Poll

Will Philly be a .500 team before Noel hits free agency?

Over .500
2 (6.5%)
Under .500
27 (87.1%)
Right at .500
2 (6.5%)

Total Members Voted: 31

Author Topic: Will Philly be a .500 team before Noel hits free agency?  (Read 11993 times)

Re: Will Philly be a .500 team before Noel hits free agency?
« Reply #30 on: November 24, 2015, 10:46:20 PM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471
The problem with evaluating Noel or anyone on the Sixers is that they spend so much time in non-competitive games.  A lot of players can look good during garbage time.

Mike

« Reply #31 on: November 24, 2015, 10:51:25 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
If I can get a lottery pick I'd move Noel. Lab, Simmons and Bender are better PF options.

« Reply #32 on: November 24, 2015, 11:13:57 PM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
Noel has started the last two games.  He clearly doesn't fit next to Okafor.  One of those guys will need to be traded.   He has a minimum of two years left on his contract after this one... essentially locked up until at least Summer 2018, but that's assuming they don't extend him... I don't consider restricted free agency to be "free agency"...  I'm going to guess you're assuming that Philly doesn't extend him and he ends up playing for his qualifying offer in 2017-18.  Far-fetched, but we'll pretend.

I'm not sure why that is so far fetched. 

Noel is a long and athletic (and seemingly quite competitive) big man, and while he is very limited offensively, he does have very high defensive upside.   He's not likely to ever be a star, but guys of his mold always draw interest from teams in the NBA.

He's playing for a team that has been utterly horrendous the past three or so seasons, with no obvious signs of going anywhere fast.

If I were in Noel's place, I would want to get the hell out of the place as soon as I possibly can.  There is no way in hell I would agree to an extension to stay with (what has become) a laughing stock of a franchise.  No self respecting player would go through year after year of intentionally losing games, and then willingly choose to return to that.

If Noel DID agree to an extension then it would simply tell all the NBA world that he lacks competitiveness, and is the type of guy who is happy to spend the next 4 years of his life on a terrible team.  As a GM, I wouldn't have much interest in signing such a player.

I wouldn't bet on him signing that extension...

The premise of this thread has to make the assumption that Okafor is the one who is traded... why else would Noel still be on the roster in 2018?  It clearly doesn't work.  One needs to be cashed in.   So if Noel stays and Okafor leaves, what do you suspect Philly got for Okafor in this hypothetical?   

There is no such assumption made.  As far as I can see the assumption is that both players remain.  Why would the Sixers trade one of them before Noel's contact expires? 

Because they don't play well together?  What - you think the Sixers are afraid that might cause them to lose some games?  lol not likely.

You got teams like Orlando who are overloaded with SFs... Okafor for Harris... who says no?    You got teams like the Bucks who are possibly overloaded with SFs (Middleton, Parker, Giannis).. Okafor for Parker... who says no?

If I were Philly, I would say no.  Okafor is already better than Harris - possible better than he will ever be.  Why on earth would I (as the Sixers) trade Okafor for Harris?  No thanks.

I'd Take Sully, Bradley and a Brooklyn pick (any Brooklyn pick) over Harris any day of the week.  Right now it's debatable if Harris is even any better than Bradley.  Bradley is both a better shooter and a FAR better defender.

You now have Avery Bradley, Jared Sullinger and Nerlens Noel.   Let's just pretend Embiid's career is over even though it probably isn't... so let's pretend they get zero assets for Embiid.    They still have a guaranteed top 4 pick this year, meaning they are getting Ben Simmons, Skal, Brown, Ingram, Murray...     They get the Lakers pick if it falls outside the top 3, so they might end up with two of those guys coming over... otherwise they get the Lakers unprotected 2017 pick.

* There is no certainty that their top 4 pick will not be a bust (many are)

* Given current records, they probably have a better chance of not getting the Lakers pick than getting it

* If they don't get the pick, the Lakers are in a better position to turn things around next year than they are (they have more young talent than Philly does) so that 2017 pick could be mediocre

* Their cap space means far less with the rising cap, since just about every team will have cap space over the next two years - there is little incentive for Free Agent's to sign for a garbage team like Philly

Yeah, I'd bet on them being a .500 team before 2019.  A good GM could turn that team into a .500 team pretty easily.   If they can't turn all of those assets into a .500 team over the next few seasons, that's a failure.

Why 2019? 

Noah has this year and next year -  he will be a free agent after the 2016/17 season, and Embiid will be after the 2017/18 season.  Even Okafor will be a free agent before the 2018/19 season starts.

By the time 2019 comes along, all three of their "big draft hits" could well be gone.

« Reply #33 on: November 24, 2015, 11:24:19 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2951
Disclaimer: More Philly talk...

But I think you all know where I'm heading with this question... If Philly's rebuild takes longer than Nerlens Noel's rookie contract, let's bring the Mass kid home  :)

edit: Nerlens hits restricted free agency in the summer of 2017

I ve alluded to this several times.

It is certain .....Danny is watching this development unfold .........one reason he is saving his ammo ....assets ...in case Nerlins becomes available. ....due to Philly being told he is NOT resigning .

While he knows he has a place on the Celtics with a REAL coach ......not a coach that's used as a placeholder coach , while they play the tanking game.

Eventually all these young superstars to be are going to play on a REAL team......get their careers started ...hone their trade.

« Reply #34 on: November 24, 2015, 11:44:59 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
At this point, if LarBrd33 posts something about the Sixers, you can be sure on a brigade of 5-6 posters coming along and disagreeing with whatever he says, simply on principle.

And without fail somebody will say something along the lines of, "Why don't you just go post in a Sixers forum if you like them so much?!"
You値l have to excuse my lengthiness葉he reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #35 on: November 24, 2015, 11:56:33 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
At this point, if LarBrd33 posts something about the Sixers, you can be sure on a brigade of 5-6 posters coming along and disagreeing with whatever he says, simply on principle.

And without fail somebody will say something along the lines of, "Why don't you just go post in a Sixers forum if you like them so much?!"

Maybe it's because, if LarBrd33 posts something about the Sixers, you can be sure that it's going to be a 100% positive/glass half full opinion. He really does an outstanding job of polishing that turd.

« Reply #36 on: November 25, 2015, 12:00:11 AM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker

Yes, it is weird that a BOSTON CELTICS fan blog would be so unreceptive to someone repeatedly drooling over the PHILADELPHIA 76ERS.  I can't explain it.

Mike

« Reply #37 on: November 25, 2015, 10:55:09 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish

Maybe it's because, if LarBrd33 posts something about the Sixers, you can be sure that it's going to be a 100% positive/glass half full opinion. He really does an outstanding job of polishing that turd.

I can understand why people get annoyed that he seems to always have a half-full opinion about other teams and a half-empty opinion about our team.  I just think sometimes the REFUTE AND SHAME LARBRD33 Brigade gets a little bit overbearing.  Derails threads.
You値l have to excuse my lengthiness葉he reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #38 on: November 25, 2015, 12:18:20 PM »

Offline Endless Paradise

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 182

I can understand why people get annoyed that he seems to always have a half-full opinion about other teams and a half-empty opinion about our team.  I just think sometimes the REFUTE AND SHAME LARBRD33 Brigade gets a little bit overbearing.  Derails threads.

Especially since, you know, it's completely ineffective.

« Reply #39 on: November 25, 2015, 12:40:02 PM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4586
He has a minimum of two years left on his contract after this one... essentially locked up until at least Summer 2018, but that's assuming they don't extend him... I don't consider restricted free agency to be "free agency"...  I'm going to guess you're assuming that Philly doesn't extend him and he ends up playing for his qualifying offer in 2017-18.  Far-fetched, but we'll pretend.

I think this is the absolute wrong view to take.  Restricted free agency is a real thing, and it causes teams to lose players all the time.

The issue I have with Noel is I don't see him as a max money player, at least 13 games into the 3rd year of his contract.  Do you?  So unless he makes a huge leap next season, he's not worth max money, at least to me.

Now this is exactly how teams lose players in restricted free agency, the player is looking for more money than the team wants to pay him, and there might be another team willing to pay him what he's looking for.  So the team either trades him in contract year 4, or just lets the player sign with another team.  We've seen this with James Harden, Reggie Jackson, Enes Kanter, Tyreke Evans, Brandon Jennings, Charlie Villanueva, Jeremy Lin, Omer Asik, Chandler Parsons, we'll probably see this with guys like Jared Sullinger, Terrence Jones, Dion Waiters this year too.

Also, if things ever start to work out for the Sixers, they have to start worrying about salaries.  If they draft Simmons, Embiid finally works out and plays great next to Okafor, Saric comes over.  That's a lot of money coming due, and they won't want to not sign Simmons to the max because they already gave huge contracts to some combination of Noel, Okafor, Embiid, Saric, etc.  They'll want to avoid exactly what happened in OKC not being able to max Harden because they had too much money committed to Durant, Westbrook, Ibaka, and Perk.

Not wanting to invest in players who aren't superstars only to win 40-50 games and never make it past the 2nd round of the playoffs is why Philly went with the tank strategy in the first place.  Investing big money in Noel seems like the opposite of what they're trying to do.  I don't think he's a Sixer come the start of '17-'18 either by trade or leaving through restricted free agency, at which point the Sixers still won't be a .500 team.

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #40 on: November 25, 2015, 12:58:23 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish

Especially since, you know, it's completely ineffective.

Exactly, LarBrd be like

- Mark Twain

« Reply #41 on: November 25, 2015, 01:12:13 PM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker

Eh.  I'll admit that just ignoring someone like him is often good advice but the flip side is, why does LarBrd get to determine what other people do and do not post?  Why should he be allowed to put up whatever antagonizing stuff he wants and it's everybody else who has to censor themselves?

I've seen it before on boards, and much worse examples than LarBrd, with combative posters who everyone else has to tip toe around for fear of setting off a multi-page flame war.

Mike

« Reply #42 on: November 25, 2015, 01:24:13 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish

Eh.  I'll admit that just ignoring someone like him is often good advice but the flip side is, why does LarBrd get to determine what other people do and do not post?  Why should he be allowed to put up whatever antagonizing stuff he wants and it's everybody else who has to censor themselves?

I'm not suggesting anybody censor themselves.  Not at all.  I just get the feeling that for some people, arguing against LarBrd33 is more about vehemently disagreeing with him than it is about the subject matter being discussed.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #43 on: November 25, 2015, 01:25:04 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2951
I ll give Philly this .....they got a coach that knows how to loose......LOL

By the time Philly is done .....their coach will have to set a record for the most losses ever by a coach that stays employed

To do one thing

Tank o Rama kings

« Reply #44 on: November 25, 2015, 08:00:27 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 736
The chance the Noel walks in free agency a year from now are next to none. Teams have overwhelming leverage over their players when they get to the end of the rookie deal and are restricted free agents. So even if the team is terrible, Noel more than likely still resigns with them.

The other thing is, if Noel and Okafor really can't play together and Embiid does come back healthy, there will be a lot of teams willing to trade real assetts for them. This Sixers team will, one way or another, look very different a year from now.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008