Author Topic: If the season ended today, who would you retain and who would you let walk?  (Read 3939 times)

Re: If the season ended today, who would you retain and who would you let walk?
« Reply #30 on: November 24, 2015, 02:42:36 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
Definitely don't want Lee back in any capacity. He'll just take time from Mickey-who I think needs to be in the regular rotation next season.

Don't mind if we sign Turner to a nice cheap deal because he's grown on me with his hustle and willingness to accept a bench role.

Would rather let Jerebko walk and fill his spot with a draft pick because he's pretty worthless overall in the 'development' scheme of things.

I'd hope to have:
Smart
Rozier
Hunter
Sully ($12×4 yrs)
Olynyk
IT
Mickey
Amir
Young
Crowder
Bradley
Nets pick
Dallas pick
Celtics pick
*free agent or 2nd rounder or minny pick.
Im assuming we'll consolidate the picks to move up with at least one. But yeah thats what id like to see next year.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #31 on: November 24, 2015, 07:14:43 AM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 392
I'd let Lee, Jerebko, and Zeller walk. Not a fan of their games and not a fan of seeing them in green.

I'd conditionally retain Turner, provided he's fine with coming off the bench in limited minutes. And I'd also retain Sully, provided he comes back on a reasonable contract or we haven't S+T'd him. I'd retain Amir too on a reasonable contract, but wouldn't mind letting him walk if he wants a big payday.

I really hope DA finds a trade partner by the ASB. We have too many guys on the same skill level (let's call them level "B" players). I'd trade a couple or a trio of B's to be able to acquire an A-level player or prospect. Sigh..

- LilRip

« Reply #32 on: November 24, 2015, 08:19:26 AM »

Offline __ramonezy__

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 62
Not sure if I'm changing OP if I include trades as a "let walk" option.

But I would seek trades for Sully and TZ... a contending team like the Spurs may be interested with so many of their parts close to expiration. A late first round pick should be fair value for both, maybe throw in some potential as well.

Let JJ, Lee

Keep Amir, Turner

Turner is grossly underrated due to the teams he's played on. Turner is a championship piece on a good team. The issue with our current team is that he's expected to be  a focal point on a team with bad shooting. I see Turner thriving if he is able to play off of a star

« Reply #33 on: November 24, 2015, 09:19:08 AM »

Offline apc

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 437
I would consider trading one of our first round picks to a future pick.

« Reply #34 on: November 24, 2015, 10:21:58 AM »

Offline MikeJelly

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 24
I let Lee, Jerebko, Zeller and Possibly Amir walk. Yes I said Amir. I'm not that impressed with the guy but I'd love to be proven wrong.

« Reply #35 on: November 24, 2015, 11:10:33 AM »

Offline otherdave

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 124
  • takes.....MAKES!!!!

Do we know the deadline on the second year option for Jerebko and Amir?  I might hold onto them as potential trade filler over the summer.  If the team strikes out on decent FA options, it might make sense to keep them.

Deadline for both (I believe) is July 3, 2016, which could be a little tricky.  C's will have to have a verbal commitment from potential new free agents by the 3rd in order to know whether it makes sense to pick up either option.  New free agent could then change mind (ala D Jordan) before the signing moratorium is lifted (around July 9 or 10th - has not been announced yet).

« Reply #36 on: November 24, 2015, 05:32:30 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862

Do we know the deadline on the second year option for Jerebko and Amir?  I might hold onto them as potential trade filler over the summer.  If the team strikes out on decent FA options, it might make sense to keep them.

Deadline for both (I believe) is July 3, 2016, which could be a little tricky.  C's will have to have a verbal commitment from potential new free agents by the 3rd in order to know whether it makes sense to pick up either option.  New free agent could then change mind (ala D Jordan) before the signing moratorium is lifted (around July 9 or 10th - has not been announced yet).

Yeah, basketballinsiders.com has both their vesting dates as July 3, 2016.

Note - it may sound like semantics, but neither contract is using a team 'option'.  They are both on non-guaranteed contracts for next year.   It is a subtle but important difference, not the least of which is that if they were using team options, the options would have to be exercised by June 30th.

Options have 'exercise-by' dates which are always the official last day of the prior season.

Non-guaranteed contracts have 'vesting dates' which are negotiable and can go all the way as late as early January.

Even with a vesting as early as July 3rd, those extra few days are huge potential trade opportunities for Danny.

There are a few other subtle differences.  This is a good read for fellow nerds:

http://www.shamsports.com/2013/07/there-is-difference-between-team-option.html

NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #37 on: November 24, 2015, 06:06:32 PM »

Offline ThaPreacher

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 174
  • THA PREACHER
Sully can have the Max .....

Might as well,......

i don't see Durrant , James , or Anthony Davis signing with Boston ....Griiffin, Cousins aren't leaving.

Give the money to somebody ....might as well be Sully.

I d rather give Sully Max money than an idiot like Whiteside.

Max what?

I was at the Brooklyn game last night,  Sully didn't even make it back on defense past half-court
on numerous occasions.  His 3 point percentage is .367.  He may match up against other centers at times, but clearly he is an PF who lacks speed or athleticism. He's a role player on a team filled with role players.  He's simply not worth star money.  I'd be surprised that he's here after February. And for the life of me, I cannot understand all the talk of his summer conditioning. I have not seen evidence of this, despite his sleek hairstyle.

I hope you aren't using that 3pt% as a knock b/c 37% is good for a guard and excellent for a big.

Sullinger ranks 18th in overall shooting percentage.  He's averaging 10 points a game.  I think he is a skilled rebounder but not necessarily elite.  I think you will see Danny Ainge deal Sullinger in a package.  I don't think the Celtics as presently constructed can compete in the playoffs with the top level teams.  The only players who can consistently get their shots off are IT and Evan Turner.  But those guys are role players as well.
I think that both Brad Stevens and Danny Ainge understand the limitations of the Celtics Roster as presently constructed.  Hence the number of rumors during the draft.  How do you keep Zeller, Sullinger, Kelly O, David Lee and Amir Johnson?
Consider this- Boston has potentially 4 first round picks along with some 2nd round picks in the upcoming draft.  Terry Rozier, James Young, RJ Hunter and Jordan Mickey can not truly develop behind the logjam we have. 

I'm predicting that a combination of the mutant PF's/C will be dealt. Sully/Zeller
I can't see the Celtics holding on to Marcus Smart, Avery Bradley, Terry Rozier and IT.

Trader Danny is going to clear out some of this roster, watch and see.
"Just do what you do best."  -Red Auerbach-

« Reply #38 on: November 24, 2015, 06:12:44 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

Yeah, basketballinsiders.com has both their vesting dates as July 3, 2016.

Note - it may sound like semantics, but neither contract is using a team 'option'.  They are both on non-guaranteed contracts for next year.   It is a subtle but important difference, not the least of which is that if they were using team options, the options would have to be exercised by June 30th.

That's a really important difference, as you note.  Thanks for pointing it out.

So the team gets the moratorium period plus the first couple days of free agency to figure out if they will be in a position to keep Jerebko and / or Amir, or if they want to cut them to create more cap space.

edit: nevermind, I see noted above that the moratorium doesn't end until July 9 / 10.  For some reason I was thinking free agency started on the 1st.  That's when the moratorium typically starts.

Still a useful window.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #39 on: November 24, 2015, 07:08:47 PM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372
Lee can go.  Turner can go. 

Love how people here hate on Turner when it is clear as day that Stevens loves him.  I doubt he "walks" unless a team offers him a ton.

« Reply #40 on: November 24, 2015, 10:07:03 PM »

Offline ThePoeticWolf

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 14
Lee - Let go take the cap money.
Johnson - Waive and resign 2 years 14 million over the contract.
Jerebko - Waive, was a pointless sign
Turner - Sign, valuable to more then any other team, plays multiple positions. 2 years 8 million
Zeller - Let go and work a sign an trade.
Sully - Sign, our best big man.  4 years 36 million maybe 40 million. 

Team left
Bradley - Keep
Thomas - Keep
Crowder - Keep
Smart - Keep
Olynk - Trade while value is high on draft night
Rozier - Trade to a team needing a point guard, high value.
Young - Keep, still willing to wait this year out and some of next year.
Mikey - Keep
Hunter - Keep

If drafted today roughly our picks are here.  Updated: 11/18/15 11:05 pm
http://www.nbadraft.net/2016mock_draft

#2 -
Skal Labissiere
6-11
PF/C
Kentucky

#9 -    
Cheick Diallo
6-9
PF/C
Kansas
Fr.

#13 -
Caris LeVert
6-7
SG
Michigan
Sr.

#22 -
Tyrone Wallace
6-6
PG/SG
California
Sr.

#31 -
Devin Robinson
6-8
SF/PF
Florida
So

#43 -
Michael Gbinije
6-7
SG/SF
Syracuse
Sr.

#55 -
Damion Lee
6-6
SG
Louisville
Sr.

#59 -
Rade Zagorac
6-8
SG/SF
Serbia
Intl.

My Picks I'd like to see
Not totally sold on these picks because I rather different players.  I'll start by saying I hope we get the number 1 pick because of the Nets so I'd draft.  But if number 2 I'd still draft Skal Labissiere, could potential be our start center.  If we decide to pass on Skal Labissiere I also like Brandon Ingram, being a need at the small forward and draft bigs later.  If we could land Ben Simmons he's our starting small forward I would hope.  Let Crowder come off the bench again and be our spark plug with Thomas.

If we get the #1
#1 -
Ben Simmons
6-10
SF/PF
LSU
Fr.

If we get the #2 - Skal Labissiere or
Brandon Ingram
6-9
SF
Duke
Fr.

#9 - Kid has just raw talent as a center and under Stevens I think he'd be a great center for years to come with the Celtics.  Also a true 7 foot center, shot blocker and defensive minded big who can also score.
Damian Jones
7-0
C
Vanderbilt
Jr.

#13 - Trade this for a first in 2017.  A couple players I think would be nice at this spot but trade for assets later and players in future years

#23 - Think he could play as a small forward for us, and a scorer at will.  But I also have a personal favorite after watching him play and him being a senor in college Taurean Prince.  He's a great defender and shooter.  A player who I can see fitting in with the Celtics almost better then anyone in this draft. 
Dwayne Bacon
6-7
SG
Florida St.

Taurean Prince
6-7
SF
Baylor
Sr.
Fr.

#31 - Going after a traditional center, they say he'll make it to 40, but I'd take a gamble with him in the 1st pick of the second round.  We build or center, he reminds me of a bigger version of Perkins just more polished.  Recommend looking at him if you don't know who he is.
AJ Hammons
7-0
C
Purdue
Sr.

#43 - I like the sites pick but also wouldn't mind trading this pick if can get some future picks for it, or Gbinije would be a nice pick up this late.
Michael Gbinije
6-7
SG/SF
Syracuse
Sr.

#55 and 59 picks I'd combo and move them for a pick if we can.  Nobody this late in this draft that makes me want them 

« Reply #41 on: November 24, 2015, 10:20:49 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Lee can go.  Turner can go. 

Love how people here hate on Turner when it is clear as day that Stevens loves him.  I doubt he "walks" unless a team offers him a ton.

He's just not that good.  Stevens "loves" him because he's one of two wings on this team who has proven he can play minutes in the NBA without killing his team.  Hopefully RJ will start to eat away at his minutes.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain