Poll

Will Philly be a .500 team before Noel hits free agency?

Over .500
2 (6.5%)
Under .500
27 (87.1%)
Right at .500
2 (6.5%)

Total Members Voted: 31

Author Topic: Will Philly be a .500 team before Noel hits free agency?  (Read 12104 times)

Re: Will Philly be a .500 team before Noel hits free agency?
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2015, 06:18:32 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
Doesn't he have like 3 or 4 more years on his contract?

A line up of:
Newman (Lakers Pick)
Saric
Simmons
Noel
Okafor

with possibly a healthy Embiid at some point, could easily be .500. Thats a really nice young team there.

To clarify, Nerlens has 2 years left after this season. Currently he's on the bench on a bad team, so logic would question if he'll even provide a significant enough impact to get them to .500
Noel has started the last two games.  He clearly doesn't fit next to Okafor.  One of those guys will need to be traded.   He has a minimum of two years left on his contract after this one... essentially locked up until at least Summer 2018, but that's assuming they don't extend him... I don't consider restricted free agency to be "free agency"...  I'm going to guess you're assuming that Philly doesn't extend him and he ends up playing for his qualifying offer in 2017-18.  Far-fetched, but we'll pretend.

The premise of this thread has to make the assumption that Okafor is the one who is traded... why else would Noel still be on the roster in 2018?  It clearly doesn't work.  One needs to be cashed in.   So if Noel stays and Okafor leaves, what do you suspect Philly got for Okafor in this hypothetical?   

I'll turn to my fellow Celtic fans... what's your best offer for a 19 year old beast who is averaging 18.4 points, 8 rebounds, 1.7 blocks with 48% shooting... and just torched the #1 rookie for 25 points,12 rebounds and 2 blocks?   Clearly you'd give up Sully for him.  Would you also include Avery Bradley?  Would you give up Marcus Smart + additional 1sts?   Go ahead... tell me your godfather offer for Jahlil Okafor.   Until someone gives me a better answer, I'll just pencil in Avery Bradley and Sully (Philly says hell no)... But if we were to think outside the Boston box... You got teams like Orlando who are overloaded with SFs... Okafor for Harris... who says no?    You got teams like the Bucks who are possibly overloaded with SFs (Middleton, Parker, Giannis).. Okafor for Parker... who says no?   But lets stick with Boston since it's what we know.

You now have Avery Bradley, Jared Sullinger and Nerlens Noel.   Let's just pretend Embiid's career is over even though it probably isn't... so let's pretend they get zero assets for Embiid.    They still have a guaranteed top 4 pick this year, meaning they are getting Ben Simmons, Skal, Brown, Ingram, Murray...     They get the Lakers pick if it falls outside the top 3, so they might end up with two of those guys coming over... otherwise they get the Lakers unprotected 2017 pick.    They have Saric coming over at some point before 2018.   They have oodles of cap space.   They have two more 2016 1sts coming this year from Miami and OKC.  They have prospects with some value like Wroten, Stauskas, Grant, etc...

Yeah, I'd bet on them being a .500 team before 2019.  A good GM could turn that team into a .500 team pretty easily.   If they can't turn all of those assets into a .500 team over the next few seasons, that's a failure.

Wouldn't you be happier strictly posting on a Sixers board? Serious question considering how much you marvel at that pathetic team. You'd be an instant hit with your passionate infatuation based on god knows what.

« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2015, 06:24:05 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

I'll turn to my fellow Celtic fans... what's your best offer for a 19 year old beast who is averaging 18.4 points, 8 rebounds, 1.7 blocks with 48% shooting... and just torched the #1 rookie for 25 points,12 rebounds and 2 blocks?   

Sullinger, [take-your-pick of Rozier, Hunter, Mickey], James Young, Mavericks 2016, T-Wolves 2016, and one of the Nets picks.  I'd start out offering 2018, but might be persuaded to give up 2016 if it came down to it.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2015, 06:34:31 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson

I'll turn to my fellow Celtic fans... what's your best offer for a 19 year old beast who is averaging 18.4 points, 8 rebounds, 1.7 blocks with 48% shooting... and just torched the #1 rookie for 25 points,12 rebounds and 2 blocks?   

Sullinger, [take-your-pick of Rozier, Hunter, Mickey], James Young, Mavericks 2016, T-Wolves 2016, and one of the Nets picks.  I'd start out offering 2018, but might be persuaded to give up 2016 if it came down to it.

He's talking about Okafor not Anthony Davis.

« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2015, 07:04:45 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016

A line up of:
Newman (Lakers Pick)
Saric
Simmons
Noel
Okafor

with possibly a healthy Embiid at some point, could easily be .500. Thats a really nice young team there.

To clarify, Nerlens has 2 years left after this season. Currently he's on the bench on a bad team, so logic would question if he'll even provide a significant enough impact to get them to .500
Noel has started the last two games.  He clearly doesn't fit next to Okafor.  One of those guys will need to be traded.   He has a minimum of two years left on his contract after this one... essentially locked up until at least Summer 2018, but that's assuming they don't extend him... I don't consider restricted free agency to be "free agency"...  I'm going to guess you're assuming that Philly doesn't extend him and he ends up playing for his qualifying offer in 2017-18.  Far-fetched, but we'll pretend.

The premise of this thread has to make the assumption that Okafor is the one who is traded... why else would Noel still be on the roster in 2018?  It clearly doesn't work.  One needs to be cashed in.   So if Noel stays and Okafor leaves, what do you suspect Philly got for Okafor in this hypothetical?   

I'll turn to my fellow Celtic fans... what's your best offer for a 19 year old beast who is averaging 18.4 points, 8 rebounds, 1.7 blocks with 48% shooting... and just torched the #1 rookie for 25 points,12 rebounds and 2 blocks?   Clearly you'd give up Sully for him.  Would you also include Avery Bradley?  Would you give up Marcus Smart + additional 1sts?   Go ahead... tell me your godfather offer for Jahlil Okafor.   Until someone gives me a better answer, I'll just pencil in Avery Bradley and Sully (Philly says hell no)... But if we were to think outside the Boston box... You got teams like Orlando who are overloaded with SFs... Okafor for Harris... who says no?    You got teams like the Bucks who are possibly overloaded with SFs (Middleton, Parker, Giannis).. Okafor for Parker... who says no?   But lets stick with Boston since it's what we know.

You now have Avery Bradley, Jared Sullinger and Nerlens Noel.   Let's just pretend Embiid's career is over even though it probably isn't... so let's pretend they get zero assets for Embiid.    They still have a guaranteed top 4 pick this year, meaning they are getting Ben Simmons, Skal, Brown, Ingram, Murray...     They get the Lakers pick if it falls outside the top 3, so they might end up with two of those guys coming over... otherwise they get the Lakers unprotected 2017 pick.    They have Saric coming over at some point before 2018.   They have oodles of cap space.   They have two more 2016 1sts coming this year from Miami and OKC.  They have prospects with some value like Wroten, Stauskas, Grant, etc...

Yeah, I'd bet on them being a .500 team before 2019.  A good GM could turn that team into a .500 team pretty easily.   If they can't turn all of those assets into a .500 team over the next few seasons, that's a failure.

Wouldn't you be happier strictly posting on a Sixers board? Serious question considering how much you marvel at that pathetic team. You'd be an instant hit with your passionate infatuation based on god knows what.
I wonder which one of us talks more about the 76ers on this board.  I'd guess you start more threads about them.

« Reply #19 on: November 24, 2015, 07:10:50 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson

A line up of:
Newman (Lakers Pick)
Saric
Simmons
Noel
Okafor

I wonder which one of us talks more about the 76ers on this board.  I'd guess you start more threads about them.

Not sure, but you sure don't miss to a chance to sing their praises. If only you could spread the wealth to the home team.

« Reply #20 on: November 24, 2015, 07:14:10 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016

A line up of:
Newman (Lakers Pick)
Saric
Simmons
Noel
Okafor

Not sure, but you sure don't miss to a chance to sing their praises. If only you could spread the wealth to the home team.
I constantly praise every superstar prospect on Boston.   

« Reply #21 on: November 24, 2015, 07:25:42 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson

A line up of:
Newman (Lakers Pick)
Saric
Simmons
Noel
Okafor

And constantly praise the non-superstar prospects in Philly. Imagine if Noel was actually good at basketball and Okafor could play D and rebound effectively.

« Reply #22 on: November 24, 2015, 07:59:11 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 550

A line up of:
Newman (Lakers Pick)
Saric
Simmons
Noel
Okafor

And constantly praise the non-superstar prospects in Philly. Imagine if Noel was actually good at basketball and Okafor could play D and rebound effectively.
Noel finished 3rd in the Rookie of the Year voting.  He was 10th in steals and 7th in blocks in the NBA last season.   Pretty darn good for a player you say isn't good at basketball.  He's just 21 so he has plenty of time to develop further. 

« Reply #23 on: November 24, 2015, 08:14:30 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson

A line up of:
Newman (Lakers Pick)
Saric
Simmons
Noel
Okafor

Noel finished 3rd in the Rookie of the Year voting.  He was 10th in steals and 7th in blocks in the NBA last season.   Pretty darn good for a player you say isn't good at basketball.  He's just 21 so he has plenty of time to develop further.

You should watch him play, especially on offense, instead of relying on stats. He looks like a baby dear on ice. If that guy has superstar potential, then he doesn't have very high standards of what being a superstar constitutes.

« Reply #24 on: November 24, 2015, 09:15:27 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson

A line up of:
Newman (Lakers Pick)
Saric
Simmons
Noel
Okafor

You should watch him play, especially on offense, instead of relying on stats. He looks like a baby dear on ice. If that guy has superstar potential, then he doesn't have very high standards of what being a superstar constitutes.
I haven't seen Noel this year but I watched him quite a bit last year.  I've never said Noel is going to be a superstar but he can be a defensive stud at center.  Whether he can diversify his game enough to play PF is certainly an open question. 

« Reply #25 on: November 24, 2015, 09:16:36 PM »

Offline dreamgreen

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
No. That team is the new Clippers.

« Reply #26 on: November 24, 2015, 09:29:42 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson

A line up of:
Newman (Lakers Pick)
Saric
Simmons
Noel
Okafor

I haven't seen Noel this year but I watched him quite a bit last year.  I've never said Noel is going to be a superstar but he can be a defensive stud at center.  Whether he can diversify his game enough to play PF is certainly an open question.

Please watch him this year. The guy is so overrated. Sure he gets blocks and is active in passing lanes, but he's not the best rebounder, especially in traffic, and gets pushed around way too easily. On offense he's a trainwreck. No footwork. No post game. No perimeter game. Poor free throw shooter. Stone hands. Low IQ/awareness. Weak ball handling. Lack of coordination.

If you think I'm making this stuff up, just watch. Watch him on the offensive end and notice how teams completely ignore him and see what he does when he gets the ball.

« Reply #27 on: November 24, 2015, 10:08:07 PM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
I very much doubt it.  I think he has two more years left, including this year. 

The Sixers should be a bottom 4 team this year, and looking at their current roster the would be VERY hardpressed to turn that around to .500 in one season.

« Reply #28 on: November 24, 2015, 10:23:25 PM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
Even if they don't get Simmons there is a clear path to respectability next season and that is without breaking the bank in free agency.  Even just bringing over Saric and adding two high picks (their own and the Lakers) would immensely improve the talent, but if Embiid comes back all of a sudden there is a real chance of mediocrity next year.

A clear path?  I don't see it.  There are way too many dominoes that have to fall the right way for this to happen.

1 - Depends on Saric coming to the NBA that year, and actually being effective in the NBA (not a given, since he's yet to play an NBA minute)

2 - Depends on Embiid recovering from his injury issues, having a healthy year, and actually being effective in the NBA (also not a given, since he's yet to play an NBA minute)

3 - Depends on them getting the Lakers pick.  If it's protected and the Lakers fall top 3 (which has a pretty high chance of happening) then the Sixers don't get the pick

4 - Depends on them drafting a guy, with either their pick or the Lakers pick, who is able to contribute at a high level in the NBA from the get go (also not a given, as not all good players excel in their rookie years)

If all of the above falls into place then sure, they could turn it around quick.  But that's a lot of "IFs", and from where I'm standing it seems the odds are against them.

On the other hand, there is at least as strong a possibility that:

1) They don't get the Lakers pick
2) Embiid doesn't come back healthy or his production isn't what it was hailed to be
3) Saric comes back and struggles in the NBA, becomes a decent but nothing special player
4) Team doesn't reach 0.500 and Noel walks

If all that happens, then this entire Philly exercise is going to look extremely embarrassing, and their head office will be left with a great deal of egg on face. 

On the plus side, the latter scenario would prove highly valuable in helping to shush all of those obsessive tank enthusiasts...since there have been few (if any) teams in history who have tanked as hard as this Sixers team.   

« Reply #29 on: November 24, 2015, 10:27:29 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson

A line up of:
Newman (Lakers Pick)
Saric
Simmons
Noel
Okafor

Please watch him this year. The guy is so overrated. Sure he gets blocks and is active in passing lanes, but he's not the best rebounder, especially in traffic, and gets pushed around way too easily. On offense he's a trainwreck. No footwork. No post game. No perimeter game. Poor free throw shooter. Stone hands. Low IQ/awareness. Weak ball handling. Lack of coordination.

If you think I'm making this stuff up, just watch. Watch him on the offensive end and notice how teams completely ignore him and see what he does when he gets the ball.
Noel looked terrible early last season and looked much better towards the end.  This year he's trying to learn a new position playing next to Okafor so I'm not surprised he's playing worse.  Let's see how he looks the end of this season.