Author Topic: If the season ended today, who would you retain and who would you let walk?  (Read 3938 times)

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2156
Is Ainge going to let everyone walk and insert recent draft picks to take their place?  As it stands,

Lee
Johnson
Jerebko
Turner
Zeller
Sully

are all set to expire. With

Bradley
Thomas
Crowder
Smart
Olynk
Rozier
Young
Mikey
Hunter

Under contract.

The only color that matters is GREEN

Offline sofutomygaha

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 343

Aren't Jerebko and Johnson still ours through 2016-17?

Boy, contract year Evan Turner is turning out be kind of interesting, isn't he?

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Lee can go.  Turner can go. 

I think it makes sense for the team to look into re-signing both Sullinger and Zeller if they haven't been traded by the time free agency opens.  No sense in letting an asset walk for nothing, though I might balk if somebody offers Sully 4 years on big money.

Do we know the deadline on the second year option for Jerebko and Amir?  I might hold onto them as potential trade filler over the summer.  If the team strikes out on decent FA options, it might make sense to keep them.

While the Celts have roughly a million draft picks next year, I expect Ainge to attempt to consolidate some of them, and use most of the 2nd rounders on draft-and-stash guys.  Still, I think we should expect at least 2 rookies on the roster next season. 

That's a lot when you consider the team will probably be carrying Rozier, Hunter, Mickey, and Young already.  More than a third of the roster will likely be made up of guys with very little combined meaningful NBA experience.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 419
I'd let Lee resign at something like 3 years, $16 million.  That's probably too little for what he wants, but if he doesn't want it, he can sign somewhere else.

I'd shop Amir hard (fully waivable $12 million is an amazing trade asset, it's why his contract was set up that way) but otherwise keep him. 

Turner can walk.

Jerebko can stay for a very small salary.

Zeller can walk.

Sully - I need to see him all year before I know what to do and he's not signing an extension before that.

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

Boy, contract year Evan Turner is turning out be kind of interesting, isn't he?

Isn't he more or less what he's always been? 

I like him in his current role -- 25 minutes or so off the bench, gives you 9 or 10 points plus a smattering of assists, rebounds, and the occasional steal or block.  Meanwhile he will have a few plays a game that tantalize -- the baseline post-up fade, the free throw line pull-up, the spin dribble into the lane and the crazy floater finish.  Couple that with a handful of face-palm overdribbles and turnovers, plus a couple bricks from outside and the occasional made jumper outside of 15 feet.

Turner's not a bad player.  But see above -- the Celts have a lot of young guys who need playing time to develop.  I don't think it makes much sense to keep him around only to block younger players -- who may have a ceiling higher than "a guy you don't hate having on your bench."
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 867
Lee, Johnson, Jerebko, Turner, and Zeller are all expendable/replaceable in my opinion.  I think the Rookies we draft will be better than most of these guys or at least have more value and promise.  Sully I would want to keep if he doesn't get to expensive.  We are going to need up to 4 or 5 roster spots just for our draft picks (we can't stash all of them).  They will probably pick up Johnson so that means the other 4 (Lee, Jerebko, Turner, and Zeller) are very likely gone, and maybe all 5.

The under contract group, Bradley, Thomas, Crowder, Smart, Olynyk, Rozier, Young, Mikey, and Hunter are all keepers assuming they don't get "consolidated" through a trade.

Offline alewilliam789

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 76
Only players I'm keeping out of that group are Sully and maybe Amir Johnson if we can't find any alternatives in FA. Hasta la vista to the rest. I'd preferably want to trade Turner to a team like the Spurs or the Rockets because I feel like he has some type of market value.

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 413
I keep Thomas..everyone else can go..but I like Turner to a bench role
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
Sully can stay for a reasonable contract.

Lee can go.

Tyler Z can stay for the minimum (it would never happen)

Amir can go rather than spend 9 mill.

Jerebko can go

Evan can stay for like 3 mill with annual raises for 4 years.

These players just generally don't represent almost any kind of upgrade over what we have or would replace them with. Sully is really the only one, but he's not showing himself to be some sort of all star or indispensable guy. Evan is showing himself to be a great 11th man and he should be paid like one. Same for Zeller. He's tall, young, and plays the center spot somewhat competently. I don't think that should translate to more than 6 mill or so no matter what. He simply shouldn't be paid what Crowder or Avery get.

Here's a question. Would you rather T Zeller at 6mill or Anthony Bennet or Biyombo or Spencer Hawes at virtually the minimum? Because teams that figure out the answer to this question will be the winners.

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
Sully can have the Max .....

Might as well,......

i don't see Durrant , James , or Anthony Davis signing with Boston ....Griiffin, Cousins aren't leaving.

Give the money to somebody ....might as well be Sully.

I d rather give Sully Max money than an idiot like Whiteside.

Re: If the season ended today, who would you retain and who would you let walk?
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2015, 06:45:43 PM »

Offline GreenWarrior

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 228
only way i'm keeping sully is if we can't upgrade and if he's the best of the free agents left.

other than that, only guy I want to keep on this team is Smart. everyone else can go.

« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2015, 06:46:39 PM »

Offline hagar55voa

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 12
Keep Zeller...Let the rest walk...

« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2015, 06:55:07 PM »

Offline Jon

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 385
It's really tough to say at this point.  I know we're pretending the season ends now, but what we don't know who is who we have a realistic chance to make a run at this offseason or what our draft picks will be.  Sure, at the right price, I think most of us would like Sully, Zeller, Johnson, and maybe even Jerbenko, Lee, or even Turner back.  But what is that price and what are our other options.

But to be a bit more cooperative with the gist of the post, I'd say at this point the only guys I'd think twice about letting walk are Sullinger and Johnson (if we didn't pick up his option). 

With everyone else, I'd only worry about bringing them back if it was convenient. 

« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2015, 06:59:12 PM »

Offline GreenWarrior

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 228
we should build around the kid david lee.

« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2015, 07:15:46 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1762
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
I'd shop Zeller, Lee, and JJ for any one player I could get at the deadline since I am okay with losing those guys.

I'd try Turner to sign Turner for a deal similar to what he is making now - maybe an extra year and maybe an extra $1-2M. He can play three positions and is a great fill-in starter when needed. He seems like he buys into the Celtics system.

If we can't upgrade Sully and Amir, I don't mind keeping them as they complement each other fairly well and are both productive. I wouldn't want to pay Sully more than what he is making now.