the #1 pick is 45%, less and 50/50. so strictly speaking, the odds are against them.
The Sixers have the right to swap picks with the Kings (if the Kings pick is in the top 10).  So assuming the Kings finish in the lottery, the Sixers will have an additional chance to get the #1 pick. 

« Reply #21 on: November 26, 2015, 09:58:11 AM »

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
^

The Sixers have the right to swap picks with the Kings (if the Kings pick is in the top 10).  So assuming the Kings finish in the lottery, the Sixers will have an additional chance to get the #1 pick.

Yet another reason to root for Rondo and the Kings!

« Reply #22 on: November 26, 2015, 12:30:48 PM »

Offline CelticD

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 140
the team with THE worst record in the nba has exactly a 25% chance of getting the #1. that is more than any other team. but, obviously, the odds are much greater that SOME OTHER TEAM will get the #1 pick.

right right. but historically speaking, i think the worst team has only gotten the #1 3 times since the lottery was introduced? ur point is well taken though.

« Reply #23 on: November 27, 2015, 08:22:21 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533

right right. but historically speaking, i think the worst team has only gotten the #1 3 times since the lottery was introduced? ur point is well taken though.
I posted a thread on here a few months back (maybe longer) that went through all the #1 picks and the place of finish of the team that landed it.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #24 on: November 27, 2015, 08:25:03 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
Here is the thread http://forums.celticsblog.com/index.php?topic=73069.msg1720913#msg1720913

Minnesota would have to be added to the worst record crowd, bringing the total to 3.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip