Author Topic: To the Commenters who worry about the Celtic's size at most positions  (Read 2880 times)

Re: To the Commenters who worry about the Celtic's size at most positions
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2015, 04:04:51 PM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277
I tend to be more optimistic. On any team, there are always mismatched player because of size, or poor defense. Good coaching tends to be able to hide those players or weirdly turns them into good defenders.

It is no doubt a concern and Stevens substitution patterns reflect that he notices some of those mismatches, but I do think over time that this defensive scheme can every get better.

Also, those mismatches have been concerning, but we still have one of the better defenses in the NBA. If we clean that up, we could have a top 3 defense.

LeBron was barely phased by Crowder and ET. 

Who besides guys like Draymond Green or Jimmy Butler is Lebron not going to blow by?

« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2015, 05:34:23 PM »

Offline GreenWarrior

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 228
i am and always will be a proponent of size when it comes to basketball. the way I see it is at best you're breaking even if you insist on playing under-sized players. the thought that small players have this huge advantage speed-wise is an overrated philosophy because ultimately the game becomes a half court game in the playoffs and speed becomes null and void.

I just think even if you have some advantage there, you're likely giving up enough to make it pointless to play small. which when you look at our record we're right around where I expect an under-sized team to be...at best.

« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2015, 05:56:13 PM »

Online The Oracle

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 597
i am and always will be a proponent of size when it comes to basketball. the way I see it is at best you're breaking even if you insist on playing under-sized players. the thought that small players have this huge advantage speed-wise is an overrated philosophy because ultimately the game becomes a half court game in the playoffs and speed becomes null and void.

I just think even if you have some advantage there, you're likely giving up enough to make it pointless to play small. which when you look at our record we're right around where I expect an under-sized team to be...at best.

The Warriors just went small in the finals in order to win the title.  Like it or not there are very few dominant back to the basket big men in the NBA right now.  Slower less mobile bigs are being drug out to the perimeter rendering them much less effective and in some cases next to worthless.  The ever changing NBA at least for the near future is going smaller and faster and I wish teams luck that aren't moving in that direction.

« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2015, 07:03:05 PM »

Offline inverselock

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 44

The Warriors just went small in the finals in order to win the title.  Like it or not there are very few dominant back to the basket big men in the NBA right now.  Slower less mobile bigs are being drug out to the perimeter rendering them much less effective and in some cases next to worthless.  The ever changing NBA at least for the near future is going smaller and faster and I wish teams luck that aren't moving in that direction.

Warriors back court is big.   They switch on well on defence.

« Reply #19 on: November 24, 2015, 07:06:29 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
A lack of size doesn't seem to hurt as much these days as it once did.  Though I will say, what bothers me most about the Celts' lack of size is not that it's lacking in the frontcourt, but that it is lacking on the wing and at the guard positions.

It seems like the league is skewing more and more toward guys in the 6'3'' to 6'9'' range.  You could build a competitive team almost entirely out of rangy, athletic guys in that height range who can hit an open three, finish inside, and defend the perimeter.

When you're starting a 5'9'' point guard, a 6'2'' shooting guard, and a 6'5'' small forward, that starts to become a problem in certain matchups.

I don't think Stevens is too worried about it. He consistently switches everything, including guards to forward and bigs. This is something that both the Spurs and the Warriors have done the past couple of years. In playing a harassing and a frantic switching defense, teams have a tough time taking advantage of matchups, and even if they can get the ball to a guy with a good matchup, the Celtics double team the post before the player can do anything.

I continue to see you say that Crowder is 6'5''. According to every measurement i see, he is 6'6.5''. That not bad. And his wingspan is 6'9''.

Also, length is probably more important that height (although they are not mutually exclusive).

Bradley has a 6'7'' wingspan (and used that to block Thad Young the other night). Smart has a 6'9'' wingpsan. Rozier has a 6'8'' wingspan. Hunter has a 6'10.5'' wingspan. Turner is a true 6'7'' with a 6'8'' wingspan. I'm too lazy to put down all of their standing reaches.

I think height can be intimidating, but length (wingspan and standing reach) are more important to actually playing basketball.

You are correct on Crowder's wingspan. However he is officially 6'4.75" tall with no shoes at the NBA combine.
 That is the only height that matters. Shoes on heights are ridiculous.

Do they play NBA games with barefeet or with shoes?

« Reply #20 on: November 24, 2015, 07:08:03 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766

Speed is never null and void. Speed is always important, especially in the half-court where a little bit of speed can beat a defensive rotation.

« Reply #21 on: November 24, 2015, 08:30:56 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136
Did the doctor measure you when you were growing up with shoes without shoes come on man.

« Reply #22 on: November 24, 2015, 09:31:59 PM »

Offline dreamgreen

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
A lack of size doesn't seem to hurt as much these days as it once did.  Though I will say, what bothers me most about the Celts' lack of size is not that it's lacking in the frontcourt, but that it is lacking on the wing and at the guard positions.

It seems like the league is skewing more and more toward guys in the 6'3'' to 6'9'' range.  You could build a competitive team almost entirely out of rangy, athletic guys in that height range who can hit an open three, finish inside, and defend the perimeter.

When you're starting a 5'9'' point guard, a 6'2'' shooting guard, and a 6'5'' small forward, that starts to become a problem in certain matchups.

TP you nailed it. People on here will be in denial about this. Especially when IT4 goes for big numbers in a game. But lets face the fact. The only thing that matters is the playoffs and when a team game plans against you for a series you will see what we saw last year. IT4 get abused and shut down!