Author Topic: Starting Hunter  (Read 803 times)

Starting Hunter
« on: November 23, 2015, 12:32:17 PM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
I would have started Hunter over Bradley. I don't like having two small guards in the backcourt at the same time.

I'm not saying Hunter is better than Bradley overall.

Re: Starting Hunter
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2015, 12:36:06 PM »

Offline coffee425

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 122
I would have started Hunter over Bradley. I don't like having two small guards in the backcourt at the same time.

In the same vein, I'm sure that CBS doesn't like having two below average perimeter defenders against NBA starting guards
Even at the end of the game, we lined up in different formation that he hadn't seen and he called out our play before I got the ball. I heard him calling it out. -John Wall on Brad Stevens

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2015, 12:54:49 PM »

Offline arctic 3.0

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 406
I've been thinking about what to do with the backcourt lineup while smart is out.
personally I don't think the answer is to start Hunter but instead to look at the back court pairings and perhaps create sets of starting pairs.
I'm looking froward to the backcourt version of Kevin O's excellent front page pice on front court pairings (ahem… any time now K.O)
in the absence of the statistical I'll go with my eye test analysis…

IT and Smart are a great on the floor pairing. Smarts size and defensive aggressiveness compliment IT. IT for beeter or worse will play with the ball in his hands and while this may not help MS develop into a starting caliber PG it works to win now.

IT and Bradley just don't fit as well. Offensively IT and bradley are more potent then IT/MS but size matters on D and despite Bradley's tenacious D we are unable to bully opposing backcourts into submission (our calling card) with this lineup.

I propose that in the absence of smart we move Turner into the starting lineup with bradley.
It becomes the 6th man until smart comes back and Hunter assumes Turners role off the bench.
This gives us the size we need to maintain the D (its a drop off from Smart to Turner but ET is a good team defender and can take the larger guard). Keeping Bradley in the starting line up insures we have a pit bull on the floor to set the tone.

Hunter, while young, is a heads up player who facilitates well and shows the ability to read and react on D like a vet.

Once smart returns BS has the option of swapping out starting backcourts if he sees fit.
Much like the analysis of front court pairing and the demonstrated impact the wholesale swap out of lee/zeller for Johnson/Sully had on our success i think it would be wise for BS to contemplate the same analysis for the back court… and I'm confident he is crunching the numbers. (In brad I trust)

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2015, 12:56:45 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238
How about Hunter starting along with Bradley and Turner?

On O, Turner becomes the primary ballhandler.

On D, Bradley guards the 1, Hunter the 2 and Turner the 3.

IT comes off the bench as the 6th Man of the Year.

Crowder can start depending on the matchup at the 4.

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2015, 03:45:08 PM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460

In the same vein, I'm sure that CBS doesn't like having two below average perimeter defenders against NBA starting guards

Bradley is not a great defender at the two.
He pairs better with Turner.